Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freestyle Pics: '82-'90 -Photos added Mar, 30- (dialups beware)
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Freestyle BMX
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
STRIKE
"Humidity Sac" here on VBMX found and emailed me some pics of myself from back in the day, which started this thread. Now I've moved on to posting pics of other from our freestyle team BITD.

Oh man, those were the days, dang I miss that wedge ramp.

Photo by humidity saC
Here I am, at our local spot (a car dealership) where everyone would come to ride at night. I don't know exactly why I'm so close to the wall, but I hope I'm not cheezing out by leaning up against it.

Photo by humidity saC
Oh man, if this wedge ramp could talk it would say "Sheesh, leave me alone already!!!" We used the heck out of that thing and it just kept on taking it.

Photo by humidity saC
Another of my wedgeramp madness. Man, I loved riding that thing.

I know I have some older ones lying around somewhere...If anyone's intersted, I'll try to dig them out.

[ March 30, 2006, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
Pete Q
DIG EM OUT!
humidity saC
Hey STRIKE. I'm glad you like them. I just found a big box of some freestyle pics from BITD. I will get some more scanned in tomorrow for ya! It gets me stoked again! We had so much fun back then!

saC
rob delaney
Cool pics man, wheres the rest
Rob
FreeEnterprise
Great pics. Yeah we want to see em.

Helps us relive that great feeling of no worries, bills, kids, work and lets ride.

or as we used to yell

SKO RYD!

I am from the south.

ps. nice break guard, I think you were suppost to put it on the back of the front brake.
STRIKE
Is that SKO RYD Zine lingo I hear?
bmx-bandit
The pics are killer... Wow the style.. what ever happened to that style of Strike????
humidity saC
Stay tuned, I just found some more of the Striker!
rad_dad_67
OOO heck yeah Strike!!! Nice picture!!!
gts340
Yeah, the Buff Guard on the rear brake is interesting. I suppose it worked just as well there. Great pics. What year bike is that?
Jeff S
Nice pictures Strike. Always love old school pics.

Jeff
rick kast
sac-from denver-knew strike bitd- i think i know who you are! good talking to you from the rock after almost 20 years.
talk soon, i have your number.
STRIKE

Photo by humidity saC

Ahhh, Minnesota winters, you do what you can. I think this shot was from 1986 in the saC's basement, doing kickturns with my freewheel tuffs. I love this shot for the simple fact that you can see my GT forkstanders (with the rubber foot pegs), my MDP chainstay stands and my mountain bike brake levers.

Photo by humidity saC
Another shot from the saC's basement, 1987 I think? Looking back at these pictures, my bikes were pretty d@mn ugly, a mish mash of colors and brands. I was a cheap SOB so I never had 3-piece cranks or matching bike parts LOL.

Photo by humidity saC
This shot of me is from about '88 or so in front of the Coon Rapids, MN armory. All the local AFA sanctioned contests took place here. Note the two swatches? Ok yeah, I admit, I was trying to be a little bit trendy.

Ahhh good times, good times.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
humidity saC
Yeah, I remember when Dave Nourie would trade you some bike parts for your Swatch while they were on the '86 or '87 tour. After that, seemed like everybody was wearing multiple Swatches. Dave got two of mine that year! LOL! Wonder what he did with all of them. He had to have hundreds of them!!!

Hey Rick, your hunch was right. You do know who I am! And I enjoyed catching up with you to after 20 years. Us old BMX'ers will not die, we just lose a little more of our hair and aren't as fast as we once were! lol

saC
The 26incher
Got to love the mullet!
Axlepeg
Don't diss your bikes, man, they're sweet. That Kickturn pic is standard-issue "Poster-Boy of Freestyle 1986".
Excellent choice in quality mixed components, trickery, photograpy, attire, hairstyle...

That is one of the best vintage pics I've seen posted on this site. Thank you.

[ July 01, 2005, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Axlepeg ]
humidity saC
Well guys, if you like them, there will be more coming tonight! My scanner is still steaming from all the pics I scanned. You could say Strike and I rode A LOT together! lol

saC
STRIKE

Photo by humidity saC
Here’s a shot of me during one of our “Transitional Freestyle Team” (TFT) shows. Thinking back, these shows were awesome, I was so nervous…it was always a rush to get the ramps to the parking lots, set up the pa system and all that jazz. Man, that was a lot of fun!

Photo by ???
I think that this photo sums up the term “ramp up the jawn” quite well. Humidity saC tries to channel Ron Wilton, while I add a bit of style to the shot. Those basement sessions were always a good time.

Photo by ???
The saC shows us that he DOES have cajones. A cold December day and no snow...what can you do but pullout the wedge ramp? But look at that, he’s on the freaking edge!!

Photo by ???
Another shot of the humidity saC, this time with his favorite trick…the no handed pedal picker.

Photo by ???
This is just a great shot…I have nothing more to say about it. The saC again.

Photo by humidity saC
I saved this one for last…this is the best picture I’ve ever seen of myself.

Thanks for digging those out and scanning them Chris, they are STOKE!

[ July 11, 2005, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
rick
Oh friggin' rock on!!!! Lovin' it!!!
Bedlam Bikes
YES !! That is AWESOME !!
STRIKE
One more for the night.

Photo by ???

This was taken at the same show I'm in (above). Humidity saC apparently loves the wedge ramp, while "king of pipeline" is a mere gawker in the crowd. Since they're trendy, they're both running GT freestyle bars.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
rob delaney
thats is what freestyle is all about!!!!!!!!
BB
Nice pics i feel like i was there.bb
STRIKE
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'll continue to post old pics as they're sent to me and I'm going to break out my scanner this weekend.

As far as the BUFF GUARD goes, yeah I know it's supposed to go on the front, but I had a Nippon with the recessed nut (hex wrench) in front, so I put my Buff Guard on the rear.

It really came in handy when I wanted to bust out back wheel hops like BB used to do in the old Haro shows!

[ July 01, 2005, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
STRIKE

Photo by Railroad Ty
I loved tweaking these lawnmowers, I guess you could say they were one of those "trademark tricks" that a person just loves to do.

Photo by ?????
Ok...ok...here's the "fedora" picture that a few people have asked me to post...and yes I got the idea from that issue of FREESTYLIN' with the "Style" article.

More pictures coming this weekend, people other than myself LOL. "king of pipeline" will finally get his due.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
86EndoKing
Those pics are sweet, Classic!! Keep 'em coming!

86EK
STRIKE
Here's another member of the TFT (Transitional Freestyle Team), Scotty B.

Photo by STRIKE
Scott could always get the most air of any of us out of this 6' quarter. I don't know who took this shot, but their timing was off a bit.

Photo by STRIKE
Scott always wore his full face MX helmet when riding flatland. He didn't have too many brain cells left so he didn't want to take any chances. Bwahahahaha, he's not a member here, but after reading this, maybe he'll join?

Photo by STRIKE
Scott, rockin' the Woody Itson bars and the fuzzy mullet? See how the photographer makes even Scott look good in this shot?

Don't fret, there are a lot more to come.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
wds
Nice photos STRIKE. After seeing these, I really look forward to riding with you. Despite our combined age & loss of skills!

That pic of you on the short ramp on the top of this page - was that at a shop in Roch.? I think I may have been to that one... (not show, just the shop)
Jeff S
Great pictures! Its really cool that you guys actually took the time to take a bunch of pictures. Unfortunately myself and the guys I rode with never really thought to do that.

Jeff
Axlepeg
Those all cool pics! Oh, the freakin' Fedora! I wet myself.
How much easier were the hopping tricks when you actually ran the recommended 35 pounds-per square inch? I did a Fire Hydrant to Cherrypicker last week and run about 110lbs in my tires. Talk about SOLID.
STRIKE
Heh, glad you like the shots.

Bill, that shop was called "Beltline Schwinn", it was small and basically carried BMX parts. It was located on the south side of Rochester, near the "ear of corn" watertower.

Jeff, I'm glad we took pics too, now I'm wishing we had taken more though...

Axlepeg, actually, my rear tire didn't have the recommended poundage in it during that shot. I probably had about 20lbs in it. I actually remember that day, thinking that I shouldn't try a cherrypicker with my tire that low, but I did anyway.
STRIKE
Well, since "king of pipeline" (KOP) is so vain, he has all the pics I took of him back in the day. That being the case, I'll have to post some of the shots the saC sent me recently.

Photo by humidity saC
Makin' Brian Blyther proud with some back hop action.

Photo by humidity saC
KOP miami hoppers in humidity saC's basement.

Photo by humidity saC
Another basement session photo. KOP had to make like Mike Dominguez at the first KOV in Le Seur, MN and dodge the rafters.

Photo by humidity saC
This has got to be the best of them all, check out the crowd at a local contest's sticker toss! Of course KOP is too cool to take part.

Photo by STRIKE
Here's a shot of KOP I took this spring.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
twintoptuber
You guys had some great bikes. Anyone else notice the 1st gen. Haro Master?
humidity saC
You're right twin. Oh, how I miss my old '83 Master. If ANYBODY knows of one for sale or trade out there, I would love to rebuild my "baby" again. Strike still has his original 1st gen. Freestyler. He wants to restore it and bring it to Rockford next year! That will be awesome!

It's funny to look at the prgression of the sport through pictures. All of our early pictures are hopping or balancing and we have no rear detanglers. Then, you look just a year or two later and we are all doing more spinning type tricks and we all have rear detanglers. I remember Strike and I both had Skyway Spinmasters back then. Effective, but weak braking power to say the least.

Then of course, that got trumped by the Gyro and then everyone finally had rear brakes that worked! Thank you Brian Scura and Steve Potts! Without their two freestyle innovations, where would the sport be? Hmmmm.

saC
STRIKE
Thanks TTT.

Since it's slow, here are a couple shots of myself.

Photo by Railroad Ty
Wedge ramp footplant.

Photo by Scott B (I think.)
Snowjumping. Strange but this is the ONLY snow jumping picture I have of any of us. We used to do it every winter...oh man, what fun!!

[ July 11, 2005, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
STRIKE

Photo by STRIKE

This shot is of humidity saC, getting the most air I've ever seen out of him. When we moved our 8' quarterpipe to my back yard, my goal was to have a Camarillo type of setup. As you can see, we cut down our old 8' quarter and made a "launching pad" out of it...the place was hours of fun. It became so popular that I had people I didn't know coming over and riding while I & my parents were gone, thank all that is holy no one got hurt. Photo by yours truly.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
Axlepeg
quote:
I actually remember that day, thinking that I shouldn't try a cherrypicker with my tire that low, but I did anyway.
No need to explain. You see, I, too, once wore a fedora...it felt like nothing in the world could stop me.

Thanks for posting those awesome pics.
gts340
Man, very cool shots guys. I do have some pics of us BITD, but they aren't very good and all are from the same day. My cousin came down from MN for the summer and stayed with me for a week. He brought his camera and those are the ONLY pics of us riding I have seen. I'll get them scanned some day.

I had people riding my ramp all the time too. They would act all tough like they had the right to be there and said they knew the owner. Then I told them it was mine and the attitude changed fast. I finally pad locked PVC pipe with a chain through it at the bottom of each side of the halfpipe to keep riders off.
COASTY
Lovin' that big air pic Strike. Way cool!
Heres Me

[ July 06, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Coastvl ]
STRIKE
Axlepeg, if you think the fedora pictures are embarassing, wait...I have worse ones. I'll post them SOMETIME!

Coastvl, Awesome shot!!! I love the mongoose & tuffs, especially in a concrete park! That looks like a lot of fun, man!
BuffaloUK
So true Strike, "build it and they will come", we had a 1/2 pipe bitd and man did people turn up.
Bob_Acid
excellent pictures Strike!
FreeEnterprise
Great pics. Thanks alot.
STRIKE
Ok, here's one of the more embarassing pictures of me, I have another one that's worse...I'll save that one for later.

Photo by Scott B

At the time, I thought my shorts were a decent length...wow was my self perception off. LOL

[ July 11, 2005, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
Pete Q
Let's see the Fedora pics, Joey Jeremia!

..........I hope I'm not the only one that watched Degrassi High.
STRIKE
I have no more fedora pics. Sorry all.
STRIKE

Photo by ???
humidity saC during another basement session. If you look closely, you can see the white outline of the GT coaster hub I sold to the saC. Of course he lost it or threw it away or something. What a dirt.

Photo by humidity saC
The saC's old ride...first gen Master with VDC Woody bars, coaster tuff II's and CompST tires. Very nice!

Photo by humidity saC
Here's Scott busting out a basic rampstall. FYI, those are the same VDC Woody bars that saC had on the bike above.

Photo by ???
This is me during one of our shows. I think Rick Kast may be in the crowd, I'm not sure though. This is , truthfully, about as much air as I was able to get. I think riding the back brake up to the ramp had something to do with it.

I've still got a bunch of photos to post, so keep checking back.

[ July 11, 2005, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: STRIKE ]
donvader
Al these pictures are great! Here's the only old one of me that I have riding, I've posted it before. I think 1986.

COASTY
I found another pic of me Jumping at my mates house. These pics were taken by a magazine photographer for an article. They never used these shots (but theres heaps of others), so he blew them up and gave them to us.

[ July 07, 2005, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Coastvl ]
STRIKE
Aww yeah guys, that's what I'm talking about!

donvader, that bike is off the hook with color!

coastlvl, THAT is a great pic!! If it were me, I'd have it blown up into a poster and frame it, but then again I'm vain as hell LOL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.