Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The "Big Event 2016" is finally here...
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
JMLVMI
For as much as I have personally derided the effect that the Olympics have had on BMX, I'm still excited to watch today!

Did I read it right that the semis are going to be 3 rounds total points as well? I thought usually they were single elimination at UCI World Cups...

Go USA!
JMLVMI
Semis were intense! Bring on the finals!
Brett Middaugh
Connor.
Gold.

What now?

(I...um, teared up a bit here. This would have been a fantasy of mine as a kid, to see an American win gold at an olympics on a BMX bike. My youth no longer feels quite as wasted...but it was still fun as hell, LOL.)
FaithBMX
I believe this can make a difference, but it'll take a concerted effort between the riders, agents, the sanction, and the industry.
We have to get Connor, Alise, and Nic in front of America!!!
DutchDevl
A great race from Connor and a great race in general for the main event of the Men. Such a beautiful and exciting race. Consider that Van Gorkom went into the 2nd turn on 5th/6th place with Ramirez and they actually got the Silver and Bronze just shows how exciting our race can be and how untrue the "first into first turn always wins" is on these tracks with the best guys in the world (Nic came out of turn 1 first I believe).

It was just a great race and today in general was a lot better than yesterday in the racing.

I want to congratulate America, Columbia and Venezuela with their medals!
JMLVMI
As far as supercross races go, I don't think it could have gone any better. No huge wrecks to scare people off, lead changes, passing in the turns, and of course, an American on top!
macdoa
While the racing showed pretty well today, I think BMX lost a lot of its audience yesterday.
Several people I work with, who know that my son and I have been involved in BMX for many years, sought me out today to essentially express their horror with what they saw in the quarters. These are regular people with young kids that should be the target audience for recruitment. They were more concerned with the condition of the injured than the outcome of today’s racing despite there being a Canadian in the finals. Even the coverage of the event seemed to go out of its way to emphasize the danger of the sport by detailing the injuries that many of the riders were coming back from.
Hopefully the success of the US riders can be parlayed into a boost at the local level but I don’t think that will happen without some careful planning and packaging. In contrast, the success of someone like Simone Biles is likely already having a positive impact on gymnastics.
D_Man
QUOTE (macdoa @ Aug 19 2016, 08:43 PM) *
While the racing showed pretty well today, I think BMX lost a lot of its audience yesterday.
Several people I work with, who know that my son and I have been involved in BMX for many years, sought me out today to essentially express their horror with what they saw in the quarters. These are regular people with young kids that should be the target audience for recruitment. They were more concerned with the condition of the injured than the outcome of today’s racing despite there being a Canadian in the finals. Even the coverage of the event seemed to go out of its way to emphasize the danger of the sport by detailing the injuries that many of the riders were coming back from.
Hopefully the success of the US riders can be parlayed into a boost at the local level but I don’t think that will happen without some careful planning and packaging. In contrast, the success of someone like Simone Biles is likely already having a positive impact on gymnastics.

Yeah, the BBC commentators I was watching noted that some of the riders were "more metal than man" with the number of pins and plates in them, and kept going on and on about how broken bones are part of this "unforgiving sport." And then of course they show every crash in slow mo several times.

The racing was undeniably excellent and dynamic---not the follow the leader stuff you see in some less elite racing. The racers are the best they have ever been. On the other hand, the number of crashes and injuries just seemed excessive to me. Too much helltrack, even for riders at the pinnacle of the sport. It's cool to watch on TV, but I think it'll scare off more newbies than it attracts. What other Olympic sport injures that many people over the course of a single competition?
klakke
Obviously great and exciting racing, and it definitely showed that BMX is entertaining. However, there was also a lot of pretty serious crashes. I think we need a 5 meter hill and a track build on a flat ground, not a downhill track. The speeds just seem to be too high.
FaithBMX
It could definitely be toned down to promote better racing while still be just as exciting to watch.
Capt. Caveman
other Olympic sport injuries

first day of mens gymnastics. one guy broke his leg I believe it ended up being a compound fracture.
gymnastics causes more injuries than BMX could ever imagine. but it is a sport that they look at the sport not the injuries. they have commentators that can talk about more than what injuries the athlete has live through in their career.

rugby did you see the guy with his head split open like a over ripe melon

soccer cant remember what team but another fractured lower leg

weightlifting did you see the video of the guys elbow completely letting go trust me they aren't supposed to bend that direction.

I can go on but BMX the injuries were only talked about because the lousy commentators knew nothing else to talk about. get someone in the booth that knows the sport and you will have a much better view of the sport.
D_Man
QUOTE (Capt. Caveman @ Aug 22 2016, 05:13 AM) *
other Olympic sport injuries

first day of mens gymnastics. one guy broke his leg I believe it ended up being a compound fracture.
gymnastics causes more injuries than BMX could ever imagine. but it is a sport that they look at the sport not the injuries. they have commentators that can talk about more than what injuries the athlete has live through in their career.

rugby did you see the guy with his head split open like a over ripe melon

soccer cant remember what team but another fractured lower leg

weightlifting did you see the video of the guys elbow completely letting go trust me they aren't supposed to bend that direction.

I can go on but BMX the injuries were only talked about because the lousy commentators knew nothing else to talk about. get someone in the booth that knows the sport and you will have a much better view of the sport.

Yeah, injury is a possibility in a lot of sports, but I guess I'd like to know the injuries per capita in Rio for BMX v. Other sports.
Capt. Caveman
All the injuries I posted happened in Rio.
I didn't see any of that crazy stuff on the BMX track at Rio. yes there were crashes, but I didn't see legs pointing in different directions than they were supposed to like gymnastics, or elbows bending in directions they weren't supposed to like weightlifting, and I didn't see the track turn red from blood like the rugby field.
BMX needs better commentators at the Olympics. Someone who actually lives the sport not some idiot reading off of a teleprompter
get Redman in the booth. Get anyone besides the morons they have had the last 2 Olympics.
Capt. Caveman
hahaa I got auto edited hahaa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.