Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2016 World Championships Questions
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
PracticeChamp080
I have contacted the USAC and USABMX in regards to a "team hotel." According to USAC there is not team hotel this year, but it is possible the USABMX maybe block off some rooms.

I would like to book the trip ASAP, anyone know what hotels are close to the facility? The Worlds Official website is not the cleanest site in the world.

Thanks All!
MikeCarruth
From my understanding, it is advisable to find a local BMXer as a "fixer" who can help you smooth out the challenges you are likely to encounter, and also to translate. For example: in many cities, driving of private cars is only permitted on alternating days of the week.

I am working on an article for BMX News along these lines and hope to have it posted sometime next week.

Best,

M
TM of the Stars
The Worlds is an awesome experience, and if you've never felt the electricity of a South American race, you owe it to yourself to make this one! Medellin should be a Worlds for the ages!

If you go to the "map listing" of hotels on hotels.com and zoom in a few clicks, you will see an airstrip (not the International airport, btw). The Challenge track is located right at the northern tip of the runway. If you go up the map (north) a little, there is a clump of hotels in the Laureles area. I have stayed in that area and it is an easy 10 minute ride to the track...just look both ways twice before crossing the road! There are a ton of affordable options on there.

Hopefully USABMX will release their pricing, host hotel and tour options soon!

Best,
Jason
Bumpy
It's odd (but not surprising) that USAC isn't providing logistical support for the riders. There is certainly a team hotel for the USAC coaches. It doesn't seem that 3F Sports is offering packages like last year, or at least isn't responding to requests at this point, so it seems legit that riders are on their own.

Is there anything definitive that USA BMX is involved in this race to a greater extent than they have been in the past? I'm not sure what's in it for them.
TM of the Stars
Bumpy, I think USABMX is working on a plan...they are handling the Challenge classes. I have begged and pleaded with Nick Adams...if they feel the need to gouge the riders at the same level USAC did in the past for "support," please keep it or sell it a la carte. Fingers and toes are crossed for a fair deal!
MikeCarruth
Ken Whelpdale confirmed that they are not offering packages for this year's worlds.
thebondtrader55
QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Mar 6 2016, 10:15 PM) *
Ken Whelpdale confirmed that they are not offering packages for this year's worlds.

Any reason given Mike?
Bumpy
I'd kinda like to see that the challenge track actually exists before paying for the registration. mellow.gif
TM of the Stars
QUOTE (Bumpy @ Mar 9 2016, 11:51 PM) *
I'd kinda like to see that the challenge track actually exists before paying for the registration. mellow.gif

The track is already there, but it is getting a rebuild. There is a Colombian National there a weekend or two before the Worlds. I think Ritz is doing the build.
Bumpy
QUOTE (TM of the Stars @ Mar 9 2016, 07:37 PM) *
The track is already there, but it is getting a rebuild. There is a Colombian National there a weekend or two before the Worlds. I think Ritz is doing the build.

By challenge track I meant the rebuild, but it's promising that another event is also scheduled before hand. I didn't know that. I hope they can still put something together that is as high quality as Zolder.

USA BMX posted hotel info today, which is also good to see.

I will be more patient. LOL.
Bumpy
Picture of the challenge track posted on FB last Friday. With practice scheduled to start in one week it looks like they have some work to do. I know construction pictures can be a bit deceiving but if I were going it would sure be nice to have seen the gate finished before packing up the bikes.

klakke
QUOTE (Bumpy @ May 15 2016, 10:44 PM) *
Picture of the challenge track posted on FB last Friday. With practice scheduled to start in one week it looks like they have some work to do. I know construction pictures can be a bit deceiving but if I were going it would sure be nice to have seen the gate finished before packing up the bikes.

With Elite Trax' track record of soft and semi-finished tracks that are supposed to be used for major races. Its, IMO, pretty crazy that they finish this track about 1 week before the worlds. Which after all is a big and important race. But as always, they dont seem to give a.
99BMXican
Both tracks are done.
Mike Fields
Anyone know where to watch on the web? Don't think it is on bmxlive.tv.

Thoughts?
JMLVMI
Apparently there is no broadcast of Challenge races this year, only the Elites.
Mike Fields
Hmmm.

Any idea where the Elites broadcast is?
MikeCarruth
Redbull.tv on Sunday for the 1/8s forward.

No word on any coverage of Sat.

Hope you're doing well, Mike

Best,

M
g-mo
Last year was the only year that the challenge races have ever been webcast. Hoping we get to do it next year....
Mike Fields
Thank you guys very much.
JMLVMI
QUOTE (g-mo @ May 24 2016, 04:39 PM) *
Last year was the only year that the challenge races have ever been webcast. Hoping we get to do it next year....

The broadcast last year was great...but it was in the Netherlands and they are a bit crazy for bike racing over there.

FaithBMX
There is a live feed on FB.
g-mo
QUOTE (JMLVMI @ May 24 2016, 07:48 PM) *
The broadcast last year was great...but it was in the Netherlands and they are a bit crazy for bike racing over there.

*Belgium
FaithBMX
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ May 25 2016, 02:56 PM) *
There is a live feed on FB.

Search for BMX Talent Team West on Facebook for live stream.
Not sure how reliable or how long they will run it.
JMLVMI
QUOTE (g-mo @ May 25 2016, 12:38 PM) *
*Belgium

Eh, details wink.gif Thanks for the correction. Either way, can't believe it's not table stakes for such a big race.
g-mo
Last year was the only time there was ever a webcast of the challenge classes.
Mike Fields
are motos posted anywhere?
bjk4130
Can someone tell me when the Elites are racing?
Saturday or Sunday?
BMX56
QUOTE (Mike Fields @ May 26 2016, 04:02 PM) *
are motos posted anywhere?

http://www.uci.ch/bmx/ucievents/2016-bmx-u...results-176338/
BMX56
QUOTE (bjk4130 @ May 26 2016, 11:40 PM) *
Can someone tell me when the Elites are racing?
Saturday or Sunday?

http://www.uci.ch/bmx/ucievents/2016-bmx-u...hips/292549416/
g-mo

Amer 2 days of racing
JMLVMI
Looks like 17 plates for the USA today in the Cruiser Challenge classes smile.gif
2016 UCI Worlds 24 Challenge Results - US Highlighted - All
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.