Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latvian National championships (SX) -Treimanis vs Strombergs
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
bmxracelv
Video of final race at Latvian Olympic training centre in Rubene.

1. Treimanis
2. Strombergs
3. Veide

There is article about comperition in Latvian but You can use translator.
mxmug
Great job Treimanis!

Maris bonked and launched in the last straight.

I wonder if bmx is growing rapidly in Lativia?
bmxracelv
QUOTE (mxmug @ Jul 6 2014, 09:54 PM) *
Great job Treimanis!

Maris bonked and launched in the last straight.

I wonder if bmx is growing rapidly in Latvia?

It's not growing as rapid as it could at any country. Mostly I blame inside people without experience and maybe even interest to purposely work on growth of popularity of sport. Resources unequally are spent on competitiveness of best. This is the issue where Olympic movement is against it's ideals. Purpose of any Olympic or constructive sport must attract people to it. IMHO that could be additional criteria to decide if discipline worth to stay at Olympic program. Then officials could be more interested to work harder on recruiting, not only on organizing smooth preparation of best athletes which is important as well.

IMHO popularity of sport is affected also with growth of severe injuries in amateur and professional sport. We are already having guy who can't move anything from shoulders down, another who maybe will not walk normally anymore, etc. It was almost impossible 10 years ago - now BMX is sport where professionals at every start are risking to become disabled. How cool is that?
We can return to topic popularity after returning formats and rules of track where breaking neck wouldn't be so easy to do. My first suggestion is to design tracks where maximum speed is limited to 30mph... we must understand that this is not velodrome racing if someone cares about speed - this is racing on uneven surface which is much dangerous and unpredictable, that's why speed must be limited to give chance to riders to survive in unpredictable situations.

I am preaching same thing almost every time: SX can stay - but as format for purely professional, private league where could not be limits of artistic imagination of designer, where spectators would expect to see spectacular crashes, open fractures, blood, etc... but out of Olympic cycle and constructive, balanced sport. Besides - organisation of mixed and even SX events became more expensive also because of tracks. - Ramp construction, soil amount, at least 2 straights with sections, area which can't be included into arenas...etc.

Although I am big fan of BMX in general - I will not take my son to this sport... and this is just because how it turned in last 6...8 years.
bmxracelv
Full video review on competition
donmoore
QUOTE (bmxracelv @ Jul 7 2014, 02:26 AM) *
It's not growing as rapid as it could at any country. Mostly I blame inside people without experience and maybe even interest to purposely work on growth of popularity of sport. Resources unequally are spent on competitiveness of best. This is the issue where Olympic movement is against it's ideals. Purpose of any Olympic or constructive sport must attract people to it. IMHO that could be additional criteria to decide if discipline worth to stay at Olympic program. Then officials could be more interested to work harder on recruiting, not only on organizing smooth preparation of best athletes which is important as well.

IMHO popularity of sport is affected also with growth of severe injuries in amateur and professional sport. We are already having guy who can't move anything from shoulders down, another who maybe will not walk normally anymore, etc. It was almost impossible 10 years ago - now BMX is sport where professionals at every start are risking to become disabled. How cool is that?
We can return to topic popularity after returning formats and rules of track where breaking neck wouldn't be so easy to do. My first suggestion is to design tracks where maximum speed is limited to 30mph... we must understand that this is not velodrome racing if someone cares about speed - this is racing on uneven surface which is much dangerous and unpredictable, that's why speed must be limited to give chance to riders to survive in unpredictable situations.

I am preaching same thing almost every time: SX can stay - but as format for purely professional, private league where could not be limits of artistic imagination of designer, where spectators would expect to see spectacular crashes, open fractures, blood, etc... but out of Olympic cycle and constructive, balanced sport. Besides - organisation of mixed and even SX events became more expensive also because of tracks. - Ramp construction, soil amount, at least 2 straights with sections, area which can't be included into arenas...etc.

Although I am big fan of BMX in general - I will not take my son to this sport... and this is just because how it turned in last 6...8 years.

Good summary of the situation in Lativia! The danger of the participants is sadly universal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.