Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There was some rampin going on in Querque
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Stileman
I saw a video from the 10 X class two guys ramped the second straight double to pass by the leader. I saw a few other hero vids from people ramping that double.

There was a lot of diverse Facebook chatter about the track. I figured somebody would have started a thread about it. I wasn't there, but from what i heard from my more credible sources was that the design was ok the track was just a little to bumpy.

I heard a former world champ say that he was stoked on the track and the fact that this was the USAC qualifier to go to the world's was perfect. Paraphrasing he basically said that if you can't handle this track don't even bother going to the worlds.

What was the honest opinions you guys had about it?
DNBLC
Looked killer from an armchair quarterback's perspective. Kinda like some of the Xmas race tracks in their heyday.
g-mo
'Twas unfinished. A few top pros hated it but many top ams loved it.
FaithBMX
ha; I thought the topic was "There was some rappin' going on in Querque."
I was picturing Nic Long spitting some classic LL Cool J or something.
Sprite - Caffeine Free
"Querque"

I was like, where the heck is that. Thought it might be someplace exotic, but realized it was just albuquerque. I have return the end of June to visit family, is it worth bringing the bike along for a ride?

-Dave

jalvey
The track layout and design were great, but the execution left a bit to be desired. Very bumpy, and most of the jumps were uneven, making them very different depending on what line was taken. A few adjustments and it will be great. I've built a ton of tracks in my day, and it's a lot tougher than people think, so props overall to the Duke City staff.

One thing was for sure, if you didn't know how to jump, you weren't going to win.

The one big change I would make would be to put the lights down lower. A lot of riders who watch the lights (including myself) felt that having them above the first straight made you have to look up too high and mess up your body position for your start. It would be nice to see a standardized light and speaker number and position for every track.

If you liked the track, and like big jumps, be sure to come check out our National at Rad Canyon BMX next weekend.
Stileman
Good points jalvey
GaryCraig
I liked the track, it was a challenge for sure. Could have used some more grooming but it is what it is. Only change I would have made is on the double on 2nd straight. I know there should be a reward for jumping, but way too many riders were eating it because you could not pump or manual it at speed. And the only change would have been to add a bit to the inside of so it had a bit better flow. Or, I could just grow some stones and jump the dang thing..... only part of the track that gave me issues. O_o

The rest of the facility is to die for!
MikeCarruth
I'd be curious to know how people liked the "hip" table on the second straight. It looked way-cool, but I don't think anyone took the high side of it all weekend, as you could see the worn-in right-hand line. I wonder if the high-side would have been used if it were on the inside since riders wanted to get to the inside in setting up for turn two?

I think it's cool that they are exploring new stuff. It is so funny, because if there is ever an example of "never pleasing anyone" it is in track building. If it's too smooth, people call it a "freeway," if too rough that's a problem, if too technical, that's a problem, and if too tame, that's a problem. There truly is no "goldilocks" track, is there?

IMHO, the track made for a great national track-- fitting for the USAC worlds qualifier. After the circus leaves town, however, I always worry about such a technical track also being a local track where day-one beginners are supposed to come and be introduced to the sport.

M
desertrat
One of the best facilities around. Scenery is beautiful, love seeing hot air balloons up in the mornings. Hated to miss it this year.
jalvey
QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ May 23 2014, 10:55 AM) *
I'd be curious to know how people liked the "hip" table on the second straight. It looked way-cool, but I don't think anyone took the high side of it all weekend, as you could see the worn-in right-hand line. I wonder if the high-side would have been used if it were on the inside since riders wanted to get to the inside in setting up for turn two?

It was fun, but in the wrong spot. It wanted to naturally hip everyone to the right side of the track, so you would usually approach the VERY difficult second double off balance, which would explain the carnage that kept happening there.

I'm glad to see people trying some new things, tracks seem to be getting too predictable.
brycebetts
QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ May 23 2014, 09:55 AM) *

I think it's cool that they are exploring new stuff. It is so funny, because if there is ever an example of "never pleasing anyone" it is in track building. If it's too smooth, people call it a "freeway," if too rough that's a problem, if too technical, that's a problem, and if too tame, that's a problem. There truly is no "goldilocks" track, is there?

IMHO, the track made for a great national track-- fitting for the USAC worlds qualifier. After the circus leaves town, however, I always worry about such a technical track also being a local track where day-one beginners are supposed to come and be introduced to the sport.

M

I think that the "hip table" was fun when ridden alone, but in a race, it simply didn't work. The problem was the location in my book. It was out of the first turn, which is a key spot of the race to decide if the rest of the race will be single file or not. This jump simply set you up to race single file. I can remember on friday in my open main, getting high lowed, and pushed off the track because my line completely disappeared out of the turn (the first turn was actually more than 180 degrees, allowing the "hip table" to "hip" to the right). Come main event time in 20 inch, i found myself in 4th in the first turn, in gate 8. Knowing what happened in my open main, I cut down, to the open space, hoping to pass for third. My planned seemed to work great, as the riders on the out side of the turn were bunching up, as expected. This was until I hit the GIANT lip on the TINY table top, on the unused side of the table top. I quickly found riders blowing by me, and by the end of the second turn i was in 7th place. After that day, I decided that the "Hip Table" doesn't race well. But like I said, the hip table was a lot of fun to ride alone, or out front.

"Hip table" doesn't care though. Hip table was hip before table's were hip.

Click to view attachment
Stileman
I kind of expected to hear a little more haterade going on. I was actually worried it might turn into that. So far I think it has been valid well based points.

I think that this kind of underscores a mentality with the sanction. Sometimes they are afriad to try new stuff, cause it doens't always work. And if it works really bad it turns customers away. I think sometimes they go a little to "safe" with the design. Not meaning safe as in non dangerous, meaning safe as in it won't turn out bad. If you build a lot of track homes and you get really good at it and have it down, it is sometimes scary to build more a custom house. THings might come up that you didn't think about and it will casue an unhappy customer.

Querque tried some new things. Some of it worked an some of it didn't quite work well. The key is to figure ho to rework the things that need changing and keep the things that worked. I would like to see more tracks take some chances and try new things. But also have the ability to make it work if it doens't come out right. Sometimes you don't really know if it is going to work until you have a big race. But I think BMX is better when the tracks try new things
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.