Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berlin SX Track Spy Photos
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
reedhamilton
Is this a glimpse into the future of UCI BMX SX track design?

Track preparations continue for Germany's first World Cup on June 13,14.

Here's a sneak peek.

First jump on the upper right, backside on the upper left, and a tunnel below?

Start ramp, first jump, tunnel below, amateur start ramp in background.

Better view of the amateur start, final (90 degree) turn on left after exiting the tunnel?

First straight looks relatively intact, then it appears that the women will use the R.Evolution flow line, men will use the jump line.
Women's entrance to tunnel at lower left, men's entrance further to the right of that.

Men get to use the pavestone 180 plus the pavestone cross-over jump. Berlin Wall is partially fallen (on women's side) in the
background. Men's entrance to tunnel on lower right, women's entrance on lower left.

Berlin inaugurates World Cup qualifying points for Rio - should have a solid rider turnout. And it looks like it might also inaugurate
a new benchmark for what SX track design can be. If the racing action and spectator turnout is anything like the Red Bull event,
this should be a great World Cup!

FaithBMX
I will reserve judgment until after I see eight guys race on it.

I just wonder if at some point they will build an entire track out of scaffolding and storage containers.

At what point is it no longer BMX?
Is it BMX as long as it is raced on BMX bikes no matter what the course is constructed out of?
bmxundergrounddotcom
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ May 8 2014, 02:09 PM) *

I just wonder if at some point they will build an entire track out of scaffolding and storage containers.

Is it BMX as long as it is raced on BMX bikes no matter what the course is constructed out of?

I think we're there.
Stileman
that will be cool is the women are racing. That might be one of the few times that women get to compete at the same event as the boys
g-mo
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ May 8 2014, 11:09 AM) *

If its like the Redbull race it will be single file and pumptastic...
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ May 8 2014, 01:09 PM) *

Isn't that why BMX Freestyle is called BMX?

QUOTE (g-mo @ May 8 2014, 04:40 PM) *

And people would never dare talk bad about it...
99BMXican
Should be great to see the ladies on this course, and their back tire leaving the ground.
reedhamilton

Red Bull R.Evolution . . . . . it's Pumptastic!
g-mo
1 sensationalized step up mister Hamilton?

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ May 9 2014, 07:29 AM) *
If all 8 guys/girls can't make it through the track 99% of the time, where is the race?

DJBBMX
Pumptastic. Just like every ABA race. Cuz you got to get those growing clipped in moto counts around the track as quickly as possible without any thing to hold you up, like crashes, while the locals continue to suffer.
Stileman
QUOTE (g-mo @ May 8 2014, 03:40 PM) *

Most all BMX racing is single file and Pumptasitc. Pretty much every video that I watched from Ventura was single file with little jumpin and a lot of tap manuals and pumping. A lot of single file follow the leader. Maybe I didn't see all the races that had battling, but the ones that I did see here or there they could have put the finish line out of the first turn and the results would have barely changed

One of the few times that In the last few years that I saw a lot of good battling(Non Single File) action was at the Grands last year in the A pro, vet pro and girl pro racing. BUt BMX has become more and more single file. Every once in a while a Bubba comes along and does thing that don't seem possible.
bmxundergrounddotcom
QUOTE (reedhamilton @ May 9 2014, 06:37 PM) *

Red Bull R.Evolution . . . . . it's Pumptastic!

Well played.
reedhamilton
QUOTE (g-mo @ May 9 2014, 05:55 PM) *
1 sensationalized step up mister Hamilton?

How rude of me. Should have included this in my first post. My apologies.

g-mo
Thanks for reminding me about that HUGE roller right there. Talked with Nobles a few weeks ago and he said they chopped that bad boy down significantly. Hopefully everyone makes it to turn 1 and can actually make a race of it.
FaithBMX
Reed,
I appreciate the effort, but both photos you posted, while they look great as still photos, highlight the worst two spots on the track.
That roller was horrible with guys launching off of it unable to stay on the ground and the big step killed flow.

I guess we need to decide which better promotes the sport; awesome still photos or video that shows fast flowing race action.

Since this thread is specifically about the Berlin track (a SX track) I will not drag USABMX national tracks into the conversation.
The R
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ May 8 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Back in the day (early 80s), at South Shore BMX in Michigan City, IN, our track was indoors with a concrete floor and plywood jumps. You couldn't tell us we weren't racing BMX.

Here's what it was like: http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....0Shore&st=0.
reedhamilton
3D Drawing of Berlin SX track

First ever tunnel for a World Cup track! Already a lot of facebook debate about the track design - what do you think?
ANT DOG 3:16
Dude I do not know what to say???? But it will be interesting to watch
GhettoBMXstar
The second turn before going into the tunnel looks really busy, It don't make any sense.
reedhamilton
QUOTE (GhettoBMXstar @ Jun 2 2014, 10:40 AM) *
The second turn before going into the tunnel looks really busy, It don't make any sense.

This might help - Maik Baier GoPro Lap @ Berlin SX track

Or this - Daniel Franks takes a lap @ Berlin

You might notice that the track looks a little neglected -the EliteTrax crew will be bringing things up to World Cup standards over the next 10 days.
Stileman
QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Jun 2 2014, 10:54 AM) *
This might help - Maik Baier GoPro Lap @ Berlin SX track

You might notice that the track looks a little neglected -the EliteTrax crew will be bringing things up to World Cup standards over the next 10 days.

That happens a lot. I rode Louisville 3 weeks before a grands and it was way different come grands time. Heck Louisville's pro is over grown right now with some vids I have just seen. As long as it looks good at race time.
reedhamilton
Best track preview so far - Luis Brethauer @ Berlin SX

Some great shots from a RC Heli cam give a good perspective on the modified R.evolution venue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.