VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
excalibur
Linda Dorsey.
Stileman
Redman or Reilly
edwards
I always liked Lenny B.
lumpy
So many to list... But Linda and Redbone are top 2 on my list. Honored to have shared the tower with both of them.

Brian
DutchDevl
Ill be honest here.. I dislike the american way of announcing, so none of the announcers on your side of the pond are my favorites.

I think the Belgian Michel Lamalle is the best announcer. He speaks the important European languages well enough for his job and most of all he knows how to gehad crowd going. Many riders love the European fans and how wild they get for bmx over here. I honestly believe that Michel and his way of announcing, picked up by most European announcers, is a key part in this.

And no amount of American announcing, no matter how much I liked Redmans voice and professionality, can live up to someone who can make a crowd go wild during the break between semis and finals, keeps gtdhem all pumped up and ready to rock for the mains.
edwards
QUOTE (DutchDevl @ Apr 30 2014, 02:28 AM) *
Ill be honest here.. I dislike the american way of announcing, so none of the announcers on your side of the pond are my favorites.

I think the Belgian Michel Lamalle is the best announcer. He speaks the important European languages well enough for his job and most of all he knows how to gehad crowd going. Many riders love the European fans and how wild they get for bmx over here. I honestly believe that Michel and his way of announcing, picked up by most European announcers, is a key part in this.

And no amount of American announcing, no matter how much I liked Redmans voice and professionality, can live up to someone who can make a crowd go wild during the break between semis and finals, keeps gtdhem all pumped up and ready to rock for the mains.

Thanks for being honest and yes keeping the crowd entertained or hyped up during intermissions is tough to do. It is always easy to cover a packed and evened out 12X main of Robinson, Parker and Cole or any Elite main as the action does it for you. Throw in a foreign name and most of us here in the States get the "That guy" syndrome.
Finch
Redbone......and he should really be in H.O.F. Just my 2 cents.
oldpattersonrider
Big Jeff!
MikeCarruth
Charlie Litsky (RIP) was a great announcer as well. Tough to make a pick on "Best ever," but "Leapin" is definitely in the running.

Here are the components to a great announcer as far as I'm concerned:

- Knows the riders (pronunciations, home town, sponsors, etc)
- Has the "inside" knowledge of riders to "edutain" the crowd
- Understands his/her role as announcer (to keep the crowd informed and entertained)
- Doesn't get TOO inside with the inside jokes, so as to lose the crowd
- Helps make it a "show" and contributes to that.
- Has a way of making promo announcements (Vendor row, Racewear, etc) that makes the crowd want to act.

Lots of other intangibles too, but that's a good top six.

Cool thread!

M
99BMXican
Big Jeff (Upshaw & Sack)
reedhamilton
QUOTE (DutchDevl @ Apr 30 2014, 01:28 AM) *

Can you post a link to a sample of his announcing?
pawhit
My son is 7 so we've only been racing two years....but I gotta drop my man Lou Mota in on this thread.
The Northeast's finest!
ANT DOG 3:16
Lou Motta & Roger Plaskett in the N.E. Never got to hear Linda in person, but have heard her on tape, she is in a class by herself.

My bad I can't forget Al Roybal. He announced Southpark the first time I went.
ironagebmx
Linda, and roynuts
winonflats
roynuts
ngelliott
Redmond, Roybal, and new rising star Griindle. They bring it every lap with every class from striders to AAA pros and somehow stay fired up through last main of a long weekend.
mongo
redman, royball, and ray rohm from orange y years back
DutchDevl
QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Apr 30 2014, 06:45 PM) *
Can you post a link to a sample of his announcing?

Just go to bmx-videos.com and look at the videos of the latest euro rounds in France smile.gif
Giant
Glad to see Erick Grindle getting some love he has been working hard the last few years and it shows.
mxmug
I'm gonna go way back and throw the name Fuzzy Barron into the mix. Colorful, funny, rhythmic and clear would describe his delivery as he rocked the bmx mic's in NorCal.
bmxgirlmom
The one and only Linda Dorsey, Roger Plaskett, and Lou Mota. I've heard others, but a lot of them drown themselves out by eating the microphone while trying to talk.
iamthestig
I'm gonna add Rockford Rich to the mix as well, but hey I may be a little biased as the Rock is my home track. smile.gif
Stileman
QUOTE (iamthestig @ May 1 2014, 05:38 PM) *
I'm gonna add Rockford Rich to the mix as well, but hey I may be a little biased as the Rock is my home track. smile.gif

Over the Lambeau Leap into beeeeeermzilla, out of the graveyard turn over the tombstones and the Rockness Monster
HRPdesigns
I choose the following and each for different reasons.

Lenny Batycki - My all time favorite because he was the voice of BMX when I was growing up. He had a cadence that was very distinct and i used to imitate his style when I announced at locals. Personally, I have nominated him for the hall of fame at least three times, but he has not made the ballet yet. Regardless he deserves to be there.

Jim Reilly - not flashy, but let you know what was going on with a little humor thrown in and was very clear when he announced. He was the voice of the ABA since I started racing there in 2005.

Tim Huff - many have probably heard him but may not know it was him. Based out of the ATL area, Tim has called many NBL nationals and brought a wicked humor to his craft. Unfortunately since the merger he has been heard less and less.

Mike Redman - Mike has the best stories about the pros when he calls races, not so much about calling the race, but give insight that others don't.

up and comers, Pischke and Roybal plus several others that I have heard lately that I have not met yet. I have to admit, it has been a while since I heard a bad announcer at a USABMX event.

Honorable mention to Opie, Jimmy Monroe. Very distinctive voice and solid delivery, to many he was a love or hate announcer when I talked to others, I really liked the guy and his announcing was not half bad either, lol.
Kamikaze kid

Pretty stoked about being considered an "up & comer" by Stu...

My favorites have always been Jim & Bone.....When they're on the mic together they've got such a rad synergy between their styles....

Back in the NBL days (where I got my start) I really like this dude from up in Connecticut who did allot of Nationals..Think his name was Jeff.

One of my fav guys to work with besides Riely was Tim Huff....Like Roynutz...Tim has his own style and finds a way to blend in humor, stories & race going down on the track in less than 30 seconds...
VADerek
Tim Huff is a great announcer and I also heard that he will be announcing in AL at the Circle City BMX track in June for the Gold cup/State Qualifier weekend.

I also like Otis from Capital City BMX in Raleigh. He did a great job at the Dixieland Natl. announcing the Strider races. Nobody says "Tougher than Alligator Meat" better than Otis. smile.gif
Stileman
QUOTE (mongo @ Apr 30 2014, 11:57 PM) *
redman, royball, and ray rohm from orange y years back

I always like Ray Rohm on the mic. Roynuts is always interesting. Plaskett and Frank Fremino were always entertaining.
mxer746
LINDA.
Fat Man
I have a list of announcers that I have enjoyed announcing with, Linda being one, Roger, Al Roybal, Shane Voisine, Racy Lasley, Trey, Tim Huff, Dan Rumple, Randy Romadka. All have or had great mic skills. I had the opportunity to announce with all of these guys and gals and felt humbled when I was in the tower with them.
Proger
QUOTE (Fat Man @ May 9 2014, 10:48 PM) *
I have a list of announcers that I have enjoyed announcing with, Linda being one, Roger, Al Roybal, Shane Voisine, Racy Lasley, Trey, Tim Huff, Dan Rumple, Randy Romadka. All have or had great mic skills. I had the opportunity to announce with all of these guys and gals and felt humbled when I was in the tower with them.

Colin is no joke either behind a mike. Overall I'd say the moto calls of Lenny and the interviews of Redbone. Loved Dorsey for her love of the kids and her passion for the sport. Announcing with her and the friendship we built, kept me in the announcer tower long after I should have left. She was just flat out cool.
Stileman
QUOTE (Proger @ May 9 2014, 06:08 PM) *
Colin is no joke either behind a mike.

I get a little tounge tied here and there. I was always a fan of the sport and like seeing all the details that go on. I am always looking for the action. If my thoughts would come out fluently, I would have pursued annoucning more. I had a lot of sttutering and speking problems when I was little. I had to see a speech therapist once a week from 1st through 3rd grade to learn how to say world and not wurd

I remember one time the mic fell out of my hand at Evansville and I had to announce about 15 motos with no system. Just yelled it out. I had people tell me later that they could hear me pretty well in the parking lot.
Todd Lyons
I may be a bit biased here. But going back to the mid-80's, I've gotta give a shout-out to my dad, Bob Lyons for being one of the best announcers of all time. cool.gif
Pete Vitale
QUOTE (Todd Lyons @ May 11 2014, 03:26 AM) *
I may be a bit biased here. But going back to the mid-80's, I've gotta give a shout-out to my dad, Bob Lyons for being one of the best announcers of all time. cool.gif

Todd, I thought your dad was great. He was one of the few that pronounced my last name correctly! My favorite BITD was Tom McMillan.

Todd Lyons
Ahh yeah, Tom McMillan! Him & my dad used to announce together a bunch in the 80's. They were great together. And Linda Dorsey as well! and can't forget Lenny Batycki!
Str8talkr

There was a new announcer at the GA nats that is the future.

This kat new everything and beyond about every rider and was quite animated.

He was pure entertainment.

Don't know his name. Seen him helping in staging a few times.

The future.

Str8
[/size][/size]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.