Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collegiate championships
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Moose001
Pros can race ?

Is that because it is a club sport.?

If it becomes a NCAA sport, will pros not be allowed? If it looks like eventually BMX might become a varsity sport, would younger riders need to stay out of pro-ams to keep their eligibility?

I would think the NCAA clearing house would frown on riders who have earned money at their sport.

Dave
Crystal311
QUOTE (Moose001 @ Apr 5 2014, 10:17 AM) *
Pros can race ?

Is that because it is a club sport.?

If it becomes a NCAA sport, will pros not be allowed? If it looks like eventually BMX might become a varsity sport, would younger riders need to stay out of pro-ams to keep their eligibility?

I would think the NCAA clearing house would frown on riders who have earned money at their sport.

Dave

Currently, BMX racing is 1 of 5 collegiate cycling disciplines. I attend Marian University, which is NAIA, however cycling is not affiliated with NCAA or NAIA. If it was, your assumption would be correct and being a 'professional' or receiving any money would forfeit your amateur eligibility. Our cycling program is a varsity sport (scholarships offered) and Div 1 and USA Cycling is the organization affiliated, so professionals can compete. Predictions are not guaranteed, but I do not foresee a switch to the NCAA or NAIA in the near future. Many collegiate cyclists are professionals in their respective disciplines.

Hope this helps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.