Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road pedals...
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
nblracer305
For those of you using road pedals on a bmx bike what shoes and pedals are you using and why?
adam228
Shimano and Shimano!

Pedals because I had a set lying around and thought I'd give them ago. Rode them once and never looked back! I've had no reason to look at other options as they've given me no problems at all. I run the red cleats which have less float, but thats just a personal preference.

Shoes because that's what the shop had at the level I wanted, and they were a really good fit. My opinion on shoes is fit and comfort outweigh the brand any day.
jordan40
ive been wantin to try road pedals but what do they cot and how to they compare to clipless pedals?
27rocks
I've been running this set up for about a year now and love it! I have had 0 problems with them. That's any issue as far as clipping out or part failures. I run the SHIMANO 105 pedals which were $115 and some Giro shoes with carbon soles $200. I mainly bought my shoes because they were really comfy and on clearance sale. Cleats cost around $20 like any other cleat out there (i run the yellow), but they do wear out a lot quicker then your regular clipless cleat. Main reason is because you are actually using the cleat as a walking surface where as a clipless cleat it is mainly protected by the shoe sole. Aside from shoe prices everything else is pretty much the same price as any decent clipless set up. However the road shoes are extremely light, comfortable and have very stiff soles which are a really nice feature. The only downside is the price on them which could go up to about $500, but there are some bottom of the line stuff out there that you can even find rather easily for under $100.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the road bike set up mainly because i never had any issues with it. I can also say that there is no way i will ever go back to clipless after running these.
coyoteyz13
I tried them with ultegra pedals and sidi gineus shoes. I loved them, but the walking was awful. Our track has a lot of gravel around it and it looked like my soles were going to get torn up.
AG
Would something like this help between motos

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/pedals/pedalsro...CFRMInAodMkoALA
bystickel
I recently had my podiatrist fuse all the bones in my feet, while implanting a titanium SPD cleat. It's far lighter than wearing shoes, and I believe it will be more cost-effective, in the long-term. It's working great and I have no regrets.
coyoteyz13
QUOTE (AG @ Apr 15 2013, 08:09 PM) *
Would something like this help between motos

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/pedals/pedalsro...CFRMInAodMkoALA

I tried them. It's the bottom of the shoe that gets torn up. I found it to be a hassle.
donmoore
QUOTE (bystickel @ Apr 15 2013, 08:01 PM) *
I recently had my podiatrist fuse all the bones in my feet, while implanting a titanium SPD cleat. It's far lighter than wearing shoes, and I believe it will be more cost-effective, in the long-term. It's working great and I have no regrets.

So what's your solution to not stubbing toes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.