Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adult BMX frame suggestions
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
traveller79
Hello--I have restored all of the sacred bike frames and parts of my youth. Now I want to feel the feel of the ramp/dirt again. I have seen the "Big Ripper", but it is recommended for riders 5'5 or so--I am 5'11, any suggestions or favorites? I have a Gary Fisher "Big Sur" (ZR 9000) but it just doesn't have that feel to it like the BMX I used to know. Have you found anything you like?
supergoose
You want to ride ramps on a big ripper? I don't think that's a good idea.

If you really want to ride ramps and trails again and don't feel comfortable on a modern 20", then a 22" holmes might be the best option.
traveller79
QUOTE (supergoose @ Feb 9 2013, 09:35 AM) *
You want to ride ramps on a big ripper? I don't think that's a good idea.

If you really want to ride ramps and trails again and don't feel comfortable on a modern 20", then a 22" holmes might be the best option.

Thank you supergoose (I rebuilt a '78 Mongoose Chatsworth, classic)
PEP
26 GT Speed series is butter smooth, turnkey build, not the cheapest, but I like the race goodies.
mxer746
QUOTE (traveller79 @ Feb 8 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Hello--I have restored all of the sacred bike frames and parts of my youth. Now I want to feel the feel of the ramp/dirt again. I have seen the "Big Ripper", but it is recommended for riders 5'5 or so--I am 5'11, any suggestions or favorites? I have a Gary Fisher "Big Sur" (ZR 9000) but it just doesn't have that feel to it like the BMX I used to know. Have you found anything you like?

Big Ripper is a fun bike, Im 6' and its plenty big. More of a beach cruiser than a jumper. Way too much bike for me to be comfy jumpin with. If you want a big bike thats great at ramps and dirt both consider the Standard 26" DJ frames. Several good examples in the 26" thread. Its my next build for sure.
Cook Bros Seeker
I ride a Haro Steel Reserve dirt jumper. Has a suspension fork for the shoulders and wrists of an old man like myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.