Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most malicious move USABMX officials have seen in years
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
tip
Check out Sooner videos 9 expert on USABMX website. Lead rider DQ'ed for moving over at the end of 1st straight. Bill Morris said it was the most malicious move they've seen in years! Lead rider said he couldnt even see the riders behind him. Its unfortunate that USABMX refuses to correct their mistakes.
Elvis
QUOTE (tip @ Jan 28 2013, 08:40 PM) *
9 expert

Internets: It's for LOL
bnd
I like how the author talks in the 2nd and 3rd person. How about the comments section where poster, Debra Gibson (Debbie? LoL) says quote,"Bill Morris is a pu$$y".

b.
g-mo
Tip?

As in related to the dq'd rider?
tip
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jan 28 2013, 09:49 PM) *
Tip?

As in related to the dq'd rider?

Busted.......Yep
Justin Miller
Even if I completely disagreed with a call an official made, the last thing I would do is allow my nine year old post comments about it on the Internet. I would not do it myself.

What ever happened to teaching your kids that things don't always go your way, and do your best the next time? Nothing wrong with a little humility, responsible, respect,or dignity.

Instead we get name calling, unfair, deserve, and entitlement.
OldSchoolOlson
I can't get the video up, but why is it illegal to move over on the first straight? I mean did he reach out and punch the kid or was he just trying to maintain his lead? I'm sure I'll catch hell for this but sometimes it seems like USABMX officiating is extremely inconsistent. Like I said, I haven't seen the video, but it seems like double talk sometimes. On one hand it's a "full contact sport" "elbows out, rubbin is racin" attitude. And then other times people get DQ'd for barely any reason at all. Personally I prefer to see speed and skill over muscle and brawn anyday, but let's be consistent eh?
OldSchoolOlson
QUOTE (Elvis @ Jan 28 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Internets: It's for LOL

Elitist attitudes are for lol too...just sayin'
that70sguy
Tbis should be interesting reading in a couple of days he he
MFbmxdad
Wow, 2 things come to mind immediately.

1. That is not a DQ in any way shape or form. Something needs to be done. The rules need to be clearly defined.

2. The kid's parents or his team need to take it up with USA BMX staff, not a 9 year old, not matter how good he is.

Lastly, I have been thinking about this since Reno. Parents, kids, adults spend a lot time, energy, and money to do this sport. At nationals, they need to have the best of the best people working the track to make DQ calls, help with crashes, etc. The guy working the second turn in Reno seemed a little in over his head. The starter (Ron) has been doing it for years, but is he really in the best position to make DQ calls or is their someone by the first jump that is watching every gate start.

Just some food for thought.
tip
QUOTE (Justin Miller @ Jan 28 2013, 09:55 PM) *
Even if I completely disagreed with a call an official made, the last thing I would do is allow my nine year old post comments about it on the Internet. I would not do it myself.

What ever happened to teaching your kids that things don't always go your way, and do your best the next time? Nothing wrong with a little humility, responsible, respect,or dignity.

Instead we get name calling, unfair, deserve, and entitlement.

I actually agree with you. The post was intended to be sarcastic "from th kid". Its purpose was to give exposure to the flaws in the officiating and some of the rediculous explanations given by the officials, in hopes that improvements can and will be made. As we know USAbmx refuses to listen to reason or view film once a call has been made. The only thing that all riders should be entitled to is a fair shake, possibly video review on major result altering calls? Apoligies if the post came across as distasteful.
Herb Syntec
It's 12 and 12 people are viewing this. This is the stuff the Internet was made for!
MeredithJL
QUOTE (tip @ Jan 28 2013, 11:50 PM) *
I actually agree with you. The post was intended to be sarcastic "from th kid". Its purpose was to give exposure to the flaws in the officiating and some of the rediculous explanations given by the officials, in hopes that improvements can and will be made. As we know USAbmx refuses to listen to reason or view film once a call has been made. The only thing that all riders should be entitled to is a fair shake, possibly video review on major result altering calls? Apoligies if the post came across as distasteful.

We are sorry to inform you that you have been DQ'd from this thread for violating the "No Apologies, EVER" rule here on vintagebmx.com. Furthermore, any future outbursts of mature thinking will not be tolerated, and will be grounds for permanent suspension of your posting privileges. Thank you, and have a nice day.
KAM
QUOTE (tip @ Jan 28 2013, 06:50 PM) *
Apoligies if the post came across as distasteful.

I am sure your thread is fueled by frustration. I get that.

But, when someone comes onto vintage and flames someone or some organization readers will immediately look to the screen name and no of posts. If you just signed up or have a single digit no. of posts a feeding frenzy will most likely start. Especially, when the tread is to flame or defame someone.

Just sayin.
Str8talkr
QUOTE (tip @ Jan 28 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Check out Sooner videos 9 expert on USABMX website. Lead rider DQ'ed for moving over at the end of 1st straight. Bill Morris said it was the most malicious move they've seen in years! Lead rider said he couldnt even see the riders behind him. Its unfortunate that USABMX refuses to correct their mistakes.

I have watched the video now 50 times. What did the boy do???? Did he get DQ'd cuz 2 tires buzzed together?? Your kidding me right?

That was amazing racing.

He should be very proud, and so should Mom & Dad.

What a crock of $h*t!

Str8
DutchDevl
This is a kind of move that is very hard to call from the side angle the video and most spectators have. Having watched it I need to make a few comments in defense of the officiating staff:

First, unlike us, they do have two people in good angles to make this call. One or more st the start and one in the turn.
Second, the rider started on 7, was on te inside line before the second jump, and the move caused 4 riders to crash. So I think nobody can claim there was no interference in te strong move to the inside. If it is deliberate is then what the officials need to determine.
Third, considering if it was deliberate it really is a judgement call in this case. The rider knew the risk they took forcing themselves going inside so strong. He was ahead of the first few riders when he did. But when you then hit the lane 2 or 3 rider in the front wheel a case can be made you knew the risk of this when going so far inside before the second jump and it can therefore 'be avoided', which is de rule definition of deliberate.

So honestly, no matter how many calls of support to the rider or calls for bad officiating are made on any forum you choose to try and point out your kid as wrongly accused. The rules simply say otherwise.
nickdawghaters
When you holeshot the first straight it's your obligation to cut the front wheel of the riders to your inside, especially in rodeo arenas where you only have 200 feet at best to build some separation that is gonna protect you from getting dive bombed in turn 1. I wouldnt give that kid anything but a high five on a smart move. Everybody knows if you leave someone room they will exploit it. Good job kid smart racing and your gonna have several of these calls in the future as our sport gets softer and softer LOL
thebondtrader55
Well........

I've seen more malicious moves than that getting from the parking lot to the signup window.
kamau
I don't think there was malicious intent...USABMX must have made a mistake. But the real action is in the 36-40X Day 1 video. Crashes on the first and last straight. Entertaining to say the least....

http://usabmx.com/site/postings/906?section_id=50
WillMurray
I think its a given that from ages 7-12, the lead rider is going from gate 8 to 1 and 1 to 7 by the second obstacle. I see it at every single race. I see at the local practice too.

I hate it.

Edit: I just watched the vid. It appears the rider got a little sketch and caught himself. No malicious intent at all. Bad call.
shortdog
I viewed the race over and over, but didn't see anything wrong. Did I miss something? huh.gif

On a similar note, does anyone remember the 16X main at the '91 aba grands?
joeyc87
QUOTE (shortdog @ Jan 29 2013, 08:03 AM) *
I viewed the race over and over, but didn't see anything wrong. Did I miss something? huh.gif

On a similar note, does anyone remember the 16X main at the '91 aba grands?

I saw it and the crash was bad, the kid is 9 and did what he has been told all along, get over. He clearly needs more experience to know when the right time to get over is. I did agree with the dq because it put a lot of riders in danger.

My daughter had two run ins with an experienced rider who nearly crashed them out in one round even though they were both clearly going to transfer, then in another round the rider crashed them both out when they were both not in transfer positions and she broke her arm. Some parents need to take the education beyond pedal pedal pedal, and start talking about track awareness.
Weaver
this is literally robbery. ridiculous
Code4130
Little man didn't do anything wrong USABMX messed up that call up big time. Come on really, I come from the school of thought if you are in front you pick your line and everybody else has to deal with it, 30ft rule and last straight rules are a different story.
jimmyprich
How does one determine a move is malicious if the rider is in the lead and moves over ? I thought you get the hole shot and after the 30' line you are free to move over. Where is it stated in the rule book that if your in the lead you cannot move over ? The kid didnt look back,i just dont get it .Bmx is not like track and field where the lanes a staggered,you have to move over or you will get hung out to dry in the turn.

I had the hole shot and a great first straight in my 2nd moto in 41 to 45 cruiser.I didnt move over and went into the turn in about lane 4.The guy in lane 2 made a b line into me and made contact ,I ended up 4th.Thats racing lesson learned,I should of moved over and blocked his line.

Im just curious if people think it was a good call,what should he have done differently,just held his line and got blasted in the turn ? I just started racing again last year after a 26 year lay off , so some things are different now-so please enlighten me if im in correct.

Jason F.
Can a 9 year old be malicious, yes.
Was the move malicious, frome my view on the monitor, no.
Can an official make a bad call with good intentions, yes.
Should they go back and change the results.....I aint touching that with a 10 foot pole.

In Reno there were several really hard move overs, a few got called, a few that shouldnt have gotten called also did, even with video evidence they were not overturned.

Personaly I did the exact same thing in Reno, tires buzzing, spokes pinging off my axles, scared me to death but I did come out in the lead! I am not sure if anyone went down, was my move malicious....not sure as I intended to block everyone and shut them down, not to wreck them though, I doubt the kid intended to actually wreck anyone either, just shut them down. I had the lead and couldnt see anyone on my side and well thats the line the was the fastest, same as the kids move over, had it been my son who went down I would have been pissed but that is racing, had he t-boned someone in the corner, different storey and debate.

cornfed
QUOTE (Elvis @ Jan 28 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Internets

In some bazaaro world-type fashion, this article seems strangely relevant:

Monkey Cannon-Contra Affair
Army125r
I've watched the video a few times now. If you watch the lead rider as he comes down the backside of the first obstacle (14 sec mark) he makes a hard left crank on the bars, into the path and tire of the rider who fell. This could be the only reason that he was DQ'd. There was nothing else wrong with his lap.
d0ubledown
that looked well past the 30' line to me...move's legit. maybe the rule should extend to the whole first straight? laugh.gif at the end of the call, someone wins and someone else gets the shaft...
tommydone
can anyone post a link to the video ?
Herb Syntec
Being unable to move over screws over anyone not on the inside gate. Who's trying to get blasted. We've all had it happen...
ad1das
If it's after the 30' rule how can he be dq'd at all? He didn't blast into anyone.
Certainly not even close to the most malicious move even locally.
It's 2013 and membership prices go up, when will we get video reviews of the 30' and last straight?
LACK
All these rules are stupid and that's all I have to say about that. lack
jt89366
Not a good call.
Bags1
I think the 30 foot rule is rediculous, but at least I know it is a rule and so does everyone else. However, this was well past 30 feet. The rider never looks over. He does move over, but for heaven's sake, EVERY lap has riders move over. You better be moving over if you start from the outside and you get the holeshot. THAT IS RACING.....

It is a poor call. You can talk camera angles all you want, but if it is past 30 feet and the rider never looks over, and he is clearly a bike length ahead (hence the rear of his bike tire barely makes contact with the front of the other riders front tire), I simply cannot see how this call is made.

But, that is part of having the human judgement element as part of the race. Perhaps replays should be considered in the future. Other sports do it.
lumpy
Video review... Now many cameras do we want on track for this? As far as parent supplied video, I have rarely seen one that would change a call.. Most are shot from a distance and have multiple jumps and such in the way...

The leader had the right of way.. As long as the contact doesn't look to be intentional or malicious to the official trackside, it will be let go.. And going into turn one, everyone is trying to get position.. How many times have we seen 8 go in and one come out? It's racing.. Things happen..

Brian
K Robison
I think in all sports consistency is the key. How many videos can we pull up from the USABMX website where something very simialr happens and there's no call. I saw one racer (not going to name names) do almost exactly the same thing including crashing multiple riders at a time at least 3 times on Grands weekend. No call ever considered.

Whether we like a rule or not, I think everyone can accept it if it is enforced consistently.

Ken
extol2
over it , next thread please ..........................................................................
MFbmxdad
Exactly, the rules need to be applied consistently. As i said on page 1, parents and kids spend a lot of time, money, and energy on this sport. The rules need to be clearly defined and the track officials have to be the best of the best.

The kids move was fine. It wasn't like they were elbow to elbow and he gave a hard shove to the kid next to him. He had a bike length lead and he was taking the best line, good for him.
joeyc87
QUOTE (Army125r @ Jan 29 2013, 11:18 AM) *
I've watched the video a few times now. If you watch the lead rider as he comes down the backside of the first obstacle (14 sec mark) he makes a hard left crank on the bars, into the path and tire of the rider who fell. This could be the only reason that he was DQ'd. There was nothing else wrong with his lap.

Good eye, anyone who rides a bike knows what that flick of the bars is used for.
extol2
QUOTE (joeyc87 @ Jan 29 2013, 12:17 PM) *
Good eye, anyone who rides a bike knows what that flick of the bars is used for.

caused by turrets ? redbull ? flapjack syrup?
Elvis
Well, this would never happen if it wasn't for clip shoes.
bmxgirlmom
The experts videos are down. Says plugin can't be found, yet all of the other videos come right up. Seems a bit fishy to me.
CA10
bmxundergrounddotcom
Hey at least he can take advantage of the new membership features! Maybe cruiser will work out better.

MeredithJL
QUOTE (bmxgirlmom @ Jan 29 2013, 03:11 PM) *
The experts videos are down. Says plugin can't be found, yet all of the other videos come right up. Seems a bit fishy to me.

Yay, a conspiracy theory!
Well, back to my concrete bunker....
bmxgirlmom
LOL! I just wanted to see what all the hulabaloo was about. Seemed funny that people are bitchin and now nobody else can see that video or any of the other expert classes.

QUOTE (CA10 @ Jan 29 2013, 03:29 PM) *

Now, that was funny!
g-mo
We changed over to the coverflow playlist instead of the one that scrolled. No conspiracy. If you clear your cache the videos are still there.
PoopsMcgillin
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jan 29 2013, 02:00 PM) *
We changed over to the coverflow playlist instead of the one that scrolled. No conspiracy. If you clear your cache the videos are still there.

The new playlist works better on my phone. Thanks biggrin.gif
azbmxmom
I don't usually chime in on this stuff but I was at the race and on the first strait side. The call was good in my opinion. It's not illegal to move over but his actions caused 4 riders to crash, one hit so hard his front axle broke. The kid is doing exactly what he has been trained to do. It usually works, this time he crossed the line. Do I agree with his riding style? Doesn't matter. The sanction didn't and that does.
For those who are watching the USABMX video, it does the move absolutely no justice whatsoever... It was gnarly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.