Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PK Ripper 2013 Looptail
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
tdunster
I'm looking to upgrade the cranks, sprocket, and chain on my 2013 Pk Ripper Looptail.

The reason I want to upgrade is that the SE racing cranks that came with it flex more than I'm used to and the sprocket / chain isn't quite what I'm used to either.

On my newschool ride I have Primo Hollowbites, Shadow Half link, Tree Lite sprocket, BSD titanium spindle.

I'd like a setup of similar quality on the 2013 Ripper.

The Redline flight cranks with dual pinch bolts look awesome. Are they stiff or do they flex a lot ?

Any suggestions for a chain, sprocket, and cranks would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Alan

CharleyGnarlyP290
I really don't have any suggestions, but are you going to be selling the crankset you are wanting to replace? I have a frame/fork on the way and need a set... preferably SE.
PM me if you are going to sell it, if you don't mind.
pwh4130
You can always go with Profile. Stiffer than the Primo cranks you run. 19mm spindle so it's compatible with the BB in the bike. Classic look. Otherwise, I have the SE aftermarket cranks and they are really awesome. Worth looking into.
tdunster
QUOTE (pwh4130 @ Nov 5 2012, 11:36 PM) *
You can always go with Profile. Stiffer than the Primo cranks you run. 19mm spindle so it's compatible with the BB in the bike. Classic look. Otherwise, I have the SE aftermarket cranks and they are really awesome. Worth looking into.

Cheers.

Which model of profile cranks are you suggesting ?

I like the retro / box cranks but don't know where I can buy them.
pwh4130
QUOTE (tdunster @ Nov 6 2012, 01:37 AM) *
Cheers.

Which model of profile cranks are you suggesting ?

I like the retro / box cranks but don't know where I can buy them.

If colored tuffs doesn't have them, contact Profile. They may be sold out.

tdunster
QUOTE (pwh4130 @ Nov 13 2012, 10:21 AM) *
If colored tuffs doesn't have them, contact Profile. They may be sold out.

The 40th Anniversary Box cranks have been out of stock for a few years. The 50th Anniversary retro cranks probably won't arrive until 2018.

Any other ideas with respect to cranks, sprocket, spindle, and chain ?

I'd love to hook up a set of Hollowbites on the PK Ripper but Tree don't make a bolt drive 44t sprocket.
tfd2827
Those new Flight cranks are a great choice & you wont be disappointed. The price is right too
tdunster
QUOTE (tfd2827 @ Nov 25 2012, 02:50 PM) *
Those new Flight cranks are a great choice & you wont be disappointed. The price is right too

Cheers.

What chain and sprocket should I run with them ?
tfd2827
QUOTE (tdunster @ Nov 24 2012, 10:31 PM) *
Cheers.

What chain and sprocket should I run with them ?

you should have several options, what you already have may work fine, i guess id put it on the person you order cranks from to guide you in the right direction. If it was me, Redline Flight 44t & a KMC or SRAM chain
tdunster
I've decided on:
Profile 180mm Cranks in Chrome
Profile Ti 48 spline spindle
Tree 44t spline drive sprocket in polished aluminium

I would have gone for the Redline flights but not being able to use a Tree sprocket with them and the lack of spindle options pretty much sealed their fate.

Chain wise I am undecided - although I certainly won't be using the KMC 410 currently on the bike. A KMC 510H or some variation of it will probably do the trick. Odyssey apparently also make a chain similar to a KMC 510 so I will check that out as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.