Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Team USA Suits Up
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
MikeCarruth

Just pulled this image off of Coach James Herrera's Facebook page. It is the first look at the team suited up in their London 2012 kit.

Important to note that US Olympic BMX kit was made in Nike's hometown of Beaverton, Oregon USA.

So, what's your take? Do you think the real-deal is better than the artist's rendering?

Check it out on BMXNEWS.COM

Enjoy!

M

Bill Curtin
I am for old school, but these are beyond terrible. I could live with the pants but the jerseys are awful.

I'd take the jerseys that the Roadies are wearing over these. Haro has talent but he missed the ocean let alone the boat on these.
edwards
Can't wait til the athletes them selves can comment.
mofampops
They're really pretty sad. That's the best we could come up with?
Payton
Looks like they are wearing pajamas. laugh.gif

Won't matter though if they bring home the gold!!
justafather
Those jerseys are so gay I expect a PR from Chick-fil a renouncing them.
FOS
nike should stick to ruining football uniforms like the University of Organ's
MeredithJL
QUOTE (justafather @ Jul 29 2012, 01:00 AM) *

They're fugly. They could not possibly have been designed by a gay person.
STAY RAD
Still not a fan.

At a minimum... I should be able to read USA from more than 4 feet away. The entire front graphic is just mush.
I do like those blue plaid shirts the dudes on the ends are wearing. Roll with those.
thebondtrader55
It's not so much that the jersey design is bad as much as it is that it just disappears - there isn't any "umpphhh" to it.

Wish Bob's design could have been "punched up" in the style of a Troy Lee helmet for example.

Thanks
rustydial
QUOTE (justafather @ Jul 29 2012, 12:00 AM) *

LOL, on this one for real. Thanks for the morning laugh here!

QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Jul 29 2012, 12:41 AM) *
They're fugly. They could not possibly have been designed by a gay person.

Even funnier LOL... nice!
reedhamilton
Should be easy to spot the USA riders on the TV coverage.

They look fine to me. Most important is the fit and function. Any aero or weight advantage to these uniforms? Maybe they went low-key on the graphics to save weight?

I dig the eagle talons on the 'bars - where can I get one of those ball caps?
sxebmx
Woah, woah woah, they used a photo with 2 of the riders eyes closed as their "official" release photo? Wow.
g-mo
QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Jul 29 2012, 07:26 AM) *
Any aero or weight advantage to these uniforms? Maybe they went low-key on the graphics to save weight?

You're on to something. Stay tuned for more info on the Speed Dots... wink.gif
CowhieDesigns
Is this years theme an attempt at some kind of 70's retro look? The pants look like a combo of shorts over sweats we wore in junior high school. Are they just following the rules for uniform graphics and this is all they had to work with? The road kits look much better than this.
coletrain
I always thought no matter what side the flag was on the sleeve (left or right)...the union always leads the way?
KaisersDad
I hated the drawing but, after seeing a real pic and reading about the technology I think they are great.
Bmx Prof
When I first looked at them on.. I thought the speed dots was a joke... Did they test speed dots on uniforms that were skin tight? These clearly aren't. How can a speed dot work when it is all scrunched up? Just curious.

Also... why is the Women's jersey different than the men's? Is that little V at the collar some special technology for women? Did the fabric scientists create something to help Alise boost the triple?

Also...did Nike create uniforms for any other country? Do only the US riders get speed bumps of are they reserved from only the countries that use their uniforms?
Army125r
I have to say, the Worlds jerseys looked much better. But I can live with the screaming eagle clenching the bars. Maybe if it was in 3D with a bolder color scheme? Or of the jersey screamed USA?

I've seen Haro's work for 30 years. This is nothing like it.

The pants? Designed by LV? Steve Madden? What a non-bmx look if I've ever seen one. These are an embarassment.

I'm just glad the BMX team performs nothing like their uniforms look.

Maybe anytime the USA team needs some design work they should contact an old school rider / graphic designer / artist that I knew back in the 80's. He is very talented. He's still around the Syracuse, NY area. I'm sure he could make this USA team look like a BMX race team

Michael Wheeler
Director of Design at Eric Mower and Associates

Industry
Marketing and Advertising

Bikemonkeys
Will Nick Long buck the uniform and rock something different like the USA Lady swimmer?
klakke
I would love to work as a designer.. they can get anyway with pretty much anything.. As long as you call yourself 'designer', nobody seems to question your abilities.

Im sure most guys in here could design something better than that
coletrain
QUOTE (coletrain @ Jul 29 2012, 09:25 PM) *
I always thought no matter what side the flag was on the sleeve (left or right)...the union always leads the way?

Because AR 670-1 says so:

1) When approved for wear, the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is sewn 1⁄2 inch below the right shoulder seam of
the temperate, hot-weather, enhanced hot-weather, and desert BDU; the BDU field jacket; and the cold-weather
uniform (see fig 28–135). If the SSI–FWTS is worn on the right shoulder of the utility uniform, the full-color U.S. flag
cloth replica is placed 1⁄8 inch below the right shoulder sleeve insignia (see fig 28–136). The SSI–FWTS is not
authorized for wear on organizational uniforms, unless indicated above.

The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When
worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the
wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the reverse side flag.

The right sleeve is considered the sleeve of honor. The patch of a unit one served with in a combat zone is worn above the Flag. Overseas Service Stripes are also worn on the right sleeve. It has nothing to do with Flag code as far as I know. Years ago they were worn on the left in peacetime and the right in a combat zone. Desert Viking is 100% correct about it's display on a vehicle and it does get placed so that no other flag is on the Flags right or observers left. On the uniform there is no other flag. Lapel pins are worn on the left lapel to be closer to the heart. That is defined in US Code Title 4.

Did further research...Nike dropped the ball on this one. Prior 20 years service and I can't believe they screwed up on the flag.
MeredithJL
QUOTE (klakke @ Jul 30 2012, 11:27 AM) *
I would love to work as a designer.. they can get anyway with pretty much anything.. As long as you call yourself 'designer', nobody seems to question your abilities.

Im sure most guys in here could design something better than that

I can say that in my industry (live entertainment/theme park scenery) designs *always* go through revisions, and for a number of different reasons. None of us knows what the original renderings may have looked like from an aesthetic point of view, but I wouldn't make the generalization that anyone can be a designer. (Not a talented one, anyways.). I'd bet that as the design went up through the chain of approval it became the hapless victim of corporate types with no appreciation for or background in design.

g-mo
QUOTE (coletrain @ Jul 30 2012, 11:54 AM) *
Because AR 670-1 says so:

1) When approved for wear, the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is sewn 1⁄2 inch below the right shoulder seam of
the temperate, hot-weather, enhanced hot-weather, and desert BDU; the BDU field jacket; and the cold-weather
uniform (see fig 28–135). If the SSI–FWTS is worn on the right shoulder of the utility uniform, the full-color U.S. flag
cloth replica is placed 1⁄8 inch below the right shoulder sleeve insignia (see fig 28–136). The SSI–FWTS is not
authorized for wear on organizational uniforms, unless indicated above.

The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When
worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the
wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the reverse side flag.

The right sleeve is considered the sleeve of honor. The patch of a unit one served with in a combat zone is worn above the Flag. Overseas Service Stripes are also worn on the right sleeve. It has nothing to do with Flag code as far as I know. Years ago they were worn on the left in peacetime and the right in a combat zone. Desert Viking is 100% correct about it's display on a vehicle and it does get placed so that no other flag is on the Flags right or observers left. On the uniform there is no other flag. Lapel pins are worn on the left lapel to be closer to the heart. That is defined in US Code Title 4.

Did further research...Nike dropped the ball on this one. Prior 20 years service and I can't believe they screwed up on the flag.

What does military code have to do with a civilian uniform?
coletrain
[quote name='g-mo' date='Jul 30 2012, 12:00 PM' post='1180783']
What does military code have to do with a civilian uniform?
[/quote

Everything...Actually its just proper flag etiquette. It just shows respect to people who have lost their lives for our country.
g-mo
So there's no official code for civilian wear, correct?

WillMurray
Troy Lee should be able to design the next version. The worlds jerseys were 10 times better than these.
coletrain
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jul 30 2012, 12:20 PM) *
So there's no official code for civilian wear, correct?

Military or civilian...it should be just displayed properly. Just pointing it out..hopefully they get it right next time. Just google it, and look at all MLB players when they display the flag on their jersey.
FaithBMX
QUOTE (Bmx Prof @ Jul 30 2012, 02:23 PM) *
Also...did Nike create uniforms for any other country? Do only the US riders get speed bumps of are they reserved from only the countries that use their uniforms?

I heard Nike offered the uniforms to Latvia, too; but, as we now know, they went with Fox.
g-mo
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQs/faqs.aspx

"Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear."
OLDSMARBMX
And here is what Coletrain was speaking of. I dont see it as a matter of " it's ok beacuse we are not military" but believe it should be worn the same as they do to show them ( ALL MILITARY) our respect for what they do.

John

Q7: How should the American Flag patch be worn by Army personnel?HQDA policy has been changed to authorize all soldiers throughout the force permanent wear of the full-color U.S. Flag cloth replica (approximately 2"x3") on utility uniforms. The patch is worn on BDUs, Desert BDUs, the Maternity BDU, the Cold Weather Coat (Field Jacket), Aircrew Battle Dress Uniform, and the Combat Vehicle Crewman Uniform and Jacket (Cold Weather). DA policy states that the patch will be sewn 1/2 inch below the right shoulder seam of the utility uniform. When the shoulder sleeve insignia-former wartime service (SSI-FWTS) is worn on the right shoulder of the utility uniform, the U.S. Flag insignia is placed 1/8 inch below the SSI-FWTS. The cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward or to the flag's own right. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observer's right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.
Bmx Prof
G-Mo... Can you find any information of the effectiveness of "speed dots" on uniforms that are not skin tight?
JAF2
QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Jul 28 2012, 09:47 PM) *

Just pulled this image off of Coach James Herrera's Facebook page. It is the first look at the team suited up in their London 2012 kit.

Important to note that US Olympic BMX kit was made in Nike's hometown of Beaverton, Oregon USA.

So, what's your take? Do you think the real-deal is better than the artist's rendering?

Check it out on BMXNEWS.COM

Enjoy!

M

Circa 1979 BMX Club.
Jason Chang
Both FLY and FOX did USA kits for the Motocross Des Nations race that were awesome. Even without the logos it would have looked good. I wonder why we could not have done it like those?
TimL
Everybody wants to be an art director.

I for one really like these uniforms. I like the simple look. I like the minimalist feel. I like that fact that they don't look like circus clown uniforms which is the direction I'm afraid BMX uniforms have gone in recent years. They are drop dead serious. They mean business.

Now let's cheer on our team while they go out and kick A and take names.
Jesse4130
I personally love the jerseys, I really like the eagle with the bars. I was stoked when I saw Connors helmet!

Connor Fields Helmet, stolen from Instagram @CF11
mxer746
QUOTE (coletrain @ Jul 29 2012, 10:25 PM) *

Noticed this at first glance. Sure would like to see this fixed before the event. Wonder if anyone here has a way to send info to anyone connected with the USA effort.? Equipment manager?
mxer746
QUOTE (coletrain @ Jul 30 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Military or civilian...it should be just displayed properly. Just pointing it out..hopefully they get it right next time. Just google it, and look at all MLB players when they display the flag on their jersey.

I guess prev post didn't take, anyhow, wonder if the equipment manager is aware of this?
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (Jesse4130 @ Jul 31 2012, 07:33 AM) *
I personally love the jerseys, I really like the eagle with the bars. I was stoked when I saw Connors helmet!

That is how the Pants and Jersey should have looked. I want one of those helmets.
FaithBMX
I like the sly "Monster" lettering for Connor's name.
Army125r
QUOTE (Jesse4130 @ Jul 31 2012, 08:33 AM) *

The pants and jerseys should have had the same detail as this helmet. This screams USA to me.

Awesome job on his helmet!
Payton
Wow..I didn't see the flag was backwards at first. They have it waving in a "retreat" position. The stars should be facing forward like you are "charging" forward. Not backwards like you are retreating. Not cool.

Hope it gets changed before the events next week. That's kind of embarrassing.
Jesse4130
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Jul 31 2012, 10:04 AM) *
I like the sly "Monster" lettering for Connor's name.

Haha Yeah I thought that was pretty clever.
Bmx Prof
That helmet looks sick! Alise's looked good as well. TLD and FLY clearly get what Nike does not. It is almost as if they are actively involved in our sport...
HRPdesigns
From the http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQs/faqs.aspx website, US Flag Etiquette.
Q6: How should the American Flag patch be worn?
The U.S. Code states "no part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. (well there is the first mistake, LOL) However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."
The U.S. Code does not address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observer's right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.
Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. As many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag, you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.

the more I look at the team photo above, the more I am disappointed in the overall look of the uniforms. I like the logo, but the rest is just too simple and outdated. Honestly, our athletes deserve better from the designers. They may be the most advanced materials in the world, and I would hope that they are, but graphically is that really the bast they could do, I am actually not sure they could have done worse. Even the trails uniforms looked batter and they were solid blue pants and solid white tops with logos on them.

The blue thigh white shin, white body, blue sleeves is just too plain and odd. They look like 1983 Haro pants with the logos taken off, and the one thing that actually made the Haro pants cool 20 years ago were the logos. If they had added some chevrons or some sort of pattern to any of it, it would have at least shown some effort. ARGH!! this is modern BMX and not a history lesson, homage or not, BMX is not the same as the era these uniforms were designed to mimic and, in my opinion, should reflect BMX today. If we keep living in the past we will never move forward.

The helmets are so above and beyond the uniforms in creativity, at least they get to wear something that looks good.

Ok, so I had a ruff night and need more sleep, rant is over.

I love and support all of our athletes and know that they will go out there and win in anything they have to wear, I do hope that they know all of this negative press about the uniforms has nothing to do with them. They will always have our support.
Tim Earp
They look a little too tight, any provision for safety equiptment (pads)?
FaithBMX

I'm okay with the lack of graphic elements, but I guess I wish that the white and blue had been reversed on the pants.
As is it is chopped up; would have looked better if the white in the jersey flowed into white in the pants (like the crude rendering above).
Also, I like the lower part of pants to be darker so it doesn't show skid marks and chain grease.
HRPdesigns
Be careful Carl, the Nike police will come after you for applying a swoosh without permission. LOL.
retroBMX
QUOTE (TimL @ Jul 31 2012, 06:59 AM) *
Everybody wants to be an art director.

I for one really like these uniforms. I like the simple look. I like the minimalist feel. I like that fact that they don't look like circus clown uniforms which is the direction I'm afraid BMX uniforms have gone in recent years.

Second that, both about liking the simple look here, and not liking the direction BMX unis have gone in the last 5 years.

Why should we look like everybody else?
Thumperpilot
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Aug 1 2012, 01:35 AM) *

I'm okay with the lack of graphic elements, but I guess I wish that the white and blue had been reversed on the pants.
As is it is chopped up; would have looked better if the white in the jersey flowed into white in the pants (like the crude rendering above).
Also, I like the lower part of pants to be darker so it doesn't show skid marks and chain grease.

You still use chain grease Carl?? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.