Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yardsale find, can't identify
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
84PL24
Click to view attachmentFound a chromoly frame from the early 80's at a yard sale last year. Can't find anything on what make/model the bike might be. It had diamondback stickers on when I bought, but obviously not a diamondback bike.

Parts that "may" be orig.
SR stem
Araya Rims/SR hubs
Sr pedals, Sugino crank
DiaComp Mx900 Brakes
Grips of ? with old donuts on them (look orig)
TMC Chain/Chrome/Blued links.
Rivets on the head tube that held the orig tag for the maker

Not orig parts
Stickers
Seatpost/Clamp/Seat

Serial #'s on the rear dropouts
R side (G0383) L side (3589137)
Popeye
looks like a mid 80's Schwinn, from the predator days, to me. But you saying that it has rivets on the headtube kinda doesn't sound right for a Schwinn.
cheez
The frame/fork look identicle to one I have called a Diskus. many of the same parts except for the rrims/hubs and chro-mo construction
mr coasterbrake
the "GO0383" should make it manufactured by Giant in 1983. what it was labeled as/sold as i don't know. they built frames for a lot of companies.
84PL24
QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jul 24 2012, 10:53 PM) *
the "GO0383" should make it manufactured by Giant in 1983. what it was labeled as/sold as i don't know. they built frames for a lot of companies.

I had the info on Giant being the maker, but not the "reseller". The forks are oval and the bike is fairly light, so it will get used. My son wants to try some BMX this fall. Going to test it out at Westmoreland BMX track and see how he does.
Profiler
My first thought was Schwinn also. But conversely to Popeye, the mention of headtube rivets only strengthened my opinion. Schwinn "badges" are far more common than nearly any other brand. But I can't say that for sure about the Predator era. The span was too long and too many models/genres for me to speak knowledgeably about that spec.

All that said, I still think Schwinn.

Also, I seem to remember floval forks on some of those models.
Mr. Smith
Bottom line ....

Yard sale .... score !

I like it !

Rob
dayride
Could be a Concord.
hcrip
How much was it?
84PL24
QUOTE (hcrip @ Jul 26 2012, 04:32 PM) *
How much was it?

$25 smile.gif
cheez
QUOTE (Profiler @ Jul 25 2012, 04:15 PM) *
My first thought was Schwinn also. But conversely to Popeye, the mention of headtube rivets only strengthened my opinion. Schwinn "badges" are far more common than nearly any other brand. But I can't say that for sure about the Predator era. The span was too long and too many models/genres for me to speak knowledgeably about that spec.

All that said, I still think Schwinn.

Also, I seem to remember floval forks on some of those models.

Not with those head tube gussets
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.