Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE best female rider ever
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
woodybmx86
My friend Joey Gough from the UK. I haven't gotten to see her for years and years, but I keep up with her on her webpage and FB. She has been after me a couple years to come on their UK trip to South France they do every year, but after this edit, I'm scared she will completely show me up and send me back to the US in tears.
http://vimeo.com/16031151
She is this years 17+ women's world champion. I have never seen ANY girl ride like she does bar none. She is the BF of women's riding. Ladies, if you want to be the absolute best, watch every one of her vidoes, contact this lady, she will show you how.
Yep, I am almost in love. She flows a track and trails and whatever better than most of the men out there.
so stoked.
I might have put this up here before, i dont remember, a lot has happened in the last year.
and yes gmo, its got tracks in it.
Thumperpilot
Hands down??? You young guys don't even know!!

She is a great rider, but I'll throw Cheri Elliot's name in the hat for best Female rider ever any day of the week, month, or year!

Ohhh, and these shots were '83 and '84.

3-Time ABA National #1 title holder and a few World Championships to go with.

Not to mention her being the first female ever inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame, and her being induction into the US Bicycling Hall of Fame.

I won't even go into her ATB career and what she did on the National and International level.

Know your history Nate. hahahahah...
Grendizer
Yeah, Joey is pretty badass!
woodybmx86
Oh, I know about Cheri. absolutely. I never got to see her ride in person, but i have seen vid and pictures... but I dont know, I still think Joey's got it. I guess maybe if you compare BF to older riders... who knows... lol.
woodybmx86
Id be willing to say shes the best since Cheri... and we can put them even, since theirs no way to have em ride together, and the jumps and tracks Joey rides weren't available to ride for Cheri back then. or bikes, even, lol.
EStein
I thought Anna Appleby was pretty good too..
MeredithJL
Cheri was the best, hands down.
2elliot
Excellent video, brilliant rider good2.gif
BS
Yup, Joey Gough is seriously amazing.
Deanna
I'm going to go with Anne Caro. That girl has ruled just about every form of bike racing. Multi time World Champion in both BMX and Mountain bike. Not to mention the Olympic champion. With those titles you don't get any better.
thebondtrader55
Cheri was fantastic and great with the kids as well.

Cindy Davis of GT fame was no slouch either.

Thanks
Kevin Harlow
No disrespect to the many great Female racers, but I have to agree with Shannon & Meredith. Cheri Elliott was the greatest Female racer of all time, hands down!

Kevin
woodybmx86

We arent talking titles here... we are talking BMX RIDER. BF didnt have many titles...But he was and is considered one of the top in whatever he did... and can ride anything, race anything.
That's the criteria were talking, I think... or at least that's what I meant. I haven't seen any lady ride with the style, finesse, and overall ability that Joey does. Oh,,,, forgot to mention she is in the "old" category.... 30+. yeehaa
Deanna
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jul 9 2012, 06:57 PM) *
We arent talking titles here... we are talking BMX RIDER. BF didnt have many titles...But he was and is considered one of the top in whatever he did... and can ride anything, race anything.
That's the criteria were talking, I think... or at least that's what I meant. I haven't seen any lady ride with the style, finesse, and overall ability that Joey does. Oh,,,, forgot to mention she is in the "old" category.... 30+. yeehaa

I'm still going with Anne Caro. She's got all you mentioned above along with the titles....
Thumperpilot
QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Jul 9 2012, 07:52 PM) *
Cheri was the best, hands down.

I saw some pix of Meredith busting out some nice airs BITD as well. I never saw her race BITD that I know off, but she had some mad skills for sure from the pix I saw.
BS
That's rad that you guys have your faves (and I would even agree with you on many of them) but it almost seems like you guys aren't even watching the video. Joey Gough does things that pretty much no other woman I've ever seen can do on a bike. Maybe she's not as good a "racer" as Cheri, etc. was/is in her day but she is a major beast on the bike. I don't know for sure but I would bet that no other female can do what she is doing on a bike.
MeredithJL
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jul 9 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Oh, I see where this is going. If you've never seen it, it can't possibly be true or have ever happened, lol.

Joey Gough is amazingly talented. Cheri Elliot was amazing in her time as well. Why not leave it at that. They're both trailblazers for the women of the sport in their own way. Unless, of course, you just feel like fighting about this topic in addition to fighting over the size of the pro set at South Park, LOL.
woodybmx86
QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Jul 10 2012, 01:10 AM) *
Oh, I see where this is going. If you've never seen it, it can't possibly be true or have ever happened, lol.

Joey Gough is amazingly talented. Cheri Elliot was amazing in her time as well. Why not leave it at that. They're both trailblazers for the women of the sport in their own way. Unless, of course, you just feel like fighting about this topic in addition to fighting over the size of the pro set at South Park, LOL.

come on now... I didnt say that meredith, you know that. I have seen oodels of vids of Anne Caro, Seen Cindy, Michele Cairns, Brooke, just about any name you can bring up besides Cheri, her, I can only rely on vids and pics. Im on the same page as BS on this one.... comon, she rides like an elite man on the track, and completely at ease at the trails sith inverts, xups, tire grabs, motowhips both ways over steep, huge trails jumps.
is she the greatest racer? No... and that's not what I was saying at all. Im just saying in my opinion, she is the female version of Brian Foster... able to rip it at track, trails, park, whatever you throw at her, with style and flow like crazy. and if we then say BF is arguably the best overall bmx rider.... then it stands to reason Joey is on that level for the female side.

and I did say soemthing along the lines of what you said.... since they cant ride against each other and all,,.. lol,.
sanjosebmx
bahh if Alise Post put her energy into trail riding, she'd be able to do all that and more.. Fearless that one is.

MeredithJL
QUOTE (sanjosebmx @ Jul 9 2012, 06:35 PM) *
bahh if Alise Post put her energy into trail riding, she'd be able to do all that and more.. Fearless that one is.

I guess it depends on where your focus is. Woody thinks Joey is the best rider. And racer. Wait--I'm confused. She's awesome on trails, but she also did win 17 & Over Women at the Worlds.

I think if Alise Post, Brooke Craine, Amanda Geving or any other of the American SX racers were able to spend as much time at the trails they'd probably be pretty rad, too. These days, it's all about the business of 'racing' first and foremost.
nigelnyc
Joey seems great in the trails but then why isn't she racing Elite Women? Are you saying greatest rider or just dirt jumper? Is it similar to asking why any older top notch expert is racing expert and not racing Vet?
Deanna
Tammy Donahue is a great rider too. Guess it's what your looking for in a rider.
woodybmx86
QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Jul 10 2012, 02:15 AM) *
I guess it depends on where your focus is. Woody thinks Joey is the best rider. And racer. Wait--I'm confused. She's awesome on trails, but she also did win 17 & Over Women at the Worlds.

I think if Alise Post, Brooke Craine, Amanda Geving or any other of the American SX racers were able to spend as much time at the trails they'd probably be pretty rad, too. These days, it's all about the business of 'racing' first and foremost.

Yep, I think she is the best overall rider. post up any video of another female rider doing what she is. did you even see her lines in the rythym straight. Im thinking joey's a little old for SX Elite. Kinda like saying Brian foster should come back and race elite... lol.
Until I see some vids coming close to that one, its what I think.
CowhieDesigns
QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Jul 10 2012, 01:10 AM) *

I say we all agree it was a different time and the BMX environment produced what level the best would be. Would either rider progressed as far if they switched places in time? Hmmm. I would say Joey would have edged Cheri out a little just going by her smoothness. Joey is just a cut above the rest just like any highly skilled rider be it guy or gal. Racing? Not sure. Cheri had a lot of power. Not the smoothest, but a lot of power. I gated with plenty of times here in NorCal. She would routinely snap the guy riders back in her Skyway days.....and a pretty good downhiller too. lol and guess who Joey has listed as her fav old school rider?

One thing for sure, the Elliots were and still are great people.
MichBMX
Deanna you were no slouch bitd... I quit in 84 and you seem to win most of the NBL Nats I attended. Hell you and Robyn DJ were 2 of the best in the world back then. Different times, tracks, and racing styles. Hell many of the past top pros, ams, couldnt ride todays tracks and compete if you ask me.

Oh while I am at it and because she raced at Famous as much as anybody out there Im throwin out Melanie Cline..... She was just a little kid, but rarely lost, and from what I was told had a great racing history into the late 80''s 90's.
mxmug
These kind of conversations happen in most sports. Comparing an old timer to a modern day rider. To some degree both sides are usually offended. Having seen Cheri race in person at local and national races, she was often just as fast but could out jump many of the boys. If the track had a big old set of doubles, she jumped them. A lot of the boys didn't. Put her on the track with girls it usually wasn't even close. where she ranked in comparison to her competition in the races back then wasn't even close. We have a girl now in NorCal who is a great rider. I don't remember ever seeing her lose a race. But she doesn't comepletely out class her comp the way Cheri did. It's very uncommon to see such domination.
Largus
Anne Caroline.

3x BMX World Champ (10, 15, 16 yrs old)
3x Junior DH Champ (16, 17, 18 yrs old) (wins DH and BMX Worlds the same year at 16!!)
9x DH World Champ (19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28 yrs old)
2x Dual World Champ (23, 24 years old)
2x 4-Cross World Champ (25, 26 years old)
5x World Cup DH Champ (21, 22, 23, 24, 25 years old)

Then to come back to BMX in 2007 and be French and European BMX Champion.
Finish 2nd in the 2008 Worlds at 31 after taking 15 years off and finally winning the first ever gold medal.

That girl is the G.O.A.T. in dirt bicycle racing.

Sorry nobody can touch those stats, but Cheri Elliott is a close 2nd.
CowhieDesigns
Stats are all good, but this girl can flat out ride....and probably out ride most on Vintage. I mean watch the video. This isn't about stats, it's about pure riding. Joey just kills it.
woodybmx86
This thread would be different if it was titled greatest female racer. Then we could throw in all kinds of riders, Dom would be in there for that, and nobody would ever say her skills are on level with say Alise or Brooke etc.
Why is this hard to get through.... I'm talking RIDER. This brings into play women like Nina Buitrago, or Peta Shepherd, or other gilrs like Tammy.
They are street, Park, and MTB ladies.
And I am sorry, most of the girls brought up on this thread DON'T have the flow, the style, the smoothness, the basic ease on their bike that Joey does.
Saying all they have to do is spend time at the trails and they would be just is good.... yeah, maybe they should be, it would help their racing... but same could be said of Joey... all she has to do is spend more time in the gymn... and she would be at that level. I'm not so sure she isnt, but she is choosing at her age to race older women, not elite. And its much easier to gain speed and strength than skill. just saying.

again, rider. not racer.
MeredithJL
Whatever.
lumpy
QUOTE (EStein @ Jul 9 2012, 06:28 PM) *
I thought Anna Appleby was pretty good too..

LOL
BS
The problem here is just the definition of "rider". I understand completely what woody is saying and yet most people can't even see what it is he's talking about. There is pretty much only one person doing what Joey is doing. There are probably a dozen elite women that are really really good.

I saw Cheri ride and she was definitely a trailblazer. She redefined female BMX in her time. She actually is very similar to Joey given the generational differences. BMX and riding was different back then.

Brian Foster is also a great comparison. There is really only one person doing what he does and yet he doesn't have very many titles in any one discipline. It's the fact that he was really good in so many that makes him special. Plus the extra smoothness, flow and pop that are visible in his riding.

If people can't see it I guess people just can't see it. Oh well. More for me and woody (and Yutch, I think) to enjoy.

Cheri is a better realtor I bet. (and she was an awesome rider)

And Alise is one of my faves. It's just a different entity, that's all.

Rider
woodybmx86
I have gotten a few responses in PMs. none negative. this one sums it up.

"This is why I don't really post in the racing section anymore. BMX racing has fully gone into olympic mode. There's no more POW's, no more A Pros that ride trails daily. No more Brian Fosters, Robbie Mirandas or Neal Woods. There are only like 5 people that actually understand us anymore.

If we mention trails they start talking about the Dew Tour and if we say "rider" they start talking about spandex and power cleans. Oh well, I guess I'll ride the skatepark Saturday, the track on Sunday and the trails on Wednesday. With a smile on my face"

THis might be a little reactionary, as a lot of my buddies DO do it all, and a lot of A pros and such... but it seems like general public or at least Vintage readers are on that level. I have always wanted to see lady riders branch out and grow, especially as more of them start riding and there are more things to do... but it seems they pigeion hole themselves even more. The top street and park girls I know wouldnt dream of hitting the track, and the racer girls act like park and trails are akin to picking up a rat... lol.

That's why it is so refreshing to see someone like Joey, and not only does she ride it all, she rides, pardon the expression, like a guy. Show me one girl who can do a rhythym section like she did. I did see a vid of Arielle, I believe, at chula doing some stuff like it... but it still wasn't as smooth and stylish. And this is why MY opinion is that she is the best female bmx rider. I guess I can say right now.. .and in the last 20 years or so... seems from what I have heard, and now understand, Cheri could have, would have been up ther with her, given the same equipment, places to ride, etc.
Maybe more girls should start riding more things than just the track on wednesdays, and the gymn in between.
BS
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jul 10 2012, 08:59 AM) *
it is so refreshing to see someone like Joey

Refreshing is a great word. That's exactly how I felt the first time I saw footage of Joey. A girl that gets it and gets it done.

QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jul 10 2012, 08:59 AM) *
she rides, pardon the expression, like a guy.

She rides like a MAN and I mean that in the most positive way.
woodybmx86
THE best things about her... she is over 30, and she does it on flats. oh yeah. too bad she lives in the UK and has a man. sigh. LOL
Thumperpilot
Joey is RAD no doubt. One of the most amazing ladies I've seen ride a bike thanks to Nate.

I'm old.....She would make me put my bike back in the truck and go home. hahahaha...
HoppyUSA
Joey is amazing, by far the best all round rider, and I've not seen another girl ride a bike like her in my 30 yrs of bmx, but not racer, that has to be Anne Caro, Cheri Elliot, DD or maybe Shanaze (although she's Bubba Stewart on a bmx to me, all the talent, no head game!). Joey raced Elite back in England and I'm not sure she was ever committed to it in the same way as the other girls of that time. She won a lot but wouldn't clip in and suffered in europe against the likes of Anne Caro, Natarsha Williams and the other top girls.

I will say this, if we are having this conversation in five or ten years then we'll be adding Felicia Stancil for sure. She is USA's next big thing, I think she can shake up Woman's racing world wide like Conor has done in the mens over the next few yrs.
paddyb
joey gough is RAD simple as that . an absolute pleasure to know and ride with as is her partner scoob.
we have seen the ladys getting faster etc over the years but dont see many shall we say bmxicans from the female cats .
lookin forward to many more years of riding/beering/partying /chilling with the finest female bmxican ,fact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.