Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: olympic day
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
formula42
I thought this was a race day that is free for everyone. Now I am seeing some tracks saying you must
bring in a new rider to race for free. Which is it?
ChrisAustin
should be free no mater what
Bikemonkeys
I really didn't see anything from USABMX, but I would think that if a track was going to charge and said they were, it's what they're doing. I've seen tracks were one more weekend of no money coming in could be their last. And on the other hand, the tracks that need that one weeks of income, it's things like that that keep them the way they are.

It'd have been really nice if the Olympic Day thing had been brought out before the State Series and everything else were scheduled.
DaBeast
Everything I've seen is that it's free no matter what. The whole point though, is to bring someone to expose them to our great sport.
I checked with our T.O. who verified for me that current USABMX members will receive points for the free race as well. I figured that would be the case but I wanted to check it out, otherwise it would defeat the purpose if ya ask me wink.gif

We also added a promotional pic to our facebook pages and had folks tag as many people as we could. Me and the wife tagged about 40 people from our local area(especially the ones with kids). Had 2 kids confirmed before we even started biggrin.gif This is a HUGE opportunity to help grow your local scene. We're already having a great year and we aim to build on that sun_bespectacled.gif
Brandon002
at all of my local tracks it's free no matter what.

Don't you normally get a free race when you bring a new member anyway? I thought that's how it always was. I would check with your local track again just to make sure, but it should be free regardless.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:10 PM) *
at all of my local tracks it's free no matter what.

Don't you normally get a free race when you bring a new member anyway? I thought that's how it always was.

That depends on your track.
formula42
Called the ABA and they said it's up to the track. Looks like I won't get any free racing
HRPdesigns
4 tracks in Alabama, 3 of them are racing for free, 1 isn't.

So I can race for free on one direction or pay in the other. I am taking Saturday off to catch up on HRP stuff, then go race at my local tracks free race on Sunday.
watfly
Our track is not even free if you bring a new rider. Only the new rider gets to ride for free. Members get a discount of $7 off the $12 race fee if they bring a friend, $2 off otherwise.

Doesn't exactly seem to be in the spirit/purpose of the Olympic Day. I would think it would be more of an incentive to members to bring a friend if the member could ride for free as well. Seems short-sighted but I have no idea what our TO's financial condition is. End of the day its a small price to pay to have a track in your community
Onza
Our track is not charging riders for Olympic day. I'll take the money my familiy saves from Olympic day and add it to my Race for Life donation. biggrin.gif
dreamerproject
Yea I thought it was supposed to be free too.

All things considered though...no biggie.
Payton
Well the track is making a profit. Just not passing it down to the riders. The track doesn't have to pay any race fees to USABMX. They could make money off of concession or raffle. Entry fee isn't the only form of income for a track. I don't know the particulars of these tracks finances, it's just hard to believe they couldn't afford to run a free race when there is no cost to track. Not to mention the opportunity to bring more riders into the sport with it being completely free.

Just my 2 cents.
bmxdad286
Our race is tied in with the Alabama Olympic Games (scheduled long before USABMX and its Olympic Day) the normal cost for this race is $15.00 most went to the Alabama Sports Festival, track made a few dollars and of course we had to pay insurance and sanctioning fees.
We have negotiated with the AL. Sports Festival and we have to cover $9.00 per rider. Because this is another type of Olympic race tied in with the state Gold,Silver,Bronze medals are being rewarded (along with certificate from USABMX) If we had the funds available we would have bought the medals outright and still had a free race but alas we don't. All $9.00 goes to the ASF and the track makes not one cent except for that days concessions. I would like to think that everyone would still come out and support not only USABMX Olympic Day but our own State Olympics. USABMX did a great thing by waving the sanctioning/insurance which helped reduce the price of this our 3rd Annual Alabama Olympic Race by $6.00 dollars.
cultfreak
it is going to be raining in FL for the next several days so probably wont be much racing no matter free or not... damn we need an indoor track
Jason Chang
Sounds like you maybe better off doing Olympic day on your own. Unless the added promo from Alabama Sports Festival brings in a ton more riders. For Hawaii we are offering free and got on the morning TV news, local paper and posters and flyers everywhere. I hope for a monster of a day. How much more can BMX offer than a free day, all a track has to do is the promo side. Lets post some numbers after the event. Like what your average race is and what Oly day did, and how many new sign ups.

Changstar
bmxdad286
We are attending the Olympic Opening Ceremony televised to entire state, plan on having a few of our Strider racers leading us out on their striders. Followed by our riders wearing their state jerseys if the have them we have alot of new riders this year (Awesome). Then we race on Saturday and following the race we start prep work for the Redline Cup the following weekend. Now I just got to figure how I get my kids to Weaver for their Olympic Race Saturday evening then Down to Fountain City on Sunday.(gonna make my wife read this) While a few of us are raking,sweeping, and rolling Oak Mountain for our Single,triple,Double weekend.
FNSRACING
just my 2 cents , no profit unless you by a drink or something to eat( and that is only if if enough is sold to cover expensess) all money goes to alabama sports festival nothing to track, friday night anyone who is joins in at BJCC gets event shirt , olympic trading cards and free concert ( Lee Greenwood ) last year.
Saturday all riders will get a Alabama olympic medal USABMX certificate and podium presitation to get medal.
Glad for your support.
HRPdesigns
QUOTE (bmxdad286 @ Jun 21 2012, 07:42 PM) *
Our race is tied in with the Alabama Olympic Games (scheduled long before USABMX and its Olympic Day) the normal cost for this race is $15.00 most went to the Alabama Sports Festival, track made a few dollars and of course we had to pay insurance and sanctioning fees.
We have negotiated with the AL. Sports Festival and we have to cover $9.00 per rider. Because this is another type of Olympic race tied in with the state Gold,Silver,Bronze medals are being rewarded (along with certificate from USABMX) If we had the funds available we would have bought the medals outright and still had a free race but alas we don't. All $9.00 goes to the ASF and the track makes not one cent except for that days concessions. I would like to think that everyone would still come out and support not only USABMX Olympic Day but our own State Olympics. USABMX did a great thing by waving the sanctioning/insurance which helped reduce the price of this our 3rd Annual Alabama Olympic Race by $6.00 dollars.

Excellent, perfectly good explanation of why this track is charging for the Olympic Day race. The riders will actually be getting more, with the medals from the Alabama Olympics committee, than the other free races in the state, so no worries, I hope the race is successful.

I will see you guys next weekend for the RLC and Qualifier weekend, first time back to OM in a long time. Will be nice to ride again.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (bmxdad286 @ Jun 21 2012, 07:42 PM) *

That is AWESOME!!! It'd been cool if all the track could have done that around the country.
shortdog
I'm unsure if this was mentioned or not, but does anymore know if this is a points race since it's free?
HRPdesigns
QUOTE (shortdog @ Jun 23 2012, 05:30 PM) *
I'm unsure if this was mentioned or not, but does anymore know if this is a points race since it's free?

Yes, single points race.
Thumperpilot
FREE race at Chandler BMX last night. They ran on an off race night. They typically run Friday's and Sunday's for race days, so running it in Saturday didn't effect their normal income flow. They made a cool "Olympic" style podium and awarded the Top 3 riders in each class a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal with the Olympic music playing in the background. It was pretty cool and they went above the norm for the event requirements. They had 25 new families show up that had never been to a BMX track, so it was a good thing.

Also saw some old racers back that hadn't been to the track in years. One of my old race buddies heard about it, aired up his tires, dusted off his geared and made the trip out to check it out. He hadn't been on a race track in 12 years. He's now officially re-stoked on racing/riding and was talking up getting a new ride by the end of the night.

I've also heard reports of some pretty crazy numbers in some states.
INXS
QUOTE (Thumperpilot @ Jun 24 2012, 02:26 PM) *
FREE race at Chandler BMX last night. They ran on an off race night. They typically run Friday's and Sunday's for race days, so running it in Saturday didn't effect their normal income flow. They made a cool "Olympic" style podium and awarded the Top 3 riders in each class a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal with the Olympic music playing in the background. It was pretty cool and they went above the norm for the event requirements. They had 25 new families show up that had never been to a BMX track, so it was a good thing.

Also saw some old racers back that hadn't been to the track in years. One of my old race buddies heard about it, aired up his tires, dusted off his geared and made the trip out to check it out. He hadn't been on a race track in 12 years. He's now officially re-stoked on racing/riding and was talking up getting a new ride by the end of the night.

I've also heard reports of some pretty crazy numbers in some states.

Great stuff!
FaithBMX
My Olympic Day race at Long County BMX rained out today, but is rescheduled for next Sunday.
Payton
We had a pretty good turn out. We had 10 One-Day Applications with several of those saying they will be coming back. Also had several people show up to watch. Many had no idea we there until they saw one of the fliers for the Olympic Day Race. So, all-in-all I think it turned out well for us. Thanks USABMX for allowing us to run this free race without cost. And we did pretty good with concession sales.
bmxdad286
Had a great day at Oak mountain Bmx Olympic Race turn out could have been better but with all the other sports going on that day, we take what we get. Had free pizza and t-shirts for that days volunteers, had an Olympic Podium ceremony presented gold, silver, bronze metals along with the USABMX certificates. The friday night before we had the State Olympic Opening Ceremony and marched in the Parade of Athetes here are some pics everyone post theirs too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.