Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has USABMX been good for Canadian Bmx?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
MXNate
Not making a judgement, but genuinely interested to get opinions. I'm on the border with Michigan and do all my racing there but would like to start doing some Provincials and some Canadian Nationals as well. I know a couple of years ago the series was struggling, has USABMX made a difference and are things getting better?
ANT DOG 3:16
From the impression I got from one yes, I met a candian a few months ago and he seeemed happy. I know some others I can ask.
RedMist
I know rider numbers are up at the 2 local tracks we go to. That's a good thing.
I wish the ABA would change the rule about US Nationals not counting toward CNAG, when Canadian Nationals count toward USNAG.
Most Canadian Nationals are on the West coast, so it's a little tough for an East coast rider to compete for CNAG.
vjorrand
QUOTE (RedMist @ Jun 18 2012, 12:55 PM) *
I know rider numbers are up at the 2 local tracks we go to. That's a good thing.
I wish the ABA would change the rule about US Nationals not counting toward CNAG, when Canadian Nationals count toward USNAG.
Most Canadian Nationals are on the West coast, so it's a little tough for an East coast rider to compete for CNAG.

But note that only Canadian racers can use Canadian nationals as part of their US NAG points. This seems to just be there to allow Canadians to go to the US grands without attending 3 full US national weekends and be in competion for a US NAG plate. It does nothing for US racers.
The equivalent rule would be to let US racers use US scores and qualify for a Canadian NAG ranking (Not going to happen).
What you are asking for would be like allowing US riders to use Canadian scores to go to the US Grands (Definitely a bad idea).

While I see your point, the only realistic solution to your problem is more BMX Canada tracks in the East, resulting in a more balanced BMX Canada membership and thus more Canadian nationals scheduled in the East.

Vincent
delirious
QUOTE (vjorrand @ Jun 18 2012, 02:42 PM) *
But note that only Canadian racers can use Canadian nationals as part of their US NAG points. This seems to just be there to allow Canadians to go to the US grands without attending 3 full US national weekends and be in competion for a US NAG plate. It does nothing for US racers.
The equivalent rule would be to let US racers use US scores and qualify for a Canadian NAG ranking (Not going to happen).
What you are asking for would be like allowing US riders to use Canadian scores to go to the US Grands (Definitely a bad idea).

While I see your point, the only realistic solution to your problem is more BMX Canada tracks in the East, resulting in a more balanced BMX Canada membership and thus more Canadian nationals scheduled in the East.

Vincent

Is this new? In the past US riders have been able to use the Canadian races towards US NAG points. Was there a rule change?
extol2
Has USABMX been good for Canadian Bmx? yes
lager99
Definitely... cool.gif
cwstnsko
QUOTE (delirious @ Jun 18 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Is this new? In the past US riders have been able to use the Canadian races towards US NAG points. Was there a rule change?

It is my understanding that Canadian nationals can be counted towards US NAG for US riders. There was some discussion of a limitation on how many Canadian Nationals could be used based on the number of US Nationals raced, but it was unclear whether the limitation applied to US riders, Canadian riders, or both. I heard that number of Nationals in the West and the US riders getting national points is partially justified by the fact that there is only 1 US National held in the NW.

As far as I can tell with Canadian BMX in general, it still seems partially fragmented by Provincial Organizations which are independently aligned to the UCI. There are many Canadian BMX programs which have no relationship to USABMX at all.
vjorrand
QUOTE (cwstnsko @ Jun 18 2012, 04:04 PM) *
It is my understanding that Canadian nationals can be counted towards US NAG for US riders. There was some discussion of a limitation on how many Canadian Nationals could be used based on the number of US Nationals raced, but it was unclear whether the limitation applied to US riders, Canadian riders, or both. I heard that number of Nationals in the West and the US riders getting national points is partially justified by the fact that there is only 1 US National held in the NW.

As far as I can tell with Canadian BMX in general, it still seems partially fragmented by Provincial Organizations which are independently aligned to the UCI. There are many Canadian BMX programs which have no relationship to USABMX at all.

I guess I misread it then, but here is what the rule says:
QUOTE (2012 aba rulebook)
Canadian riders participating in Canadian national events will receive Canadian national points and will earn U.S. national points as well. Canadian riders participating in Canadian national series events will receive U.S. national points once they have participated in a U.S. national event(s). For each U.S. national, one national score earned at a Canadian national event will be applied toward a Canadian rider’s U.S. national standing. Ex: A Canadian rider who participates only in Canadian national series events will be awarded only Canadian National Points. A Canadian rider who participates in two Canadian national events and two U.S. national events, will be awarded points for all four events toward his U.S. national standing.

It keeps saying "Canadian riders" thus my understanding of it. But I am new to the ABA so I probably got it wrong.

Vincent
MXNate
Its good to hear all the positives, sounds like there doing something right. I agree we need to push to have a unified sanction coast to coast, I don't see why that could'nt be Usabmx??? Don't get me wrong, I like racing in the States but as a Canadian I think it would be rad to race for a Provincial or National championship.

Has anyone got details on the new track in London, Ont, I think its at London sports West??? Lots of rumour, they're even listed on the usabmx site but nothing more than that just yet.
d0ubledown
i thought all OT tracks were aba? no other cca tracks or have all converted to aba? im guessing that those tracks are nowhere near sarnia? in that case it makes sense to race across the border.

IMO cdn nationals should only count for cnag, and us nationals for nag. but that makes it difficult for those like yourself who have easier access to US nationals. it just bugs me when riders from ca, and az come all the way up here for 'easy' wins before they age up.

having only 1 national out east and the other 4 out here - including grands, makes it even that more difficult for OT riders to participate in the cdn national series. im sure bmx canada will eventually have grands out east one day...unfortunately its way too $$ to even think about getting a family of 5 with 2 kids racing out east for grands. id imagine its cheaper to go to tulsa and race than it is to go anywhere in ontario.

here in bc, i think we're the only province left that is still split between two sanctions. ab is all cca, and i think qc is as well.

but yes, over all i think bmx canada has definitely made it better. not that i really knew what it was like before, but they provide a much better product, though our 'home' track is a cca track. we dont have a true 'provincial' series like alberta does and its a shame really because there are some really great riders here that only race one sanction and refuse to race the other. one sanction debates is beating a dead horse, but i really think its what bc needs to do. not going to happen in the near future though. what did it take in order for ontario to go all aba last year?

the canadian national championships are out here this september though, so that should be exciting...we're looking forward to that.
AsthmaWheeze
QUOTE (RedMist @ Jun 18 2012, 12:55 PM) *

That would be good. It certainly would provide incentive for us to go to the Chilliwack Grands.
bmxundergrounddotcom
QUOTE (vjorrand @ Jun 18 2012, 02:42 PM) *

Vincent

I was planning on hitting the Canadian National in Kingston. It's the closest National to me (despite being out of the ountry, haha).

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I had thought you would be able to bring those points back.
ANT DOG 3:16
This is the fellow "canuck" I met, meeting him makes me want to there

https://vimeo.com/42311690

Jeff Lehmann
Burlington ON Canada

46-50 Rookie Cruiser!
Bill Curtin
QUOTE (bmxundergrounddotcom @ Jun 20 2012, 04:13 AM) *
I was planning on hitting the Canadian National in Kingston. It's the closest National to me (despite being out of the ountry, haha).

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I had thought you would be able to bring those points back.

Message boards Nick, told ya about that one.. LOL

For your information, any national races in the BMX Canada series including the Grands can count towards a US riders best six scores. REPEAT, any Canadian national will count. No strings attached. You race it, the score comes here.

Now for a Canadian rider who wants to use a Canadian score in the US standings, they need to match it with a US score. One for one. Race three US races and three Canadian races, there is your six.

Before riders cry foul, the Canadian ABA series was set up to draw US riders up there for the competition increase. In BC, this in effect has increased the talents of a flock of riders and raised their abilities to an incredible level, Tory Nyhaug, Connor McCormack, and Drew Mechielsen being a few of the many standouts.

Ontario has their first national weekend this year in the series and who knows where the series will go. If its anything like BC, it will skyrocket. The tracks in ON have shown in just the past season alone that the riders are there and we are excited as an organization to be working with the tracks! grow.
Thrash
or as one Cnat announcer put it "thank you for bringing money"
bmxundergrounddotcom
QUOTE (Bill Curtin @ Jun 20 2012, 11:35 PM) *
Message boards Nick, told ya about that one.. LOL

For your information, any national races in the BMX Canada series including the Grands can count towards a US riders best six scores. REPEAT, any Canadian national will count. No strings attached. You race it, the score comes here.

Now for a Canadian rider who wants to use a Canadian score in the US standings, they need to match it with a US score. One for one. Race three US races and three Canadian races, there is your six.

Before riders cry foul, the Canadian ABA series was set up to draw US riders up there for the competition increase. In BC, this in effect has increased the talents of a flock of riders and raised their abilities to an incredible level, Tory Nyhaug, Connor McCormack, and Drew Mechielsen being a few of the many standouts.

Ontario has their first national weekend this year in the series and who knows where the series will go. If its anything like BC, it will skyrocket. The tracks in ON have shown in just the past season alone that the riders are there and we are excited as an organization to be working with the tracks! grow.

Well then, I may have to change my plans.....

Thanks Bill,

AZaz
I think Bill forgot to mention how fun these races are, most the of the time you get a chance to do something besides race and be at the track all day, not to mention the hospitality is the best. The tracks are amazing.
Bill Curtin
QUOTE (AZaz @ Jun 21 2012, 04:17 PM) *
I think Bill forgot to mention how fun these races are, most the of the time you get a chance to do something besides race and be at the track all day, not to mention the hospitality is the best. The tracks are amazing.

Absolutely, the vibe at the race is awesome. The riders/families are laid back and the racing is great. My first experience at a BC national was like a monster local. Hanging out in the camping area after the race, was a blast.

now don't get me wrong, a US National can be fun but it is different. How about when you DQ a rider and he apologizes to you. Thats strange but refreshing. I think there is a ban on little league parenting when you go through customs or something.

If you ever have the chance to head north for a race, do it. It's worth it.
Bill Curtin
. biggrin.gif
Largus
I think BMXCanada has been fantastic for BMX in Canada and would love to see them running the show in the entire country. Doubledown, the nearest track to Sarnia would be Chatham, Port Elgin and the soon to open London track. Not sure what moto or rider counts they get at either track, would love to know though. How many motos do you get when you cross over to race in Michigan MXNate?

As for the current situation of a split sanction in BC, its definately holding back the province from having a fantastic provincial race series, of having improved rider development and unfortunately, only the kids are the ones that are suffering. CyclingBC only runs 4 tracks out of 16, and they are all located in the Vancouver area, so they don't even provide a true provincial race series. They also have absolutely nothing to draw American riders north of the border which is another massive benefit of having BMXCanada in our country, it brings points chasers and swells the numbers of riders and makes the fields faster. Another knock on Cycling BC is when it comes time for the important development ages and parents need to get their kids into the CCA program, they are forced to race only those 4 tracks in Vancouver and have to travel from all around the province to get there, and have generally poor turnouts (21 motos for a CyclingBC Cup, the Island BMXCanada PCRs were getting between 35-45 motos.) There is no flexability to work with BMXCanada tracks on the Island or in the interior, and BC is an absolutely massive province to travel around, so it allows kids in Vancouver to move forward in the program, not so much with all the others. The reality is its time for CyclingBC to let go of running the races and concentrate on rider development, coaching and learning to work together with BMXCanada to move the province forward as a unified group. One of the big issues though is that its felt as though Americans are taking over Canada and hindering Canadian BMX, instead of looking at it as perhaps two groups working together, hand in hand to move the sport forward with all BC riders in the end benefiting. Last year at the CCA Canadian Nationals we only had 240 riders show up. There was double that at the BMXCanada Grands last year, another statement of where most riders prefer to spend their money.

As for the product BMXCanada provides, our family will travel from BC to race Kingston this year, and we are really looking forward to being there for that. I have my fingers crossed that a lot of Americans from NY, Ohio and Michigan will show up and support this race as National points will be there for the taking. biggrin.gif Will also try and race Gan and Ottawa while we are there. Should be fantastic.
Bill Curtin
What Largus said. good3.gif
DAD79
edit
RedMist
QUOTE (MXNate @ Jun 18 2012, 05:11 PM) *
Its good to hear all the positives, sounds like there doing something right. I agree we need to push to have a unified sanction coast to coast, I don't see why that could'nt be Usabmx??? Don't get me wrong, I like racing in the States but as a Canadian I think it would be rad to race for a Provincial or National championship.

Has anyone got details on the new track in London, Ont, I think its at London sports West??? Lots of rumour, they're even listed on the usabmx site but nothing more than that just yet.

I was talking to Norv (TO). He said the track should be open in July. They are looking for clay
cjbmxr
QUOTE (RedMist @ Jun 22 2012, 07:32 AM) *
I was talking to Norv (TO). He said the track should be open in July. They are looking for clay

Find London on Facebook....Campbell Miliken is leading the drive and is constantly looking for help!

Campbell is well known in Michigan and certainly on the national USA BMX circuit, I believe he holds a current National #2???

d0ubledown
QUOTE (Largus @ Jun 21 2012, 09:13 PM) *
As for the current situation of a split sanction in BC, its definately holding back the province from having a fantastic provincial race series, of having improved rider development and unfortunately, only the kids are the ones that are suffering. CyclingBC only runs 4 tracks out of 16, and they are all located in the Vancouver area, so they don't even provide a true provincial race series. They also have absolutely nothing to draw American riders north of the border which is another massive benefit of having BMXCanada in our country, it brings points chasers and swells the numbers of riders and makes the fields faster. Another knock on Cycling BC is when it comes time for the important development ages and parents need to get their kids into the CCA program, they are forced to race only those 4 tracks in Vancouver and have to travel from all around the province to get there, and have generally poor turnouts (21 motos for a CyclingBC Cup, the Island BMXCanada PCRs were getting between 35-45 motos.) There is no flexability to work with BMXCanada tracks on the Island or in the interior, and BC is an absolutely massive province to travel around, so it allows kids in Vancouver to move forward in the program, not so much with all the others. The reality is its time for CyclingBC to let go of running the races and concentrate on rider development, coaching and learning to work together with BMXCanada to move the province forward as a unified group. One of the big issues though is that its felt as though Americans are taking over Canada and hindering Canadian BMX, instead of looking at it as perhaps two groups working together, hand in hand to move the sport forward with all BC riders in the end benefiting. Last year at the CCA Canadian Nationals we only had 240 riders show up. There was double that at the BMXCanada Grands last year, another statement of where most riders prefer to spend their money.

As for the product BMXCanada provides, our family will travel from BC to race Kingston this year, and we are really looking forward to being there for that. I have my fingers crossed that a lot of Americans from NY, Ohio and Michigan will show up and support this race as National points will be there for the taking. biggrin.gif Will also try and race Gan and Ottawa while we are there. Should be fantastic.

agreed and agreed. im a lowermainlander, so im lucky (or unlucky) to be able to do both. yes, while bmx canada does provide the better product, the people at the cca tracks are also fantastic. those riders that travel to other cca tracks most likely do aba as well...and those that stick to their home tracks, im sure wouldnt care which umbrella the track was under. not sure whats holding back the unified sanction. if OCA can cooperate and come up with an agreement with bmx canada, i dont see why the same cant happen here with cycling bc. ya the cdn nationals doesnt have the ridercount as aba nationals. western nationals last year (AB and BC) had a small showing. even with the wns grands being held in abbotsford last year...the majority of the riders were still AB riders. bc cup struggles to get more motos than action's local races. we're not doing the series because honestly, they're just glorified local races. should be called the 'lower mainland cup'. why pay $25-30 to have the kids they race in weekly locals?

the whole cca 'development' team? they choose based on standing in the cup series + championship race. top 2 in each age/sex category. but its also very 'selective' who they want on there. the development camps are 4 or so 'free clinics', but most of the time half those chosen to be on the team dont even show up since they're either out of lowermainland or its not worth their time. id rather pay the $35 per rider for the clinic than have to shell out $30 for each bc cup race for them to even be considered.

its always been suggested that cycling bc should concentrate on rider development and aba should run all the races and all race series. from what i see/read on teh internets...i dont think either camp wants to let go what they have control of. but sounds like that would be the ticket needed to make bmx (in bc anyway) go from great to fantastic.

good luck on the kingston nat. id imagine lots of americans will show up...
MXNate
QUOTE (cjbmxr @ Jun 22 2012, 11:57 AM) *
Find London on Facebook....Campbell Miliken is leading the drive and is constantly looking for help!

Campbell is well known in Michigan and certainly on the national USA BMX circuit, I believe he holds a current National #2???

I think Campbell is pretty well known Everywhere! hahaha
Good to hear that Cam is involved as well, top notch guy in my books for sure.
cruiserdad
Our experience with BMX Canada, has been limited to this years Chilliwack spring Nats race. It was great ! well organized ran smoothly and the track was fast. The experience my boy had from running against fast BC riders and teh Really fast US riders was amazing and better then any coaching i could pay to get him. We were one of teh 50+ alberta riders making the trek to find faster and more competitive racing. we will be in langely and are heading to the Vegas Nationals as part of our summer Vacation

We are Alberta CCA riders, and we just finished our second Provincial race here. Attended by almost 500 riders ( almost 50% of the licensed riders in the province).
The problem , IMO, is that cycling is incredibly fragmented in Canada. Certainaly the CCA oversee's everythiing, but there are provincial cycling associations being run by roadies that want all the $$$. If BMX Canada wanted to unify BMX in Canada, they should approach the CCA with this proposition.
Let BMX Canada sanction, direct, MARKET and organize BMX in Canada, In exchange for this control, BMX Canada will funnel $$ back into CCA to help develop a U 14 elite development program and national level coaching specifically directed at BMX.
Once you have a collective NATINAL group that is not run by volunteers you will see a groth in this program that it hasnt experienced before.

Alberta BMX has 1200 licensed riders right now, of which less then 1% are participating within the BMX Canada events.
I could potentially see Nationals with over 1000 riders in them in Western canada.

A unification is definetly what this sport needs to see any type of growth in canada

Just my thought
Largus
The ABA did try that, they were told by the CCA that they were going to crush them and run them out of the country. That worked well, they're still here and growing, whilst the CCA lost Ontario. I think that the recipe for success has to be the terms that BMXCanada puts out to the individual provinces, and using the key word UNIFICATION. There seems to be a lingering feeling that the Americans are taking over, and to avoid those fears it needs to be a message of working together to improve Canadian BMX racing and development. This message needs to be hammered home over and over, working together. CCA does a great job of getting money and grants to put into rider development, so let them focus on that and let BMXCanada run the races, which they do a superior job at. Something that the CCA will never do is draw American riders into Canada for ANY reason, but BMXCanada does, and this is a huge plus. This makes bigger, faster and more competitive fields, and is one of the big draws for their series. And with an absolutely superior product just south of the border the CCA does NOTHING to encourage its riders to travel to the big US Nationals which will only make them better racers. Its crazy in this country how hockey has figured out all the right things and none of the amateur sporting bodies pay any attention to what they do. They have young Canadians playing in the states, they have Americans and Europeans playing in Canada. Yet somehow, Hockey Canada still develops these kids, finds the best of them and gets them into the program. BMX in BC, not a chance, only a few kids are part of the program and not all the fastest, take for example, Natalie Schmidt, CNAT#1 in BMXCanada, NAG #1 and NAT #4 in USABMX and the fastest 11 year old girl in North America. She is not on the BC BMX development team. That pretty much sums up the current failure of the BC rider development program and the CCA program. BMXCanada if your listening, working together, not taking over. Please. And soon.
AsthmaWheeze
QUOTE (Largus @ Jun 26 2012, 10:50 PM) *
CCA does a great job of getting money and grants to put into rider development, so let them focus on that

How so? Where's the beef?

I bet you didn't know... There are currently 2 Canadian racers, both of them US NAG ranked, who live in the U.S. One is a 14 year old boy and the other a 15 year old girl.

The USAC Jr Devo program here is an excellent one. So is the USABMX racing format and points allocation for National and NAG. It's basically the 6 best race scores + Grands placing (double points) based on proficiency, rider count, and placement. With the surging success of East Coast Nationals it's now become a money game where NAG and NAT points chasing are the new District, but good riders usually still make at least NAG 10-20 or NAT 100. Furthermore, the USABMX racing structure nurtures RACING. Although we heard from time to time whining about "US racers coming to get easy points" at Canadian Nationals we attended, we never hear this in the US. The racers, parents, and sponsors have been inclusive and terrific. If your kid does well they show interest. In all the years we lived in Canada we never received any sponsorship offers from any Canadian-based manufacturer or team.

In regard to Jr Devo, it's my understanding that USABMX's point of view was that both those kids should be eligible to race the Jr Devo program if they wanted to. USABMX pointed out that if they were able to make it into the mix that would just make their US counterparts better prepared.

Unfortunately, USAC and it's Canadian counterpart, CCA, have not been helpful. In the case of our son, at 13 years old, in his first Jr Devo race he was able to place 4th Sat and Sun at the 2011 Salt Lake City Nats. Unfortunately, a few weeks later, after winning the Saturday Jr Devo race at the smaller Burlington, NC National, we were called in and informed that we didn't meet the USAC citizenship requirement. It was our understanding that USABMX tried, unsuccessfully, to get the USAC to allow the two exceptions. The reason given was that it might screw up the borderline eligibility pointers for the periodic Chula Vista Jr Devo training camp invitations. We offered to pay our own way if the kids became eligible. No go. USABMX suggested that we take it up with CCA as there is some kind of reciprocity agreement for the Jr and Elite racers. I'm not sure we ever even received a reply from CCA on this.

In August 2011, due to strict school attendance requirements (and football), we asked the CCA if we could register our son(s) online or the Friday before their CCA 'Grand Nationals' race near Quebec city. We had about 20 family members lined up to come see the race on Saturday. We were able to get hold of that track director where the race was being held to ask for permission to let us register Friday, but the CCA lady representative, who was standing near him, refused. If I recall correctly, she refused to talk to me on the phone about this. Apparently there's some constipated CCA rule where the racer must be present and register the Thursday before race (no racing Friday!). This is for a, what, 60-80 moto 'Grand National' where the best should be welcome? I suppose the 2011 USABMX 14 NAG 2 class and 14 NAG 2 cruiser just didn't cut it for the mighty CCA? The point is, in 2010, we registered our then 11 x in the ABA BMX Grands in Tulsa at 7:45 pm the Friday before a 400+ moto 'Grands'. Bill Curtin thought it was funny that we'd decided to register our reluctant Anthony. BTW, he made the Main.

It's our understanding that the other Canadian 15 year old girl will soon be eligible for racing in Jr Women. Her family figures that that's the best way for her to represent Canada.

It seems that this is the road we're going to take, too, until we've finally had enough of the ever rising travel costs for racing events.

You're being too generous to the CCA if you think that they can contribute to 'high level' development of Canadian BMX racing athletes. These are the same people who sent possibly one of the best Canadian bmx racing trainers Ken Cools packing to New Zealand. That country's doing pretty well last count.

IMO, with the USABMX interest in the development of Eastern Canada is a blessing for parents of and bmx racers who want to be competitive against their western counterpars and/or on the world scene. The CCA had its chance. As it currently stands, all it's successful at transforming the simplest ways to develop racing athletes into an unrecognizable format that reeks of figure skating.

MWhite
Largus
Wow, I'm truly upset and troubled by your story. The incredulity I've heard here in BC by the thought of letting Americans develop our racers, then the Schmidt issue and this, that really is very crappy. Around here they seem to take alot of credit for Tory too, even though he is a multi ABA Canadian National champion and had to travel to the USA repeatedly to establish himself. It just means that at the grassroot level, the ones that have kids moving forward need to stand up even more and not accept the status quo.

Please PM me the names of the two racers so I can keep tabs on them and watch for their results, it would be a pleasure. Also hopefully we can watch you race in Kingston.
AsthmaWheeze
QUOTE (Largus @ Jun 27 2012, 12:26 AM) *
Wow, I'm truly upset and troubled by your story. The incredulity I've heard here in BC by the thought of letting Americans develop our racers, then the Schmidt issue and this, that really is very crappy. Around here they seem to take alot of credit for Tory too, even though he is a multi ABA Canadian National champion and had to travel to the USA repeatedly to establish himself. It just means that at the grassroot level, the ones that have kids moving forward need to stand up even more and not accept the status quo.

Please PM me the names of the two racers so I can keep tabs on them and watch for their results, it would be a pleasure. Also hopefully we can watch you race in Kingston.

USABMX
15 Boys Christopher White (2012 NAG 5 class and NAG 1 Cruiser)- I'm not sure where he currently stands in NAG for 2013
16 Girls Josie Ritchie (Not sure what NAG she's running in 2012)
We're trying to make it to Kingston. My mother was born there and we spent childhood summers camping at Lake Ontario Park.
customerservice
Def. keep your eye on this Christopher White kid. I've had the pleasure of seeing him race a few times this year and he is very fast. A pleasure to watch.
cruiserdad
WOW, its great to hear that there are some canadian riders truly taking advantage of developing skills. Rider development in this sport seems to be on the backs and wallets of parents.
The BC CCA development group is short sited, and narrow minded in its development of riders. and the fact that the coach cant see past the Abbotsford track, let alone anywhere else in canada. ( Personal opinion)

We are geographically challenged with the sheer size of the country. BMX as a sport is going through a re-birth in Canada, New tracks are popping up in Saskatchewan, and atlantic Canada, but there are currently holes across the province where kids dont have the opportunity to try and race.

This is where i see BMXCANADA helping grow this sport to huge proportions, with the Marketing that they can do.

Take the city that we live in, Calagry has a population of over a million people, 1 Track 175 members. This city should have 2 - 3 tracks each with 200 plus members in it.
Why doesnt it? because Alberta BMX doesnt have the dollars to market the sport, and the local track is handcuffed by its location to encourage rider to travel across traffic riddled streets to get to the track.

CCA wont take BMX seriously until we have a medal in the sport, unfortuneately we cant get a medal until CCA takes us seriously...

Mike
AsthmaWheeze

I appreciate the comments about Chris. Thanks. I hope that the comments I made can / will be helpful to parents of / and younger racers looking towards the future. It's very important that racing development begin as early as possible, preferably as young as 9. BMX racing skills are not developed over night and it's pretty clear that Canada and the US are lagging in government funding of younger age development programs. It's all private money now. This is expected by the parents to a degree. The problem with poorly managed grant programs is that you get the sense that someone is always moving the goal posts to benefit preferred or favorite(s) that have towed the "name the alphabet" program manager's line.
Largus
Man you nailed that last comment. The attitude here in BC is "Eventually they'll have to come race for us if they want to race OUR supercross track." That pisses me off so much, so egotistical, short sighted and power hungry. I've heard it said many times, 5-10 people in BC control the current situtation of a split sanction, and unfortunately, some of those families that are fighting it have their kids right in line for the devo train. Pretty sad. And when our national coach is asked to help work with kids and he says he'll try and find the time but right now he's too busy.....
macdoa
QUOTE (cruiserdad @ Jun 27 2012, 08:47 AM) *
This is where i see BMXCANADA helping grow this sport to huge proportions, with the Marketing that they can do.

Take the city that we live in, Calagry has a population of over a million people, 1 Track 175 members. This city should have 2 - 3 tracks each with 200 plus members in it.
Why doesnt it? because Alberta BMX doesnt have the dollars to market the sport, and the local track is handcuffed by its location to encourage rider to travel across traffic riddled streets to get to the track.

You guys feel free to debate the merits of single sanction/multiple sanction etc. but I will throw my two bits in on this comment.

There are very few cities in North America that manage to support multiple well attended BMX tracks. Bigger cities do not necessarily mean more riders, in fact smaller towns seem to do better overall and many very large cities haven't got a single track, this is true in Canada and the US. There are lots of potential reasons that this works out this way demographics, lack of suitable and accessible land, more competing sports etc. Neither sanction opens tracks, volunteers do that. If you feel your city can support another track and you can get 175 riders out to that track then by all means open one up and choose the sanction that suits your needs or find your own insurance and start your own sanction, simple as that.

These discussions always seem to assume that BMX in Canada is struggling along and that as soon as you cross the border there are all of a sudden heaps of successful tracks with huge rider counts, that is not the case. If you use the district points to compare relative rider counts between the states and provinces you would find that both BC and Alberta are in the top 10 with only a few states such as California, Arizona and Texas being significantly larger. USABMX does a good job of bringing riders together for the National races, which makes the sport appear more successful than it actually is.
cruiserdad
Largus,
Not certain if you are aware, but ther eis land in Central calagry that has been "donated" to the Calgary Supercross Association. With plans to build a world class Supercross track for continued training for "ALL" .

Elite traxs are on board, and the group is fundraising as we speak.

On Facebook search Calgary Supercross Association.
This group is starting to look towards hosting a world cup event as well as national level elite/ junior races.

This is the first attempt at having two tracks in this city.
It may also be sanctioned ABA .

And I will take this moment to wish the 20 - 30 Alberta BMX'rs heading south to Salt Lake this weekend!

SandyMechi
I have been involved in BMX for the last 12 years in BC. I will say without a doubt that USABmx (ABA) has been good for BMX in Canada.

When we started there were only 5 tracks sanctioned by ABA up here. In 2003 that grew to 11 and we currently have 12 in BC plus the Ontario tracks. USABmx/BMXCanada has grown the program exponentially from when we started in 2000 and continues to do so.

If we didn't have this program I guarantee you that we would still only have a handful of Canadian riders venturing down to the States to try out the competition down there in the American National series. And then only a small portion of that handful would actually rise to the challenge and keep going down knowing that racing better riders makes you faster. I have watched the Canadian participation in the American series grow significantly over the 12 years.

With the BMX Canada program up here we get a flow of racers from the States into our National series (and a little bit into the Provincial series) that continues to keep the bar high for our racers and show them what level they need to rise to and try and beat.

I have always been of the opinion that the Americans take their sports very seriously and we should use that to help our racers improve.

We are planning on racing at Kingston to support them in their first BMX Canada National event. I hope to see tons of Americans up there looking for the "easy" points because that will only help the Canadians get better. Our southern racers are excellent examples and we should be happy we have them so close.

cruiserdad
Well said Sandy, My 10 yr old who is a top 4 rider in his group in Alberta, didnt make his mains at Chilliwack, but 3 days of racing and he came back visibly confident, and people have commented "Faster" . So we will do what we can to continue to expose him to this level of competition.
I fear that a select controlling few in Alberta are scared that there very fast children would not make mains and that is why they are reluctant to invite the BMXCANADA program to Alberta.

Wish we were heading to Salt Lake this weekend, but we will be at the Las Vegas National in 2 weeks...

Comeon BMXCANADA figure out the Alberta Solution....
rdneck
Although we heard from time to time whining about "US racers coming to get easy points" at Canadian Nationals we attended, we never hear this in the US. The racers, parents, and sponsors have been inclusive and terrific. If your kid does well they show interest. In all the years we lived in Canada we never received any sponsorship offers from any Canadian-based manufacturer or team.

To be perfectly fair, more often than not it isn't rider that's the issue its the parent that teams and sponsorship stays clear of.... lol
If a rider is skilled and a good kid teams will ask, when it doesn't happen parents really need to look at themselves...

Yes BMXCanada has been very successful. The CCA development is an old boys club and unless your close buddies forget it. Definitely not our best riders, those are developed quite nicely right here with the ABA (Bmxcanada)
AsthmaWheeze
QUOTE (rdneck @ Jun 29 2012, 05:28 PM) *
To be perfectly fair, more often than not it isn't rider that's the issue its the parent that teams and sponsorship stays clear of.... lol
If a rider is skilled and a good kid teams will ask, when it doesn't happen parents really need to look at themselves..

Yes I suppose that works if you're running a social club. Maybe you're right that the best funded teams have the best quality parents.
d0ubledown
QUOTE (rdneck @ Jun 29 2012, 02:28 PM) *
Yes BMXCanada has been very successful. The CCA development is an old boys club and unless your close buddies forget it. Definitely not our best riders, those are developed quite nicely right here with the ABA (Bmxcanada)

pretty much sums it up right there...
Largus
Take notice CCA, your riders are going south to compete and are killing it. Time to work with the US, not stick your head in the sand and think that there is no benefit to being down there.

Canadian's killing it on Canada Day in SLC Nationals Utah, USA.

1st Robyn Schenk 9 girls
1st Drew Mechielsen 14 girls, 1st 13-14 Girls Cruiser
1st Daina Tuchscherer 15 girls
2nd Elaine McAdam 16 girls
4th Morgan McAdam 16 girls
2nd Hunter McGill 17-18 Cruiser
1st Greg McGill 56-60 Cruiser
2nd Wendy Vandenhoven 41-45 Girls Cruiser
3rd Ryder Gatzke-McIntosh 7 Ex
1st Alex Tougas 13 Ex
3rd Bobby Worth 14 Ex

Canadians killing it !!!!!

Drew Mechielsen and Alex Tougas need to have paid tickets by Cycling BC to go race at the Grands in Tulsa, they can both end NAG #1 in the US and Canada. And as I was told, money isn't an issue. PROVE IT!!

*Sorry if I missed anyone.
rdneck
QUOTE (AsthmaWheeze @ Jun 29 2012, 10:38 PM) *
Yes I suppose that works if you're running a social club. Maybe you're right that the best funded teams have the best quality parents.

I suppose it is a social club. A place where riders can get together and enjoy the sport for what it is. Its the parents who believe the sport somehow owes the riders something that puts things completely out of perspective. Good teams won't deal with parents who have issues because its way too long a season for that. The parents who constantly complain that my kid gets ignored or shafted mess it up for their kids...
There is a life after BMX and good teams keep it fun.
DAD79
edit
Largus
Guess things need to get worse before they get better. Word on the street is that Cycling BC refuses to train a non-cycling BC member that wishes to get his NCCP certificate because he intends to work with BMXCanada. Ridiculous, a BC resident that pays BC taxes, then those taxes go into Sport BC who then inturn fund Cycling BC and they won't work with him. Lost alot more respect when I heard this.
RedMist
QUOTE (GANBMX @ Jul 16 2012, 10:50 PM) *
This has been quite the thread to read through.

I will add this to the beginning of my response...I have been involved in BMX since 2006 and only a short time under the Ontario Cycling Assoc banner. The majority of my BMX time has been under the ABA/BMX Canada banner. Previously in Ottawa, we were the only East Coast ABA sanctioned track, most of our travels outside of the local track were to NY and PA to attend State and National races. My comments will be from the perspective of being a "BMX Canada(ian)"

The support given to the local track is phenomenal, if you make use of the system provided. The marketing resources are great to help promote your track. The ability as a Track Operator to pick up the phone and talk shop with Bill Curtin, Brad Hallin, John David, Chris Luna etc...is a tremendous asset for a Track Operator. On race day if there is an issue with the software building motos, track or rule dispute...a quick call and you have your answer.

The partnership established in Ontario is something that can be a great success when people with a "stated" common purpose put aside fears and truly understand what can be done. If everyone wants to have Canada with a successful BMX program and eventually develop riders in the sport of BMX and one day have a Olympic day in Abby, Calgary or Toronto (PAN AM) track where we are qualifying our best BMX'ers into the Olympics...then how to do we get there?

The continual "sanction wars" and "protection" of races really needs to be put aside, and a common structure that will allow riders from every province and every track race in successful local, provincial and National series. There is no reason, that BMX Canada Grands and Canadian National Championships cannot have huge rider counts will "all" the top racers competing.

Bringing in BMX Canada to run local programs and race series should be seen as strategic outsourcing. Business' do this all the time, government does this as well. Working in a private sector for 13 years, I was a consultant to government depts all the time, so there is no reason for fearing that "for profit" business cannot be involved in a sport. In fact, from most of the comments I have heard over the years, I really don't think many people understand non-profits anyway.

Can BMX Canada host UCI races, certainly....it is done in the US right now with no issues. Why not Canada? In fact this is something I want to do at our track in 2013.

Partnerships can work, BMX Canada and the OCA can work successfully together. As I said earlier, I had limited exposure to the OCA prior to the Ontario tracks sanctioned in the new agreement with OCA. The people I have met in the OCA and former OCA have been great people. We have hosted a Coaching Seminar to get local coaches in place at the local tracks. We had a seminar on how to establish a High Performance Program in the Province...all works in progress, but items we don't get from BMX Canada....they will tell you the OCA does this best. BMX Canada can do what they do, and frees the OCA to do what they can do. If we support the agreement and work together for the betterment of the sport, everyone wins, especially the riders and their families.

Nice topic, and to summarize, YES, it has been good for Canada...but not done yet.

That's the first time I had heard about the Pan Am track. Thanks.
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandg...7/16923961.html
markymark
Is there any local interest in taking over the Pan Am track when the games are over? The mayors point is well taken, and if you've ever seen pictures of the Beiijing track a year after the olympics, it truly was a sad eyesore.
Largus
Think OCA/BMXCanada should try and take it over and make it the Ontario BMX training center. Then alot more then the stated 48 riders would ride it and it would get years of use. Easy to schedule a national series race there and also run Provincial Championships there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.