Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 Olympic Coaches Pick Should Be...........
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
DaDenilder
In my opinion your USA coaches pick should be Corben Sharrah. Very strong showing today on the Olympic replica track. He is definitely podium capable. Too bad we don’t have more qualifying positions as we have many other deserving riders here in the USA. Congrats to all selected for the opportunity today at the trials. These are 8 of the best in the USA and the entire World. The decision of course will not be easy but that is my honest opinion. Let's hear yours......

CONGRATS TO CONNOR FIELDS! USA WILL BE WELL REPRESENTED!!
Bmx Prof
I'm calling Day. Still hoping that Barry's ride today gets him in. I think Long lost it today. Sharrah may be the upset pick... seems he has that track dialed.
ctownbmxer
Sharrah has a SX win, and with the performance today, I believe he is the best bet. He was absolutely flying.
reedhamilton
I think Nic Long mentioned in a pre-Trials interview that his back has been bothering him, so maybe that affected his performance today. He has definitely had a solid year.

Mike Day looked his best ever since he began his comeback after his back surgery. Really cool to see the old guard mixing it up with the young bucks. Does he have a shot at the coaches pick?

But the standout performance (other than Connor) was Corben Sharrah. This is the form that we saw back in early 2011, before he went down at the Worlds in Copenhagen. If you are looking for someone who is peaking at the right time for London, you have to seriously consider Corben.

Would love to be in the room to hear the discussion and votes for the coaches pick.

Thanks Mike and Pete for the tweets and vids. And scoop of the day goes to Marc Willers with the first tweet of Connor's win. Willers is fast on and off the track!

edwards
Main thing to remember is London, not today- no medals! It is a gamble no matter what. We all have our favorite to go but we are not the ones deciding. So many qualified riders could do it for the US but do we have alternates if Connor, Corbin or the pick (what a butt patch to have) aren't able or worse yet get hurt. Do we have a plan? Same with the ladies, we have Martin and even Helen Keller can figure it out to be Post but same issue would Brooke be 100% by then or Carr or Giving?
mxmug
Corben , Day and Nobles got 2,3 and 4 in the main. So it looks like Corben is in.
JDR
Nic....
Yummyyummy
Day got 2nd in the main..so it looks like day is in based on your theory.

QUOTE (mxmug @ Jun 16 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Corben , Day and Nobles got 2,3 and 4 in the main. So it looks like Corben is in.

mxmug
Corben won the time trials. I think he also has 2 SX wins. With his jumping ability and the fact that he is younger, I wouldnt be suprised to see him picked. On the other hand Day would not be a suprise either.
g-mo
Corben also had the the fastest lap and was the only one under 38 seconds today. He's my pick.
aznpersuasion
#teamCorben #SharrahforCoachesPick
TomTruxell
Corben should have got the pick
g-mo
QUOTE (TomTruxell @ Jun 17 2012, 12:46 AM) *
Corben should have got the pick

Based on?
nigelnyc
I guess it could have been a toss up as Nic Long did make the main at London last summer and Corben just happened to do better yesterday. I always think the person riding better the closer you get to the event should get the pick, which I felt was Sharrah. But no complaints from me for Nic Long getting the pick yesterday.
TomTruxell
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jun 17 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Based on?

He was faster, great results at the trials race, the most important race being on the Olympic replica track with high pressure trying to make the team, close to the games. He does better in the time trials which can be important for lane choice. Corben and Nic were both going fast at the worlds and could have made the main but didn't. Or Mike Day would have been a good choice based on this race.

But I guess Nic got it cause he got more points at the last 3 or 4 SX races it looks like from the Power rankings https://www.usacycling.org/forms/bmx/2012-B...s-Elite-Men.pdf
Stileman
It's all politics. Let the debate begin.

This is why they should have made the coaches pick Connor before the event. I think that they had Nic already chosen. They should have waited to see how this even went before they had their mind made up. Nic wasn't even top 4 yesterday, yet he goes? One thing I always liked about racing is that judges did not decide winners and losers. Corben left it all on the track. Of the five races yeasterday who had more overall points. I think Corben finished with more overall points that Connor. He won three out of five laps on the day.

I wonder if it would have made a differnce if Corben won the first moto. Imagine that. He wins the time trial all three motos hits the gate in the main and doesn't get the pick. I wonder if the commitee even watched the race yesterday. I didn't see it but everybody that did said that Corben was the fastest guy yesterday. I wonder if they took into consideration that Corben was coming back form a broken femur.

I think Alise was the right pick for the women.
woodybmx86
Day got third, right? looking at the main looked like somebody was in second all the way till a photo finish at the line.,,. either Day got passed, or he mad an awesome charge and almost got second. be that as it may, he is coming back from injuries, and puts this in... good stuff. plus, he knows how to get it done at the Olympics. My money would have been on him over Long, or even sharrah.
Chase266
QUOTE (Stileman @ Jun 17 2012, 11:15 AM) *
It's all politics. Let the debate begin.

This is why they should have made the coaches pick Connor before the event. I think that they had Nic already chosen. They should have waited to see how this even went before they had their mind made up. Nic wasn't even top 4 yesterday, yet he goes? One thing I always liked about racing is that judges did not decide winners and losers. Corben left it all on the track. Of the five races yeasterday who had more overall points. I think Corben finished with more overall points that Connor. He won three out of five laps on the day.

I wonder if it would have made a differnce if Corben won the first moto. Imagine that. He wins the time trial all three motos hits the gate in the main and doesn't get the pick. I wonder if the commitee even watched the race yesterday. I didn't see it but everybody that did said that Corben was the fastest guy yesterday. I wonder if they took into consideration that Corben was coming back form a broken femur.

I think Alise was the right pick for the women.

Totally agree. Corben is still coming back and looks amazing. They obviously didn't base the pick on the trials at all. And yeah alise is the way to go for the womens team. I personally think she has a better shot than martin.
TomTruxell
That was Corben who was last in the first turn in the main and came back to almost 2nd at the line, although who did finish 2nd?. I was wondering if he hit the gate or spun or what cause his first few pedals didn't look fast for some reason, or like he spun on his 3rd pedal, watching this video http://yfrog.com/77stzzz. From the twitvid video it looks like he may have just barely hit the gate, but he didn't crush it.

Good thing Connor won, you never know who they may have chose. This race should have been a huge part in who the 3rd choice was but it does seam like it wasn't.
mxmug
QUOTE (nigelnyc @ Jun 17 2012, 05:40 AM) *
I guess it could have been a toss up as Nic Long did make the main at London last summer and Corben just happened to do better yesterday. I always think the person riding better the closer you get to the event should get the pick, which I felt was Sharrah. But no complaints from me for Nic Long getting the pick yesterday.

One short year ago I thought we had an amazing one, two punch in Connor and Nic. A year later we just haven't seen much out of Nic. It seems that Corben, Day and dR have all showed more in the last 11 months or so. Even so congrats to Mr Long and I hope to see him get it together and become the rider I think he can be.

As a side note why did we have that trial yesterday. Connor was in no matter what. So it really was just a waste of the riders time. It was more of a soviet era show trial than an Olympic trial.
g-mo
QUOTE (TomTruxell @ Jun 17 2012, 11:27 AM) *
This race should have been a huge part in who the 3rd choice was but it does seam like it wasn't.

The picks were done right after the worlds. Yesterdays results had nothing to do with the committee selection.
TomTruxell
Wow. so lets say Corben or anyone else would have won the main yesterday, would they have chosen Connor for the 3rd rider? It was interesting how Connor said in interviews that he basically already knew he was going to the games either by winning or he would get the coachs pick, he said something like that.
g-mo
He would have gotten the pick based on his results. Anyone besides Nic or Connor had to win the trials in the end.
Bikemonkeys
Now they can start training for the Olympics and not events leading up to it.
Stileman
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jun 17 2012, 11:49 AM) *
He would have gotten the pick based on his results. Anyone besides Nic or Connor had to win the trials in the end.

That makes me wonder after Nic failed to make it to the final 4 yesterday, how much was Nic rooting for Conner? He is just sitting there knowing that his trip to the Olympics is dependent on the first coaches pick(Connor) to win. There will be a lot of pressure on Nic to perform in London. A bad performance will bring up questions as to whether he should have gone instead of Corben.

If they really did pick the coaches pick after London, then why did they let that person race? Many questions, many debates. They should have not let the coaches pick race yesterday. That way there is to disputing it. Connor was the obvious coaches pick. The others could be up to debate. Why they would Pick the the top two before the trials is stupid.

Only one rider beat Connor this year in a time trial. And that rider is not going to London.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (Stileman @ Jun 17 2012, 02:03 PM) *
That makes me wonder after Nic failed to make it to the final 4 yesterday, how much was Nic rooting for Conner? He is just sitting there knowing that his trip to the Olympics is dependent on the first coaches pick(Connor) to win. There will be a lot of pressure on Nic to perform in London. A bad performance will bring up questions as to whether he should have gone instead of Corben.

If they really did pick the coaches pick after London, then why did they let that person race? Many questions, many debates. They should have not let the coaches pick race yesterday. That way there is to disputing it. Connor was the obvious coaches pick. The others could be up to debate. Why they would Pick the the top two before the trials is stupid.

Only one rider beat Connor this year in a time trial. And that rider is not going to London.

Great points.
mxmug
Fields and Sharrah finished first and second in the opening moto, and then swapped spots in the second moto. Sharrah won the third moto before Fields stormed to victory in the finals.

The result left USA Cycling officials with a difficult decision on their discretionary pick, but they ultimately opted for Long over Sharrah and Day, the reigning Olympic silver medalist.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/olympics/story...s#ixzz1y579JBQu
g-mo
QUOTE (Stileman @ Jun 17 2012, 02:03 PM) *

The TT here was really for naught.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jun 17 2012, 03:09 PM) *
The TT here was really for naught.

the whole thing was really for naught if it was decided after London. Did Nick make the main in London?
g-mo
QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 17 2012, 03:14 PM) *
the whole thing was really for naught if it was decided after London. Did Nick make the main in London?

Yes, and finished third.

It wouldn't have been for naught if someone else won.
Stileman
At least in 08 Donny won a lap and finished second at the trials. Made his case stronger for the coaches pick. Not being in the top 4 makes it tough to make somebody a discretionary pick, when other riders are clearly going faster right now. This debate will go on and on unless Nic comes home from London with a medal, or least makes the main.

I think the hard thing here is that BMX has always been an objective sport. It was always clear who the winner is. Now we add a level of subjective judging into it and the case can be made for a few riders. The best thing for the USAC would have been for Connor to not win.
speedtrip84
It's an interesting problem to have for your country (I'm a Aussie). You have so many good riders and unfortunately some are going to miss out and initiate plenty of debate. At the Worlds, you guys nearly filled a quarter (or was it a semi?)!
Can't wait for the Olympics and yeah, go the Aussies smile.gif
FaithBMX
The Trials were only the criteria for one spot. The Trials should have had little to no bearing on the discretionary pick. The only way they would have made a difference is if there were two riders with equal SX results.
In my opinion there was just too much doubt as to whether or not Corben was 100% after his injury.

If Corben had not gotten injured and had continued to podium at SX races there is no doubt in my mind that he would have received the discretionary pick.
It's rough, but as several people said; no matter who received the discretionary selection somebody would be mad and claim that the wrong person was selected.

It is what it is and we are going to London with a strong squad.
rustydial
USA has way too many qualified men and three slots is always going to put a select deserving few on the outside looking in. I'm just curious how often a reigning silver medalist gets pushed aside (outside retirement) in favor of new talent in all the other Olympic sports in general. It is what it is but I personally I would have liked to see Mike Day going back with the team. Either way, I can't wait to watch the races.
benbmx47
I cant see the issue if nic long met all the selection criteria regardless of trials performancing you lot should be supporting the guys competing for your country regardless of being your favourite rider or not. Everyones busted their ass to get to where they are and theres always going to be a debate with the public but when it comes down to it these guys and girls are the chosen ones and need support not negtive feedback as to why they were the wrong choice
mxmug
Im pretty sure all of want Nic to do well. Questioning the selection process does not mean we are not going to root for who was selected.
Stileman
QUOTE (mxmug @ Jun 17 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Im pretty sure all of want Nic to do well. Questioning the selection process does not mean we are not going to root for who was selected.

exactly
Army125r
My personal opinion is that the coaches pick should be eliminated from future Olympic qualifiers or any qualifier for that matter.
I believe it should come down to the racing and who finishes in the top two positions.

If you are going to use previous race history to be the deciding factor, why even have the qualifier race?

Nothing against Nic here. I think he's an excellent racer. He just wasn't on it for this race.
Antsnz
Watched a bit of the racing and will watch more as was really interested in this
I think regardless the US team is strong
While their is a few questioning the policy it would of been an interesting position if Connor had not won
No one would of complained with the winner and then connor as the next pick (well maybe some of the other riders, haha)
And I like some of the points raised by Stileman - spot on.

I can see having a position which can be a "pick" can help with someone who is coming back from injury or has a bad trial
Lets face it its BMX things happen in 1000th of seconds and sometimes a rider will make a wrong move, over jump or whatever and get spat out the back.
No disrespect to any of the 8 that rode and of course Corben was on fire and did exactly that just missed his gate
So why not pick Corben? I imagine the committe looked at the whole season and not the trial

So to put it bluntly Corben like most of the field had One chance to go to the olympics - win the trial.
Connor had two chances (1st coach pick) and Nic by default of Connor winning also had two (second coach pic).
You could say they deserved those second chances due to their past racing/results power rankings.

What I think would be fair is telling all the riders up front what the odds are for them.
That way their is no false hope and the coaches pick criteria is a bit more defined so riders can understand how they can be the "coach pick"

Gary Mason WWR
Feel bad for Day. He looked like he was ready to peak at Olympics. Rarely do silver medalists sit home.
ScottyE
Long is clearly capable of running the field. His talent alone has gotten him very far. Sharrah I think was labelled the face of determination and will leading up to this point. Corben perhaps was the sentimental favorite to get the nod and that sucks for a lot of people.

The unspoken will be training.......Fields is ready...Herman will be ready...can Long commit fully to it or will it be another Party and rely on talent alone? At this stage that dog won't hunt. If that's the case they made the wrong choice.
mxmug
"So why not pick Corben? I imagine the committe looked at the whole season and not the trial"

I agree with what your saying. My question is what is longs record in 2012? Did I miss something?
Antsnz
QUOTE (mxmug @ Jun 18 2012, 03:22 PM) *
"So why not pick Corben? I imagine the committe looked at the whole season and not the trial"

I agree with what your saying. My question is what is longs record in 2012? Did I miss something?

nic's third on the power rankings and has made some SX top 8's (i think 3) he may of even podium'd (have not got time to check)
poor corben has been coming back from injury and his win in SA is not in the current season that I assume they are looking at

Given the power rankings you would have to say Mike Day must be gutted the most with the pick, given his good result in the trial and him being 4th in the power rankings just behind Nic

Maybe the trials need to add points to the power rankings for the third pick?

Pete1969
Like it or not they chose Nic. If he medals than everyone will be on the wagon saying great pick. If not, than all the haters will come out. Anyway, I think that atleast 2 medals should come back to the US. But in racing anything can happen.

Ride on
Double L
OK, this is for all of you conspiracy theorists. True, It's not another Zapruder film; however, the attached NBC San Diego news report has the title "Nic Long will soon travel to the London Games for the BMX competition" listed under his interview video. NOTE: This caption & video were recorded prior to the race. I'm sure it was a screw up by the news crew for assuming he was already selected OR was it? Did they already know? who knows? All I know is those black helicopters are making a lot of noise. (Seriously, I wish all of the riders the best of luck) They've all earned their place to represent the USA.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/the-scene/event...-158915475.html
woodybmx86
man, the more I see of the race the more I think Day should have made it...strong top two most of the way around every time.
http://youtu.be/J__i8GXEDBc
Bob D
WOW! didn't see any of it before today! Just to ride a bike like that!!! LOL It's sick! That track is crazy!
TomTruxell
Nice videos there. Love the first turn aggressive riding by Day. Nic looked very strong down the hill, was out front everytime, so that's good, he just has to not get pulled after that, he can do it.

Corben had his great chance to win that main but you can say he blew it, and that sucks for him.

Next time this race should factor into the power rankings and that 3rd pick since it seems only the power rankings and past years results had more to do with the pick and this race was only for the winner, didn't matter how good you did if you didn't win that main.
FaithBMX
I think the right choices were made.

That being said; I think that for 2016 they should change the process by making the discretionary selection before the Trials, add another rider to make 8 at the Trials, and then take the winner for the third and final spot.
That would also make the Trials that much more exciting, too. There would be no hope of "if I don't win the Trials I could still get the coach's pick"; it would all be on the line; win or stay home.

It's too late to question what happened this year. Just get behind the guys and gals that got selected.
tazbmx
The coaches pick was suppose to look at the last 18 months. Who has a win and the most sx podiums of the riders up for the pick in the last 18 months?
Who was the 2011 USA Cycling National Champion? Who was the fastest USA rider on the London replica track?
SHARRAH
He deserved the pick!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.