Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shimano DXR advantages
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
rcsjr4546
So I am sure this has been posted and addresed in the past, but would like some new feed back on the following questions. My son is 14yr old x weight 120Lbs, height 5'-2".

#1 - What makes the Shimano DXR cranks so popular over the other brand 4-bolt cranks?
#2 - What advantages do the DXR's have over the DK's and new sinz elites?
#3 - What is the stiffest crank available without sacrafing total weight?
#4 - Are running the ceramic bottom bracket bearings worth the extra expense versus standard sealed?
#5 - I am currently running him on Bombshell velocity 4-bolt 170mm. He spins great and runs a 52.5 inch roll out, but we need a little more torque and a touch more gear. I assume going up to a 175mm will help with more leverage to equal more torque, but what do you sacrafice when you do this?

I beleive in you get what you pay for, so I am trying to understand the price point between DXR's and the other brand name "x's"...gotta be something that makes them so much more, and my guess is, they have advantages, just not sure what it is.
Brandon002
I had DXR's on my bike for two years and never even had to tighten a bolt. They were the most rock solid cranks I'd ever owned. That being said I've used Crupi Rhythms and Profiles with the outboard bearings and there is absolutely no difference in the way they feel compared to one another. The profiles do have to be tightened occasionally though and the Rhythms I didn't run for longer then a few races because I got a smokin deal on DXR's.
Bikemonkeys
Your kid might not see/feel a difference between those cranks. The Sinz and Saints look a lot alike and don't have the flex cut in the backside of them.

Profiles with the outboard bearings and gun barrel bottombracket I've found to be a great crank. And their cheaper.
Brandon002
QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 14 2012, 10:59 AM) *
Profiles with the outboard bearings and gun barrel bottombracket I've found to be a great crank. And their cheaper.

Not by much when you factor in purchasing a spider separately. I honestly wish I never switched from DXR's to profiles.
Bmx Prof
I have had the Crupi, DXR, Profile set ups. So my thoughts are based only on my experience with those cranks.

The DXR's are truly the stiffest. I ran the Crupi cranks for 2 weeks then gave them away and bought another set of DXR's. I flexed the crupi's I do not flex the DXR's. I'm 6' and weigh 175 lbs. I think the crupi's are better than the traditional Profile crank set up... but not as good as the outboard bearing, gun barrel set up. I run a hawk bottom bracket on both bikes as well. I'd rank them in this order:

1. DXR
2. Profile Outboard
3. Crupi

The Sinz elite look exactly like the first generation DXR. I am not sure if there is a difference or not. If there isn't, then I would recommend them above all for the value.

I have heard really good things about both the DK and the Haro Cliq cranks, but have also heard that they are not as stiff as the DXR. Almost everyone that I speak with said that they prefer the DXR... but might be running something else because their sponsored by one of the others. That speaks volumes to me.
Chase266
I have rode all the cranks listed in here and yes dxr cranks are by far the stiffest. Plus the new ones are nice and light. I haven't tried ceramic bb's yet so idk on that.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (Chase266 @ Jun 14 2012, 01:46 PM) *
I have rode all the cranks listed in here and yes dxr cranks are by far the stiffest. Plus the new ones are nice and light. I haven't tried ceramic bb's yet so idk on that.

I used the Endro Ceramic bearings and they were smooth and spun fast with the DXRs. I did not have any issue with them, they are still in use 3 or 4 years on.
firedog550
I personally run the DXR, but I am still waiting on the release of the new Profile cranks. I looked at them in person and they look great and look like they will be very stiff!
d0ubledown
haven't run dxr's...but i run saints. cheaper and they come in black. just make sure it's the 68/73 spindle width. couple it with a hawk bb...and you're set.
Brandon002
QUOTE (firedog550 @ Jun 14 2012, 03:21 PM) *
I personally run the DXR, but I am still waiting on the release of the new Profile cranks. I looked at them in person and they look great and look like they will be very stiff!

Powers is taking pre-orders... 399.95 though and you can only get black arms with your choice of color for BB and Spider. Sorry, 400 for profile cranks is nuts.
philnz
Have been running DXR's for 2 years, with Zero issues. I check the bolts sometimes, but they never need tightening! Amazing crank. I definetly woulddnt be putting him on 175's until he is at least 5' 6". You will get better torqe, but he will need to spin his legs faster and in larger circles, which might be hard at is height. Of course, leg length is more important than height, he might have 32" legs for all i know biggrin.gif
FNSRACING
Went from profile 180mm to saints 175mm , saints are stiff and feel so much better .....
ANT DOG 3:16
Went from profiles to Crupi cranks. Cant lie for racing, I plan on using the Crupis, for my future trail bike I will use profiles
timt
What's the best option for running dxr's in an American bb? If I use an adaptor will the chainline be correct?

Thanks in advance
psheridan
I have never had to tighten my Profile cranks now after 3 months in a new bike. I do regularly go over the entire bike for lose parts like we all should regardless of brand.
ANT DOG 3:16
What's the best option for running dxr's in an American bb? If I use an adaptor will the chainline be correct?

I would think so.
baker0127
DXR's all the way as far as I am concerned. Quality, simplicity, etc.....worth every penny, in my opionion. JB
Antsnz
I have run truavativ, XT's and crupi's and now DXR's stiffest by far
I also run a F1 ceramic BB and love it had no issues when people ride my bike they definitly comment about how easy it is to spin the cranks.
Great upgrade for sure.
tommydone
QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Jun 14 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Not by much when you factor in purchasing a spider separately. I honestly wish I never switched from DXR's to profiles.

profiles=$140
outboard bearing=$60
spline drive sprocket =$85
for a total of $285

DXR's =$449
chainwheel =$40

for a total of $489 a differance of $205 , thats a big differance . I hated my DXR's
SAF
Unless you are racing as a super fast X or Pro, no crank is going to make any real difference as far as performance. Get what you think looks coolest, because that's what most of us do anyway.
B3 R4D
I love my Rythm pro's.
cwstnsko
Being a fairly heavy guy, I automatically went for 3 piece chromoly cranks when I came back to BMX. I ran several brands including regular profiles and they all felt very similar and effective to me.

I came across a great deal on the 2011 Sinz Elites when the 2012 graphics came out. When I put them on the bike, I could immediately feel the difference in a very positive way. I openly endorse them as a high value alternative to DXRs.

Since then I have discovered that since I run 175 cranks, I can pick up lightly used Saints for far less that the cost of the Sinz Elites. In my opinion, used Saints are the high-value ticket for short legged guys that can't spin 180s smile.gif

I have not ridden the Crupis, but a local rider that uses them reports that the flex that was present in the early versions was reduced when they changed the cutout on the backside to add the stiffening rib in the center of the pocket on the back.
JConn
Haven't tried DXR or Saint but from what I have tried, I prefer the DK Flash then Profile over all other cranks I have used.
thebondtrader55
We run the DXR's with a Chris King BB. Ultra smooth, easy to work on, and of course very stiff.

There are tons of great setups out there but this setup is epic! There are good deals out there used now so don't let the cost stop ya.

Don't know about the ceramic bearings - would like to try them though!
Sniper
QUOTE (rcsjr4546 @ Jun 14 2012, 07:29 AM) *
So I am sure this has been posted and addresed in the past, but would like some new feed back on the following questions. My son is 14yr old x weight 120Lbs, height 5'-2".

#1 - What makes the Shimano DXR cranks so popular over the other brand 4-bolt cranks?
#2 - What advantages do the DXR's have over the DK's and new sinz elites?
#3 - What is the stiffest crank available without sacrafing total weight?
#4 - Are running the ceramic bottom bracket bearings worth the extra expense versus standard sealed?
#5 - I am currently running him on Bombshell velocity 4-bolt 170mm. He spins great and runs a 52.5 inch roll out, but we need a little more torque and a touch more gear. I assume going up to a 175mm will help with more leverage to equal more torque, but what do you sacrafice when you do this?

I beleive in you get what you pay for, so I am trying to understand the price point between DXR's and the other brand name "x's"...gotta be something that makes them so much more, and my guess is, they have advantages, just not sure what it is.

Simply put; there's a reason you see so many manufacturers attempting to "copycat" the dxr's.
justride
I have run profiles and tried dxrs but now I run cliq weaponz. Honestly between the cliq and dxrs I find very little difference in stiffness. The cliq bottom bracket is superior in smoothness to the stock shimano one in my opinion. Maybe dxrs are better but for the price I will take cliq cranks.
RodneyR
Sniper, simply put ... Money. no need to break new ground, just copy what sells. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.