Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shimano DXR cranks
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
azaussie
I just picked up a used set of Shimano DXR cranks and need a BB. I would like to eventually get a hawk or king but for right now I would like to stay cheap and pick up one of the generic shimano mountain bike BB's. With the DXR cranks having a shorter spindle than the typical shimano mountian bike cranks I'm wondering if the inner sleeve of a mountina bike BB will be too long to work with the DXR cranks on a bmx frame. I see the CK has a nifty o-ring on their BB inner sleeve to effectively change the length of the sleeve but I don't see that on the typical shimano BB.

Will the standard lenght BB sleeve that comes with say a shimano XT BB work with a BMX frame and DXR cranks?
Brandon002
It will work fine, the DXR bottom bracket even says "mountain" on the side of it. Both the DXR's and External BB mountain cranks are for a 68/73mm bottom bracket shell.

The sleeve is also completely useless. You don't have to install it.
turdfurguson
you can also cut if need be the case, its only plastic
Bmx Prof
^^^^ what they said!

And, I think it is worth throwing down on the better bottom bracket. For some reason, that shimano BB is junk. I run Hawk BB's on my bikes, but there are other less expensive options that spin better than the shimano.
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (Bmx Prof @ Jun 7 2012, 12:13 PM) *
^^^^ what they said!

And, I think it is worth throwing down on the better bottom bracket. For some reason, that shimano BB is junk. I run Hawk BB's on my bikes, but there are other less expensive options that spin better than the shimano.

Might have to do with the fill rate of the grease. Mine spins like a top.
Stromania
I think Nashbar has bottom brackets for $30
azaussie
Thanks guys.
Bmx Prof
QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 7 2012, 05:25 PM) *
Might have to do with the fill rate of the grease. Mine spins like a top.

That very well could be the case. I put them on stock when I purchased 'em. I have a pair on both bikes. The cranks are hands down the best change I have made. I noticed a difference immediately.

I was pretty disappointed in the BB, but I did not take it apart to check the grease. I couldn't get mine to make more than 3 rotations. That is why I swtiched.
Kevin Harlow
QUOTE (Bmx Prof @ Jun 7 2012, 05:13 PM) *
^^^^ what they said!

Can't go wrong with the Hawk BB. good3.gif

Kevin
thebondtrader55
A Chris King BB came with our DX's when we bought them from an old friend.

There's probably something out there better but it's hard to see how! Smooth and resistance free doesn't begin to describe this thing.

Pretty cool for something that we got by accident. Don't know if I would have ever paid the extra scratch for it but I'm impressed.

Good Luck
Ponch
I have the crupi BB and it spins way better than the stock shimano. I think Dans has them for 59 or so. Plus I had a 15% percent coupon.
thebondtrader55
QUOTE (Ponch @ Jun 7 2012, 07:53 PM) *
I have the crupi BB and it spins way better than the stock shimano. I think Dans has them for 59 or so. Plus I had a 15% percent coupon.

P, that's a sweet deal!
bystickel
Buy a Shimano ROAD BB. Already set up with the right sleeve for a 68mm shell.

cornfed
QUOTE (bystickel @ Jun 8 2012, 10:20 PM) *
Buy a Shimano ROAD BB. Already set up with the right sleeve for a 68mm shell.

They are not interchangeable unless you have the ability to fab some spacers to go between the crank arm and bearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.