Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who needs to have an impressive trials race to be the coaches selection"
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Bikemonkeys
Who needs to have an impressive trials race to be the coaches selection?
nickdawghaters
Everyone banking on Connor for the win, IMO I think if nic is anywhere close he has a heavy case. Donny with a worlds main what if he were to win the time trial and take a second in the main? Gonna be interesting....
Bikemonkeys
Mike or dR should realy be a coaches pick. They've each got expeirance that no one else in the top 8 have.
g-mo
The pick needs to go to whomever is medal capable in today's racing environment.
sxebmx
I realllly need to book my ticket to trials.
thebondtrader55
I've got to agree with G-MO on this one - whoever does the best inside the proper framework right now should represent us. It wouldn't be right to do it any other way.

But for Heavens sake, get the alternate on site for the games!

Thanks
Bikemonkeys
QUOTE (thebondtrader55 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:34 PM) *
I've got to agree with G-MO on this one - whoever does the best inside the proper framework right now should represent us. It wouldn't be right to do it any other way.

But for Heavens sake, get the alternate on site for the games!

Thanks

If you're only as good as your last race, dR.
O-G
I'll be pulling for my ex teammate Josh, but honestly, he and 5 others will have to win to make it to the Olympics. Let's face it, Conner's going regardless. And Nic is going if Conner wins. (barring injuries of course)

Bob
shortdog
QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Jun 1 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Mike or dR should realy be a coaches pick. They've each got expeirance that no one else in the top 8 have.

I would've agreed with you 3 years ago but seriously, when was the last time Mike made a sx main, or a reg natl main for that matter??
nickdawghaters
I think Nic Long has the on paper proven results to be in any main at any given race. If I were a betting man id say as long as does decent (makes the main) at the trials he snags the coaches pick assuming he doesnt win the whole enchilada. But crazy to see either way it shakes out what if Corben scores a 2nd to a Nic 3rd? Nuts. I really need to see the replica track footage from the test event that might reveal some tips on who is fast there.
HA Y N
I gotta agree with Nick. If Connor wins and Long is in the final 4-man main, I think Nic Long gets the nod. But really, even if Nic Long isn't in the final 4-man main, he has a strong chance of getting the pick. So many possibilities with the trials. If anybody BUT Connor wins the trials, the coaches pick is easy. They are all good friends, so it's tough for me to pick.

-Leasure
HRPdesigns
Purely my opinion but:

I think Connor could consider sitting this one out and bank on the "selection pick", because if he does not win this, how in the world could the USAC leave the TT world champion off of Team USA. So it seems to be a no brainer that Conman is on the team, so why risk the injury for a spot that is basically his already. Obviously Connor is a racer and I am sure he would want to race this race, it is what they do after all, but friendships be damned in this race. Imagine how cut throat it will be in the race for the one and only spot to be awarded. This is not just an ordinary race, it is an all star race where only the winner gets the prize, second does not mean a thing. you win, your in, you lose and you go home with nothing except three laps on a track. What was it Tony Stewart said once, he would wreck his mother to win at indy (something like that) I am pretty sure these 8 elite men would do just about the same to grab that spot on the Olympic team.

Of course you never know what plays into a selection pick, so the only guarantee is to win the trials race, then there is no doubt that you are on the team.

In our sport I can't think of any other single race that can completely change your life and financial opportunities, than the Olympic race. I am sure that Maris, Mike, and Donny can speak to that better than I, but I am sure they have benefited greatly from that 08' race in Bejing.

I can't wait to go watch this race, should be amazingly hard racing.
HA Y N
If Connor did sit this one out and the selection committee didn't pick him..................they would have to go into hiding.....for at least 4 years....

-Leasure
lumpy
I would think Conman is a shoe in.. Either he wins or he get the coaches pick.. Nic has had some good showings as of late..

I would love to see Mike get in for a second trip to the games, but I would think anything less than a win has him watching on TV. The USA talent pool is to deep to send someone like him or dR just based on past experience.

I have the ok from the wife to take the day off of work and the boss gave me a tentative yes.. I think it is time to make that day trip happen.. It will be an awesome race..

Brian
tazbmx
I think its Sharrah. He proved his speed is back at the Worlds and hes the only American outside of Connor to win a SX race outside the US in the last two years.
ScottyE
Maybe a dumb question but why don't they do the coaches pick prior to the time trails race? It seems to be a given who is going to get that spot anyway. Then allow the TT plus the main results to be combined with the previous standings of the season, to determine who gets the final spot.

It's kinda going to wash out that anyway right...just indirectly. I think.

If it is a dumb question just ignore it.....I typically don't speak because I agree across the board with G-MO. It's like he types for me and he and I are right about everything.
TonyHoffman
I'd say Connor is going to catch the flu for the trials race.. Opening the door for tyler farao to race.. Let the other guys duke it out for the spot and make the coaches pick a no brainer..

At least that's what the USA plan looks like under a microscope.

"In the event of illness, injury or any unforeseen incident the USA cycling selection comittee" yada yada

Connor shouldn't race if USA is trying to win a gold medal IMO.. Why let our highest gold medal contender risk injury in the race... Create a alternate rider.. Connor "Gets sick" have him sit out, let the others race, and were in the clear. No harm, no foul.

Coaches pick for the rest of the crew would probably be better off solved with a coin flip if connor races and wins.
g-mo
QUOTE (TonyHoffman @ Jun 9 2012, 01:46 AM) *
I'd say Connor is going to catch the flu for the trials race.. Opening the door for tyler farao to race.. Let the other guys duke it out for the spot and make the coaches pick a no brainer..

At least that's what the USA plan looks like under a microscope.

"In the event of illness, injury or any unforeseen incident the USA cycling selection comittee" yada yada

Connor shouldn't race if USA is trying to win a gold medal IMO.. Why let our highest gold medal contender risk injury in the race... Create a alternate rider.. Connor "Gets sick" have him sit out, let the others race, and were in the clear. No harm, no foul.

Coaches pick for the rest of the crew would probably be better off solved with a coin flip if connor races and wins.

I have to disagree. As the old boxing adage goes, "Never let it go to the judges."
sanjosebmx
On the surface, it makes sense for Conner to sit it out and take the coaches pick..he'd be the odds on favorite.. but I'd rather see him win the Trials, his last 2 races have not been stellar... he needs to build up the momentum again..

thebondtrader55
QUOTE (g-mo @ Jun 9 2012, 10:23 AM) *
I have to disagree. As the old boxing adage goes, "Never let it go to the judges."

Manny P just found that out last night, didn't he?
g-mo
Prime example.
nickdawghaters
Im going against the grain here. Connor does not win the trials, yeah I said it haha. 1 week away!
sanjosebmx
QUOTE (nickdawghaters @ Jun 10 2012, 10:03 AM) *
Im going against the grain here. Connor does not win the trials, yeah I said it haha. 1 week away!

If he doesn't.. that will make the coaches pick a little easier.

Practice down there this week must be pretty intense..

g-mo
QUOTE (sanjosebmx @ Jun 10 2012, 08:14 PM) *
Practice down there this week must be pretty intense..

Not really.
MikeCarruth
QUOTE (ScottyE @ Jun 9 2012, 12:48 AM) *
Maybe a dumb question but why don't they do the coaches pick prior to the time trails race? It seems to be a given who is going to get that spot anyway. Then allow the TT plus the main results to be combined with the previous standings of the season, to determine who gets the final spot.

It's kinda going to wash out that anyway right...just indirectly. I think.

If it is a dumb question just ignore it.....I typically don't speak because I agree across the board with G-MO. It's like he types for me and he and I are right about everything.

It isn't a dumb question at all. But, what I have heard is that the selection process goes in order, by the rules.

First, the "automatic selection," based on USA Cycling Power Rankings points (David Herman);

Then the Olympic Trials race winner;

And finally, the Selection Committee Nominee (AKA "coach's pick").

The manner in which this happens is consistent with the plan filed by USA Cycling with the UCI/IOC. And it strikes me as the kind of thing that does not allow for a lot of "freestyling." To break with the official order, even if technically permitted (and I don't think it is), would give rise to all kinds of question marks and potential for protest and/or negative media.

The process will play out, of its own accord, and the USA will have an incredibly-strong Olympic Team by the end of it.

The trials race will be an amazing day of highs and lows...there's no doubt. Love it for that fact, pick your favorite, and follow @bmxnow on Twitter for the as-they-happen updates (if y'all will allow the shameless plug).

Best,

M
bmxer029
"Love it for that fact, pick your favorite, and follow @bmxnow on Twitter for the as-they-happen updates (if y'all will allow the shameless plug)."

Not sure the site owner will like the plug, he is pretty tough on this kind of stuff.
FaithBMX
I really don't think there is any "registration" of the individual country's qualification criteria with the IOC.
The politics that are going down in Italy and Ecuador to name two is proof that there was no definitive "procedure" set in place.
MikeCarruth
Maybe it was for USOC purposes then, because that long-ass document that had all the therefores and wherefores in it seemed more than just an internal USAC document.

It's on "Team USA" letterhead, which led me to believe it was the USOC filing it to the IOC as part of a comprehensive Team USA plan.

https://www.usacycling.org/forms/selection/...tion_SIGNED.PDF
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.