Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20" conversion on a Proline Micro?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
RedMist
My 5 year old son had his first race on Sunday. He won the second qualifier and took 2nd in the main, so he did pretty well. I noticed he was working harder than the kids on 20" wheels ( he is on 18's).
My question is: Has anyone done a 20" conversion on a Redline Micro and what do I need to do it?
Thanks for any help.
ggodwin
QUOTE (RedMist @ May 30 2012, 08:29 AM) *
My 5 year old son had his first race on Sunday. He won the second qualifier and took 2nd in the main, so he did pretty well. I noticed he was working harder than the kids on 20" wheels ( he is on 18's).
My question is: Has anyone done a 20" conversion on a Redline Micro and what do I need to do it?
Thanks for any help.

So is he on an 18" Micro Mini and you are just wanting to add the brake mount extentions? Does he have 18" or 20" forks?
jj
Redmist, I don't believe there's enough clearance on the fork bridge or in the rear triangle to get a 20x1-1/8" wheel in there.
d0ubledown
it's been done. need 20" forks (obviously) and either pauls brakes or post adapters. I'd also go 1" tires vs 1 1/8". seems like only the redlines can accomodate this as my daughters haro micro doesn't have enough dropout to stuff a 451 rim.
Stromania
I've done this. The rear triangle accepts a 20" wheel.
superjeer
Maybe the results you're looking for can be achieved through a gearing change?
cammon
I did this with my middle son's 2009 Redline Flight. I used the brake extensions, but I switched sides and turned them up instead of down. It worked well for my boy on his way to NBL national #1. I noticed a big increase in his speed once we went to 20" wheels. We also ran a 1" tire. Hope this helps.
ChrisAustin
Just did my 4 yearolds 2012 flight micro last week... put some carbon forks on off a jr and did a 1" MK tire in rear. Have to get gearing right to have it fit good... she loved it, already standing and pedalling alot more... here a pic from race this weekend

More pics of build...

svtfmook
QUOTE (superjeer @ May 30 2012, 01:54 PM) *
Maybe the results you're looking for can be achieved through a gearing change?

i would suggest this first. at 5 y/o, gearing is going to plat a bigger factor than 1" of tire. my 5y/o runs 35-15 with 140's, he chops all over the yard. i haven't changed it yet because he hasn't been able to get the courage to roll a gate yet.
RedMist
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping the front wheel was going to clear the stock forks. Guess not.
If I do this conversion, what would be a good wheel width to go with? I would like to keep the wheels when he moves up a frame size.
Thanks again for the help.
d0ubledown
only mini 1 1/8 wheels would fit, but you can keep em up till they're about 9 years old or so depending on size. my 7 year old is still on 1" tires...but he's a lil 7 year old. my 9G is still on mini wheels 1/8 tires. your boys size should determine whether he's just ready to move up to a mini instead. with the right setup, you can build em pretty small...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.