Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mel Stoutsenberger Replica
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
Reilley1
You guys might be familiar with Mr Mel Stoutsenberger. Great racer, Rick's Bike Shop alumni and amazing photographer.

Mel was using a modified girls Schwinn back in 74. (Here's an original picture he took around that time)

A little while ago I started this bike. It took awhile to finish but recently I finally found the "correct" Atom hub and 80 gauge drilled Araya rim. Here's is the finished product. (Sorta)

Schwinn Frame (Modified by WFO)
Redline Fork.
Schwinn Headset, crank,seat post and bottom bracket
Schwinn grips, bars, stem Lucky 7 sprocket
Union Pedals
Generic sissy bar.
Simi Motomag
Araya 2.125 rim
Union Pedals
Asahi Spokes
Atom front hub.
Cheng Shin Tires
Unstouse seat by Mel

I must add that this is not a "tribute" bike as Mel is not that type of person, it is simply a bike for my friend.
TONE
That is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

My God, that is a sweeeeeet build. I'm not a a 70's guy but holy moly, me-ohh-my.........this bike is amazing.

That photo in the shop area is really cool. Nice job brutha.
Evan
Off the hook! That is absolutely a wayback-machine build -- very, very cool. Thanks for doing the history of this sport proud.
The Red Baron
In case anyone here has any interest in early 70's BMX I have something to add to Ricks post.

The reason Mel rode a girls bike (at this time) was because the tracks were so gnarly and he rode so hard that he broke frames. When he couldn't find a replacement in a boys style, he modified a girls frame.

This picture is from a jumping contest at my home track (Western Sports Arama) on Memorial Weekend in 1975.

Monster-Robot
Great project done perfectly!

That original photo in the shop looks so contemporary. Great shop.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.