Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where'd the pads go?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
jeffkaplan
Similar to my last post, what happened to frame, bar, and gooseneck pads? When I raced you were not allowed on the track with pads. Now no one rides with them.
tommydone
QUOTE (jeffkaplan @ May 6 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Similar to my last post, what happened to frame, bar, and gooseneck pads? When I raced you were not allowed on the track with pads. Now no one rides with them.

no longer required for whatever reason
jeffkaplan
QUOTE (jeffkaplan @ May 6 2012, 08:45 PM) *

By the way, I meant you weren't allowed on the track without pads back when I raced
BMX78
pads were required up to around 2007 or so.

they started becoming "unfashionable" in the early 2000s. Pros would show up for practices without pads. The older expert riders started taking that cue and would start doing the same, then it trickled down to the younger riders, etc.

enforcement of the pad rule became an unwinnable battle, fashion prevailed (as it always does, damn you fashion!), and the pad rule was dropped by the late 2000s.
svtfmook
i still rock them. i value my twig and berries. all my kids, even my strider, have them.
turdfurguson
QUOTE (tommydone @ May 6 2012, 09:19 PM) *
no longer required for whatever reason
I think you need to realize that with todays "Sue Happy" society, mandating pads as a riders means of protection and then someone getting injured kinda leaves the sanctioning body out on a liability limb. Much the way if anyones noticed the "Bike Inspection" has fallen by the wayside, again to possibly avoid lawsuits/liability?....Not sure if any of this is their reasons for mandating but i would think it has come into play or thoughts.
broke L345
in the late nineties the pads were so small it became ridiculous anyway so the next step was nothing.
Brian B
I have a newer Floval and I just can't bring myself to ride it without the pads on it. I just think a bmx bike looks better with them.

bmxmom
the top tube pad that came on my 05 cruiser was teeny tiny. didn't see much point in it but it was technically a pad so my bike was race legal.
CoastalBmx81
The pads were more of a protection device when you slipped your pedals. In modern BMX with the use of clips it makes the need for the pads almost non-existent.
CurbDestroyer
It's kinda like going breakless, but with pads...or is it without pads?...anyway I find it hard to ride BMX without pads. I mean I can't count the times, for whatever reason my knee(s) have found the edges of my stem. I have a nice Lizard skin the wraps around the stem, but them I'm old school. Breaks and pads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.