Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collegiate National Champs BMX
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
mannequinforce

Awesome picture by USABMX.

You can ride BMX in college, get paid for it and also go to the national championships. Wow, who would have thought that would happen, ever. I am so stoked for the younger generations of kids, who might now instead of thinking about the slim chance to turn pro; keep riding in college and get an education so that you will have a better plan for life in the real world.
FaithBMX
so very rad
Is there a class at Chula today?
Is that where the photos are from?
Star n Bars jerseys up for grabs?
mannequinforce
copied from ABA's facebook.

At todays USA Cycling National Champs; it was the debut of the new Collegiate class. Among the college contenders are University New Mexico, Virginia Tech, CSU San Marcos, Olympic College, Grand Canyon University and a huge contingent from what is perhaps the largest Cycling school in the country--the Blue Raiders of Lindsay-Wilson.
This is the beginning of a GREAT thing; where schools with active cycling programs will begin recruiting top BMX riders and offer up college scholarships
RedMist
That's awesome. Great for the kids and for the sport in general.
ANT DOG 3:16
QUOTE (RedMist @ Mar 31 2012, 08:59 PM) *
That's awesome. Great for the kids and for the sport in general.

Any. Age limit on this class
tommydone
QUOTE (ANT DOG 3:16 @ Apr 1 2012, 07:24 AM) *
Any. Age limit on this class

not if it conforms to other sports , if the NCAA is the governing body , college sports have no age limit,qualifications are set by eligable years in college.
ihailfromohio
No age limit or years you can compete. Its a club sport and is run by usac, not ncaa. Only requirement is 12 credit hours at the school (full time)
EinTN
Want to congratulate Factory Madera/ Lindsey-Wilson rider Madison Pitts on her second place finish! Maddie gave Dom a good run.
chitownbmx
Does anyone know if the school has to be a 4 year university? Or can it be a Junior College?
FaithBMX
QUOTE (ihailfromohio @ Apr 1 2012, 12:57 PM) *
No age limit or years you can compete. Its a club sport and is run by usac, not ncaa. Only requirement is 12 credit hours at the school (full time)

This makes sense. I had been wanting to ask the question, but didn't want to potentially open a can of worms.
I was concerned that Danny C's pro status (among others) and being paid as a pro racer would interfere with this, but if it is not NCAA then it is all good.
ANT DOG 3:16
So this means I could enter if I wanted to? (I know I have a snowballs chance in hell) but I am a college student. Might inspire some more people to enter the class if they knew they could
MikeCarruth
Yes. If you are a full-time student, you could enter. If a 14-year old Med Student wants to ride, he can ride too.
DieselDAD
QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Apr 1 2012, 09:21 PM) *
Yes. If you are a full-time student, you could enter. If a 14-year old Med Student wants to ride, he can ride too.

Sure, he or she can. They can also get first hand trauma credit as well. Any 14 y/o med students out there ready to bang with Danny C?
tomg
QUOTE (chitownbmx @ Apr 1 2012, 01:34 PM) *
Does anyone know if the school has to be a 4 year university? Or can it be a Junior College?

I glanced over the stuff from USA Cycling and I can't see anywhere where it states that the school has to be a four year college or university.

The link below has all the information for starting a collegiate cycling club.

http://www.usacycling.org/collegiate/
jw662
Now this is exciting news and so wonderful to see happening. SO exciting to think what it will be in the next 5-10 years? Thank you to all those who are a part of getting this going!!!
snickadams
QUOTE (tommydone @ Apr 1 2012, 04:34 AM) *
not if it conforms to other sports , if the NCAA is the governing body , college sports have no age limit,qualifications are set by eligable years in college.

The NCAA is not the governing body. USA Cycling is and cycling is not a recognized NCAA or NAIA sport. That being said, it is still awesome.
Stileman
Did Klatman race the collgiate race?

Lindsey Wilson has a huge head start on everybody. 4 of the top 8 for guys and 4 of the top 6 for the girls. Other shcools have some catching up to do. See what happens with Marian next year.
g-mo
QUOTE (Stileman @ Apr 2 2012, 01:58 PM) *
Did Klatman race the collgiate race?

Lindsey Wilson has a huge head start on everybody. 4 of the top 8 for guys and 4 of the top 6 for the girls. Other shcools have some catching up to do. See what happens with Marian next year.

Yes, Klatman was in there....

Don't recall what happened to him. Will have to check the video.

ctownbmxer
He didn't make it out of motos...
aznpersuasion
Does anyone have a video??
g-mo
I do. Will get it uploaded as soon as time allows. Working on some other edits first.
hbr
It was a nasty moto Klatman didn't get out of.......Caluag, Logan Collins, Bryce Hocking and that Hines kid are the 4 that moved out.

I think the opportunity to earn a college scholarship in BMX legitimizes the sport almost as much as the Olympics. Scholarships are definitely a trickle down from racing being the games.
Thumperpilot
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Apr 1 2012, 07:37 PM) *
This makes sense. I had been wanting to ask the question, but didn't want to potentially open a can of worms.
I was concerned that Danny C's pro status (among others) and being paid as a pro racer would interfere with this, but if it is not NCAA then it is all good.

The UCI considers the ELITE classes as AM class. Believe it or not the UCI considers Lance Armstrong to be an Amateur.
FaithBMX
so who in this world is a Professional cyclist?
Does the UCI consider anybody to be pro?
mannequinforce
Mark Cavendish
CoastalBmx81
QUOTE (mannequinforce @ Apr 6 2012, 09:03 AM) *
Mark Cavendish

And that's only for the last two miles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.