Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Things Chula Vista SX
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
reedhamilton
Time Trials start on Friday, March 30. Extreme.com will have online live coverage of the TT SuperFinals @ 5:00 PM (PDT).

Race coverage on extreme.com begins @ 3:30 PM (PDT) on Saturday, March 31.

Here's a preview video for this season's action - http://extreme.com/bmx-supercross/1020386/...supercross-2012

Be sure and click the quality up to 720 for the sharpest images of the preview. It might take a little while to download but it is worth it.

Who is going to break out of the pack and challenge the Big Four (Strombergs, Daudet, Willers, Willoughby)?

Can the U.S. ladies have another strong showing? Will Shanaze show up?

What's everybody think?
Antsnz
yep can't wait for this, going to be real interesting to see what games people play or if they just bring it
Very impressed with how Willoughby is going very consistant and silky smooth
Great way to start to at Chula, fast track which a lot of the riders are very use to so we should see some hot racing
Good luck to all competing - Go the flying Kiwis!
bmxcommentator
The UK guys flew out today. Liam Phillips, Tre Whyte and Kyle Evans. Be interesting to see how they fair!
DutchDevl
My eyes are on the Dutch Olympic hopefuls. I am sure Jelle is looking forward to get a rematch for his crash during the finals last season and Raymon looks ready to go for a second podium on Chula in a few months time. He seems very strong out of his wrist injury. Also hoping to see how Ivo has done getting his form back after his complicated femur injury as well as Robert de Wilde probably hoping to start his season with a finals like he did last year.

Also really hoping to see the young girl Laura Smulders make the push to truly compete with the big girls. She had some very good races in the winter and I hope she can push that form into the SX season.

And that is just the Dutch team! There is also the always strong French, Americans and Australians, Willers defending the Kiwi honor and Liam Phillips' return to the SX format outside Manchester, time to truly show his form there. The Latvians have shown strong all season as well, and then there are the outsiders from Denmark, Norway, Canada, Columbia, Germany and many more.

A very strong field, much wider than in 2008, is preparing for London.. and it promises to be an awesome season.
sanjosebmx
777 and SW91 are super fast right now.. Hoping for at least one American for the podium.

Hoping for a good strong showing from our Women.. Alise and Brooke FTW!
g-mo
The real question is will anyone be able to beat Connor this time? Hmmm....
klakke
QUOTE (g-mo @ Mar 28 2012, 08:21 AM) *
The real question is will anyone be able to beat Connor this time? Hmmm....

I dont think Connor will win this one. Marc, Sam, Stromy and Joris are all stronger than Connor IMO
FaithBMX
QUOTE (klakke @ Mar 29 2012, 01:24 PM) *
I dont think Connor will win this one. Marc, Sam, Stromy and Joris are all stronger than Connor IMO

Weren't they "stronger" than him last year?
An inside source tells me that Connor is going faster than ever.
Thumperpilot
All I know is I'll be watching it "LIVE" from the infield!!
thebondtrader55
I'm rooting for Connor as always.

The hard part about betting on SX races is that there are just so darn many intangibles that may and probably will happen! If the flow is interrupted for any reason the race is over even for the best of the riders.

Can't wait to watch it this summer!

All the Best
DutchDevl
Though Connor is of course the man-to-beat, problem is: There is a lot of pressure on someone's shoulders to win Back-to-back Supercross races. He is the one everyone is aiming for though.

Personally, I think Jelle is still faster than Connor on this track if he manages to not wipe out this time around. Jelle is a strong passer, one of the strongest in the field, and his track speed is nearly unbeatable which his consistent Time Trial results over the 2011 season show. If a similar start happens than last year and he does stay on his bike, he will take the win this time for sure. He also has a luxury not many riders in the field have: He is almost 100% certain of a place in the London team already. This will give him a mental advantage over those who still need to proove themselves.

Also, you cannot put aside Raymon. His injury filled 2011 season only made him stronger and more determined and probably fitter than most riders out there. He has run less races than almost the entire field and has had a winter of focusing on raw leg-power when training through a wrist injury. He showed that raw power in Hong Kong and he will be able to stand up and win the first straight pull head against other power monsters like Maris and Sam if needed.
mannequinforce
I am glad you are psyched on the Dutch riders but we still haven't seen RVDB ride against any top tier riders on a SX track in a long time so it will be hard to gauge where he is until we see some laps or a TT that is indicative of being at the top. All that being said Jelle is a favorite and I love watching the Dutch guys ride for sure!
Mike Fields
Well we don't have to wait much longer, do we. smile.gif
FaithBMX
I was looking at the start list and noticed:
249 SIPKOI Derek CAN19860908 8 SEP 1986
Sipkoi is riding for Canada; could be interesting if Canada scores two spots.

Plus seven Russian dudes.

Still no Marino for Argentina.

34 American men.

very small group of French women; the Lecorguilles, Valentino, and Pottier

Don Daniels in there for Puerto Rico

152 Men getting cut down to 64 after the time trial; brutal!
41 Women get cut to 32 after time trials.
klakke
QUOTE (Mike Fields @ Mar 29 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Personally; one day of waiting is long when we'r talking a season opener smile.gif Its just too exciting
klakke
QUOTE (FaithBMX @ Mar 30 2012, 07:08 AM) *
152 Men getting cut down to 64 after the time trial; brutal!
41 Women get cut to 32 after time trials.

If GSX paid all the flight tickets themselves, they would let more than 64 into the race..

I think its time to let more than 64 into the actual race, when the figure 64 was chosen, there werent nearly as many people able and wanting to ride SX as today.. In 2011 some big names went out in the TT something which should not happen, unless crashing was involved
g-mo
Has anyone else posted a 33 second second lap out here besides Connor? You Euro guys are crazy sometimes. It will be interesting for sure.
klakke
QUOTE (g-mo @ Mar 30 2012, 08:45 AM) *
Has anyone else posted a 33 second second lap out here besides Connor? You Euro guys are crazy sometimes. It will be interesting for sure.

Well Quentin Caleyron has also won a few TTs, but he has never made the podium in SX. I reckon Connor is one of the top guys, especially on the Chula track, but he's not in my top 4.

And yes, itll be super interesting tomorrow
Stileman
Connor made everybody else look silly 5 months ago. As of now he is the favorite.
FaithBMX
I kind of feel bad for some of the foregin riders who travelled so far and long to get here.
The field of Americans is so deep so, just like last year, you are going to have junior riders and lesser known (yet highly skilled riders like Zula) grabbing up a handful of qualification spots away from top Elite riders (foreign and U.S. alike).

that just doesn't happen in Australia or even Europe.
Europe has high rider count, but not the depth.
Antsnz
yeah not a big fan of the 1 only time trial i sort of liked the second chance of the two
also think they could go deeper than 64 given the quality now
likewise for the olympics would love to see top 64 instead of 32 and allow more riders from the stronger countries you could then have three from a country and do a teams meddle or something for moto points only

back on track can't wait for the action
bmxer029
are the time trial results posted anywhere?
sanjosebmx
WOW that was about the most incredible lap I've ever seen... CON MAN
AG
Hey Maris, thanks for keeping my chair warm - now GET OUT OF IT

Connor Fields

GO USA
FaithBMX
QUOTE (bmxer029 @ Mar 30 2012, 11:58 PM) *
are the time trial results posted anywhere?

http://www.bmx-results.com/index.php
tommy2x4
Thought Maris killed it, then Fields just absolutely leaves a blister on the track!
scmcgovern
WOW.. some pretty big names in past SX events not able to qualify for tomorrow race!!!

68 15 SCHERPEN Martijn NED 36.510
143 105 NHLAPO Sifiso RSA 1:11.902

See that DOM just squeezed into top 32 for woman's side
32 103 DANIELS Dominique PUR 42.904 Q
Deanna
QUOTE (Mike Fields @ Mar 29 2012, 04:08 PM) *

And the kid looked great as always. One down, one more tomorrow.

Congrts at Arielle. Amazing run. Excited to watch tomorrow's.

mojospops
my computer cut out right as Conner was getting ready. What was his time?
JohnHall
QUOTE (mojospops @ Mar 30 2012, 09:28 PM) *

AG
QUOTE (mojospops @ Mar 31 2012, 01:28 AM) *

Time doesn't do his lap justice
He doesn't get ANY air off the jumps, he soaks them up perfectly.
I was screaming and clapping at my computer screen.
mojospops
I hope it shows up on youtube soon. I really enjoy watching the scrub jumping style he lays down
FaithBMX
I think motos should look like this (Americans in bold and nation's top three underlined) *verified at bmx-results:
1.Fields, Willers, Harris, Brethauer, Cook, Rogers, Nagasako, Jaspers
2. Long, Daudet, van der Biezen, dR, Prokop, Garcia, Hamon, Therkildsen
3. Nyhaug, Faoro, Kirkham, Anthony, Stein, Baier, de Wilde, Rezende
4. Pelluard, van Gendt, Pickard, Moo Caille, van der Putten, Pope, Callan, Koehler
5. Strombergs, Duchene, van Gorkom, Caleyron, Graf, Bradford, Ricccardi, Evans
6. Phillips, Herman, Jiminez, KY, KB, de Vecchi, Treimanis, Diaz
7. Sharrah, Day, Oquendo, Schlang, Castro, Dean, Blanc, Campo
8. Willoughby, Nobles, Meyers, Veide, TB, Zula, Ramirez, Goodwin

20 American Men
two of the top three German riders made it through along with the top two Italians, but only one Ecuadorian.
We were just talking about this Nagasako kid on another thread; looks like he is pretty legit.
The old dogs; KB, de Vecchi, de Wilde, dR, Day, Castro and Prokop still got something in the tank.
65th-74th place were less than 1/100ths of a second from qualifying; that would make me sick.

1. Buchanan, Reynolds, Horakova, Hladikova, Hereigjers, A. Lecorguille, Smulders, Daniels
2. Pottier, Crain, George, Labounkova, Hernandez, Henderson, Quinhala, Calisto
3. Martin, Mcleod, Geving, L. Lecorguille, Stacy, Rimsaite, Stevux, van Benthem
4. Carr, Post, Pajon, Stancil, O'Keefe, Hayashi, Valentino, Chaves

10 American Women
What happened to Sarah Walker?
Did Dom jump the first jump (I was out to dinner and missed it).
Deanna
I was wondering about Dom too.
FaithBMX
QUOTE (Deanna @ Mar 31 2012, 02:59 AM) *
I was wondering about Dom too.

heard she kind brake checked the first jump; landed in the middle and then got going.
I hope the best for her tomorrow.
Stileman
Good seeing Hiyashi in the mix. Is she the oldest women racer there?
klakke
QUOTE (Stileman @ Mar 30 2012, 09:51 PM) *

She is from 86, so no
g-mo
QUOTE (klakke @ Mar 30 2012, 10:27 AM) *
Well Quentin Caleyron has also won a few TTs, but he has never made the podium in SX. I reckon Connor is one of the top guys, especially on the Chula track, but he's not in my top 4.

And yes, itll be super interesting tomorrow

I tried to tell you guys that Connor was going to handle the field (no pun intended).... If he gets out front tomorrow, I think we all know what's going to happen....
Jason Chang
QUOTE (Stileman @ Mar 30 2012, 05:51 PM) *

Arielle is 6 months older. Which proves age is not a factor with those two.
klakke
QUOTE (g-mo @ Mar 30 2012, 10:52 PM) *
I tried to tell you guys that Connor was going to handle the field (no pun intended).... If he gets out front tomorrow, I think we all know what's going to happen....

Yeah I know, but I never doubted that he could win the TT. I was only talking about the actual race. And agree with you; if Connor gets out in front he is gone
ihailfromohio
QUOTE (mojospops @ Mar 30 2012, 09:28 PM) *

heres his lap. Go to the yellow chula-vista usa link on the left, then "click here for chula videos" then you'll see the link to his lap, it won't let me link directly to it connor fields tt
reedhamilton
Connor's nose-down style of getting backside is amazing to watch. That must have taken hundreds of laps of practice to perfect. It almost looks like he's going to hit the face of the jump with his front wheel, but he sucks it up just in time. So cool to watch.

Stileman
QUOTE (g-mo @ Mar 30 2012, 11:52 PM) *

If he gets out front it is over. But heck he can come from behind also. His semi last year went from 5th to first in a straight and a half. All he has to do is not get balled up and he will win. He could seriously pass 3-4 people in the main is he needs to. It's not jsut his first straight that he needs to win.

I pick connor for the win.
mannequinforce
QUOTE (reedhamilton @ Mar 31 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Connor's nose-down style of getting backside is amazing to watch. That must have taken hundreds of laps of practice to perfect. It almost looks like he's going to hit the face of the jump with his front wheel, but he sucks it up just in time. So cool to watch.

He rides like a maniac. It's crazy the way that front tire just barely skims the lip of the backside. Him and sharrah ride nose down a lot.
Stileman
I just realized that Connor was a whole second faster than Corben in the superfinal. ANd Corben ended up third. How are you a second faster than pretty much everybody else in the field. That is unbelievable. To be that far ahead at this level of competition.
klakke

Moto 2 and 6 are nuts..
bmxmom156
what time does coverage start here in the east for today?( sat) on extreme.com
OLDSMARBMX
It said 630 EST or 330 PST but in last nights show Pete said something about 530 for E coasters but he might have had a drink????

John
bmxmom156
thanks i just tried to watch yesterdays edit and its so choppy i cant understand what the announcer is saying.. is there a way to make it clearer or is it something on my end? i was using google chrome. thanks
OLDSMARBMX
Here is a link and it say 20:00 8PM so ?????? http://beta.extreme.com/live

I will check with someone there in a few.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.