Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New PROFILE chain ring! seen this yet?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
cultfreak
just saw it in their site

http://www.profileracing.com/news_full.php?id=1457

pretty rad looking. and nickel plated to boot
dnichols
Nice good3.gif
The Riddler Al-F
Sweet! I like the nickel plating!! Polished just doesn't hold up for long when talking about chainrings/chainwheels.
cultfreak
QUOTE (The Riddler Al-F @ Mar 20 2012, 09:40 PM) *
Sweet! I like the nickel plating!! Polished just doesn't hold up for long when talking about chainrings/chainwheels.

how do you think nickel will hold up on a part like that?
Brandon002
Looks like a whole lotta JW to me. smile.gif
Jason F.
Nice, nickle tarnishes though, will need polishing.
edwards
Very nice, might even get one.
The Riddler Al-F
QUOTE (cultfreak @ Mar 20 2012, 11:06 PM) *

Its a double edged sword really. True nickel tarnishes but it cleans up nicely...Aliby here; I found nickel finishes on firearms easy to care for and held up great in all weather. However, I haven't tried a greasy dirty chainring yet, so who knows? I believe if you're okay with a tarnish but cleaned look you'll be okay. Super shiney...not so much....mainly because of the grime...tarnish alone would be okay with the right chems.
winonflats
they look nice but are they worth the 60 bucks
Bob D
Pretty.....expensive!!!
protour77
QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Mar 20 2012, 11:08 PM) *
Looks like a whole lotta JW to me. smile.gif

That was my first reaction too.
PedalWrench
Sweet looks, but $59.99? I would have to think that one over a bit.
Finch
Love it! Looks rad for sure good2.gif

Finch
Rodogg
I like that it has two different offsets for fine tuning chain alignment.

needs a black nickel option IMO
jipster43
A Supercross got together with a JW and popped out a nickel plated gem.

JP smile.gif
mxer746
reminds me of this one.
I dig it.
LDZDAD
QUOTE (Rodogg @ Mar 21 2012, 12:30 PM) *
I like that it has two different offsets for fine tuning chain alignment.

needs a black nickel option IMO

Someone explain the offset. I can't picture what they are talking about.
Brandon002
QUOTE (LDZDAD @ Mar 21 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Someone explain the offset. I can't picture what they are talking about.

The teeth are off from center on the chainring... so if you install it one way the teeth are closer to the frame, the other way they are further. Kind of like spacing a rear cog in or out.
justride
QUOTE (cultfreak @ Mar 20 2012, 11:06 PM) *

It holds up on The slide rails of a handgun just fine and those are tighter fitting and get much hotter.
workman
50% more than Rennen or Snap. Good luck.
justride
QUOTE (workman @ Mar 21 2012, 07:05 PM) *
50% more than Rennen or Snap. Good luck.

Although...rennen and snap rings cannot be inverted to change your chain line.
irodetoday

if that alone isn't enough......
workman
QUOTE (justride @ Mar 21 2012, 07:08 PM) *

You are absolutely correct..
psheridan
Quality costs $$$. Come on, you guys will spend $450 on cranks and $1,000 on wheels, but a trick, light, and adjustable sprocked isn't worth $59.99? What ever. LOL
workman
Brandon002
QUOTE (justride @ Mar 21 2012, 06:08 PM) *

Cog spacers? Yes, those work just as well as flipping an offset chainring.
doug118
QUOTE (psheridan @ Mar 21 2012, 07:05 PM) *
Quality costs $$$.

Then why aren't Rennen chain rings $60? No one has higher QC then Rennen
Brandon002
QUOTE (doug118 @ Mar 21 2012, 10:29 PM) *

And you can buy a rennen offset cog for your hubs that does the same thing as this chainring for half the price.
The Riddler Al-F
QUOTE (doug118 @ Mar 21 2012, 11:29 PM) *

I agree that Rennen has an extremely high standard for QC. I would also state that I have never had an issue with Snap's QC process either. Also, Snap has outstanding customer service, so if you do have issues, there's a great chance it will be resolved.

What I really really love about this thread is that people are posting well made points to argue in favor of the quality of not just one, but three American made products. Neither one of them are passing off junk, they earned their respect because of "Real" quality of these chainrings, How cool is that?
doug118
I have personally NEVER had good luck with Profile sprockets. I was at a National a few years ago and went through 4 chainrings with J&R due to none of them being straight. But at the same time my hubs are PERFECT! which some people have problems with the shimming and whatnot. Profile does have it's bad batches. I highly doubt they check every single chainring like George and Shaun do over at Rennen
The Riddler Al-F
QUOTE (doug118 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:27 AM) *
I have personally NEVER had good luck with Profile sprockets. I was at a National a few years ago and went through 4 chainrings with J&R due to none of them being straight. But at the same time my hubs are PERFECT! which some people have problems with the shimming and whatnot. Profile does have it's bad batches. I highly doubt they check every single chainring like George and Shaun do over at Rennen

I have to agree that Profile tends to have more complaints than the others do. I had more problems with their chainwheels (Not chainrings) because they were never quite a tight fit and ran "off center". I preferred Snap chainwheels because they ran a very tight tolerance by comparison. Currently I run both Snap and Rennen, no complaints.

But like you said, my profile hubs are perfect! cool.gif
Rodogg
I like that Profile is manufacturing things like the offset chain wheel for better chain alignment. Now if only they would apply that to their stand alone sprocket boss on their cranks. tongue.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.