Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have retro's lost their appeal?
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
TuRBo Todd Britton
With SOOOO many retro's out there, I was just curious what the general consensus is regarding them? Is the market officially flooded now?
The 26incher
I do think the ship has sailed...
Jason F.
Now that I am into the race scene so much more than the vintage scene to me they always seem so boardwalk.
tobeone
Got bikes in my shed waiting 2 b built but just built my son a new race bike and put mine on hold don't think the ship has sailed as in my eyes think the retro builds I have seen on this site have been pretty rad just think more will come when the money starts flowing again wink.gif wink.gif
Capt. Nemo
I never get tired of retro.

The best of both worlds, in my opinion.

My pet peeve is the marketing of them as limited edition collectables in fancy packaging and over priced bling.

Reminds of comic books in the early 90's and other recent pop culture collectables. All show and no go.
pwh4130
I think the market is really slowing down. When I worked for a main retro company, I said the retro market is there BUT not forever. First of all, there are a limited number of guys who want them in the already small BMX market. Secondly, putting out many units for several years will flood the market. Thirdly, many guys around 40 will be losing disposable income soon as their kids get cars/insurance or go off to college. The market is there but I think it has been buying for a few years and the retro bmx dollar is tough to get these days.

Retro bikes like the skyway 24 are very cool and will sell. If they try to keep making them in big numbers and for the next five years straight, they will end up blowing them out. Retro bikes will sell if you make the right product, find a niche and don't flood the market. As retro bikes are higher dollar, keep the quality high and keep them special.

That's my two cents.
1993tnt
ive got a mongoose replica im looking to get rid of.. #122
brklynfbm
I think the production quality on the GHP, Kappa and Skyway frames is awesome. I sat on the fence about buying a 24" Skyway frameset, but I decided to finally finish my 82 Floval Flyer instead. That will be the last bmx bike I'll built for myself. I like to ride my bmx bikes, but I'd rather race XC mountain bikes. I'd say that the retro scene is not done. I'd like to see more quailty 26" models. Whatever comes next, has big shoes to fill though.

DarrenC
I have had people show more interest now with L + S Creation (Oakland Boss) framesets as now they got the current technology and are still fabricated here in the USA like 30 plus years ago.
Mr. Smith
Never had any appeal to me.

I agree with Darren ...

The companies who kept going from bitd are cutting edge.

Honestly I think the word retro has such a bad connotation ... did I spell that right ?
There is a air of chinsey or cheesey to me with the word "retro".
It's either old school mid school or new school.

The mtb's are a whole nother topic or "bicycle" out of lack of better words.

Different application ...

Rob

jipster43
I still love 'em. Always conjuring up new ones. I'm hoping to get my hands on an L&S frame & fork for my next racer. Thanks Darren!

JP smile.gif
mr coasterbrake
i like them as long as they are good quality and have modern technology so i can actually ride them. SE does a good job, for example.

things like the mongoose i'm not into...same tech and geometry as BITD is not rideable, to me, today. Or the Haros - which were too low-end for most of the "retro" market (and over priced for what you actually got).
spistols
I loved retro...loved...but agree that too many, too much is killing. I also agree on the age bracket these appeal to losing interest due to other pressing financial matters. Hard to keep toys around, when they are just toys.

Now on the other hand, I am getting more into mountain biking, for the fun of the sport and to keep my health in check. At this point in our lives, we are not getting any healthier and if mountain biking keeps everything flowing, so be it. With this, I say the Trek Sawyer has the best of both worlds. Total complete retro look yet a very functiional and capable bike to today's standards in mountain biking!
race_inc
I have lost interest in it, not sure why. Moving on to different things, building old school riders and such. I used to be heavy in Kappa stuff but it just sits in the shop and collects dust, so It's all gonna go.
Capt. Nemo
QUOTE (spistols @ Mar 25 2012, 12:25 PM) *
I loved retro...loved...but agree that too many, too much is killing. I also agree on the age bracket these appeal to losing interest due to other pressing financial matters. Hard to keep toys around, when they are just toys.

So retro's are just "toys"? Nobody told me... laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

azaussie
QUOTE (Capt. Nemo @ Mar 26 2012, 10:06 AM) *
So retro's are just "toys"? Nobody told me... laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Those are all great shots Capt.

I am still diggin the retro's. I curently own 3 built retros - a PK Ripper, OM FLyer and a Knight Goose. I'm bummed that I sold my built 2007 20" quadangle so I recenly bought a 2007 quad frame to build eventually.
cheez
They are still BMX bikes just ride um.

I wish I had bought a Knight Goose race frame when I had a chance

If anyone has one and would rather have a 21.5 TT 38 special let me know
monkeybiscuits
KAPPA's still have appeal

The mass produced retro's don't really do it though...

Kurt.
Maybe it's just the economy over there? Oz came through the GFC pretty strong and without a recession and retros still seem pretty popular downunder
mxmug
QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Mar 19 2012, 06:41 PM) *
i like them as long as they are good quality and have modern technology so i can actually ride them. SE does a good job, for example.

things like the mongoose i'm not into...same tech and geometry as BITD is not rideable, to me, today. Or the Haros - which were too low-end for most of the "retro" market (and over priced for what you actually got).

The Mongoose Kos is not at all the same geometry as bitd.
sonikk71
I think the problem isnt retro so much per se as it is the quality. A lot of the retro bikes have had crappy parts and are overpriced. I mean look at the Haro freestyler. I would have crawled naked over broken glass for a proper official Haro retro. Instead we got some not even chromoly tank with crappy parts at a price that I could buy a sweet newschool bike at. I get that due to the limited run it will cost more but it had better be quality! Heck do it right and price be darned. There are some that are doing it right. The new Skyway cruiser is a great example. As general rule the SE retros are decent but even they were a little over priced considering the quality parts they have. At least they were making retro themed parts so I can understand the increased price to an extent.
GFR Industries
I think the market in general is limited to the old school crowd more than anything and there is only so many of us to buy bikes. I also think some companies saw a niche market to extract $$ out of by offering bikes of lesser quality / "limited edition" and adding some old school flair to sell it which is why it has the caused the negative vibe to retro. I do like a lot of the retro parts being made by Knight industries, Retro bmx seats, profile retro cranks etc. I use them on current race bikes.

The limited edition bikes are just plain useless especially when you make them in connection with companies I could care less about ... Crooks & Castle or whatever that companies name is. good3.gif
The R
I don't think retros have lost their appeal, I just think the selection is very limited. You have SE doing their thing, and they do a great job. They are the standard bearer for retro bikes. But not too many companies offer retro bikes on a regular basis. Haro came out with one, what, four years ago? GT has the 26-inch performer, but will it be sold next year? I don't know -- these companies are out to make a buck, and if the market is limited, then I guess you can't blame them too much. And then when the retros do come out, they come with sub-par parts or high-tensile steel frames (instead of aluminum or chromoly). We desperately need another company like Kappa, just to throw some variety in with SE.
bystickel
I'd be happy to build retro frames as a business, but I don't think the public cares about them. With as many old-schoolers as we have racing, and modern bikes being so cookie-cutter, you'd think retro would be more popular.

Heck, Porkchop sponsored a contest for a Retro bike calendar, and out of the 12 months, only 1 retro bike was chosen.

It seems like the vintage purists have branded retro as less than cool. I'd like to think that people are above the peer pressure, but I dunno.
Rodogg
I don't like retro! Hate it a little even. Especially if it mirrors anything 80's.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love old and mid school stuff. A weathered rusted old BMX or a refurbished one still has a certain appeal to me that separates them from retros.

I'm very big on purpose built so the idea of building something new to mimic something old is just as cheesy as a kit car to me.

I think retro just happens to work right now because all the dudes from that era are hitting their mid-life crisis and reliving their childhood through their kids and their brand new assembly line mass produced Philippine made PK ripper.

Whatever, I don't like it but its cool others can get a good (not great) quality ride that mimics (not real) piece of their childhood.

I like My S&M. Its retro to me only without keeping the same named frame for decades. 25 years this year, still made in so-cal by the same owner probably on some of the same machines they bought from ELF years ago.

That beats retro to me any day. I'm getting the real deal from the same dude that has been innovating BMX for decades. I'm steal getting a REAL S&M. Not something from another country that has no history in the sport, selling a product with a name from years ago they bought the rights to.

Ha ha

You want real retro, buy something from S&M or Standard, or another company that didn't sell out and made every effort to keep it real and as original as the day the opened.

Thats buying a brand new piece of history. Not a foreign copy of a piece of history.

I guess I don't even see retro bikes these days as real retro. I think they should be called nock-offs.
GFR Industries
QUOTE (bystickel @ Apr 9 2012, 06:41 PM) *
It seems like the vintage purists have branded retro as less than cool. I'd like to think that people are above the peer pressure, but I dunno.

I'm sick of the investors er I mean "collectors" whining about the re-pops / retro's ruining their collections value er I mean the "history" of the sport. I do enjoy looking at the classics and respect the people that preserve them as long as it's for the love and not the profit or the "look at me, I own a .... so I'm somebody" crowd. rolleyes.gif

I like the looks of the retro's and when they are up graded to modern geometry it's the best of both worlds. You can keep your rusty old bikes & your carpet queens. I like to ride my bikes without the guilt so it's retro for me. good3.gif
Len WEED
QUOTE (GFR Industries @ Apr 10 2012, 12:17 PM) *
I like the looks of the retro's and when they are up graded to modern geometry it's the best of both worlds. You can keep your rusty old bikes & your carpet queens. I like to ride my bikes without the guilt so it's retro for me. good3.gif

Well said, I totally agree drinks.gif

tobeone
QUOTE (GFR Industries @ Apr 10 2012, 01:17 PM) *
I'm sick of the investors er I mean "collectors" whining about the re-pops / retro's ruining their collections value er I mean the "history" of the sport. I do enjoy looking at the classics and respect the people that preserve them as long as it's for the love and not the profit or the "look at me, I own a .... so I'm somebody" crowd. rolleyes.gif

Same as that swapped some old school parts for a nomorea frame a few years back and will get that built up one day and hit the track on it same as the original pk's and floval I have 2 own bikes that I always wanted and never ride them would b a crime to me try to always try and get a retro look using old new or mid just never seem 2 get them finished
mr coasterbrake
QUOTE (mxmug @ Mar 30 2012, 11:17 PM) *
The Mongoose Kos is not at all the same geometry as bitd.

i was referring to the "motomag" style they did a few years back.

the KOS retro is pretty cool...i'd get that.
COASTY
I own and ride a 2007 Quad with tuffs and flights. I also have quite a few oldschool bikes that all get ridden. I'm not a collector. I'm an enthusiast. Big difference.
bmcg5712
I don't think that the market is dead for retros at all. In the past 6 months I have sold all of my Kappaa for almost $10,000.00 - the last one this past week. That fetch over $3,000.00 alone. As the years go on - those pieces are going to become harder to find and when do - expect to pay big.

I am totally excited about the Skyway project - paid and ready to go. Also - I am looking forward to their 20" f/f that is coming out by the end of the year.

Last - you have to give a hand to SE for diving head first into the retro market. No other company dare to do what SE did. I noticed on their line up for 2012 that they toned down the availability on the retros - which is good. Mongoose's attempt at the re - release of the moto mag was weak, but I feel they got it right with the Kos Kruiser. GT's lineup sucks. Nobody else has done anything else.
[/left][left]
cornishlovemuscle
QUOTE (bmcg5712 @ Apr 24 2012, 07:22 AM) *
I don't think that the market is dead for retros at all. In the past 6 months I have sold all of my Kappaa for almost $10,000.00 - the last one this past week. That fetch over $3,000.00 alone. As the years go on - those pieces are going to become harder to find and when do - expect to pay big.

I am totally excited about the Skyway project - paid and ready to go. Also - I am looking forward to their 20" f/f that is coming out by the end of the year.

Last - you have to give a hand to SE for diving head first into the retro market. No other company dare to do what SE did. I noticed on their line up for 2012 that they toned down the availability on the retros - which is good. Mongoose's attempt at the re - release of the moto mag was weak, but I feel they got it right with the Kos Kruiser. GT's lineup sucks. Nobody else has done anything else.
[/left][left]

I'd agree wholeheartedly, I recently bought an SE Quad and people are genuinely impressed with it. The skyway project is awesome! I cant wait to see what else is in the pipeline. Shame that a new retro trickstar hasnt materialised. Maybe I should make one rolleyes.gif
Roc
Never!
Badmojo666
No way,I just bought a quadangle,I love it,and judging by the reactions I get,so does everyone else!
Mr. Smith
Retro's never were cool so there was no appeal to have been lost.

Junk is junk ....

Whether cars, bikes, electrical equipment or tools or clothing .... I could go on.

Quality has dropped severly over time ....

End of discussion. wink.gif
tdunster
Bikes are a lot more affordable now than they were bitd.

For less than half of the average weekly wage you can get a pretty ok retro bmx these days with three peice cranks, sealed bearings...and so on.

Back in the day a 1981 PK Ripper would probably have swallowed the average wage - and that would have been a bike with one-peice cranks and nasty old single walled rims.

Personally, I like both old-school, mid-school, new-school, and retros.

They each are completely different experiences to own and certainly different to ride.
ANT DOG 3:16
Personally, I like both old-school, mid-school, new-school, and retros.

Same here. I see alot of guys getting back into racing using the retro bikes. To each his own
bbohlmann
Retros are all I have left. They look great and are big enough to actually ride. I had even gotten down to a small number of retros when this Skyway/Hutch things happened - that killed the small number.............

The Azusas, Kappas and Supercross built items still bring a good penny because they were done in smaller numbers and with perceived higher quality. I think there is room for some more retros that are not mass produced.

- Bob
HurricaneHenry
Retros are alive and well at my house. I believe I may have created a new class of retro, starting with a retro frame and sprinkling with a few OG vintage parts. Just finished the Skyway last night and have had the Johnny Chopper JMC 26" for awhile now.

Skyway 24" w/ OG Profile Cranks and Grab On MXIII's.

JMC 26" w/ OG Araya hoops w/ Comp III Yellow Labels, MX1000's, DB sprocket, and Bullseye hubs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.