Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something i bought yesterday.
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
rrp
I have been on a hunt,lately.... I have been wanting a old school ProLine,pretty much what i once had. So i finally came across this 1981 Proline,honestly i wanted a 1980,but this will sure do. Im going to sandblast it and have new white powdercoat applied,the balck is just ugly and can't bare to look @ it. I just wanted to share a happy moment and a trip down memory lane,let the build begin. smile.gif
Jason F.
Nice survivor, too bad about blasting it.....oh well.
rrp
QUOTE (Jason F. @ Mar 7 2012, 11:18 PM) *
Nice survivor, too bad about blasting it.....oh well.

The owner i bought it from,said he had the frame and fork powdercoated black,and applied new decals.I never asked him what original color it was. I sure im wrong here,but i don't remember a black Proline running around in 81,only reason why i wanna have it changed. Can you offer some color trivia?
Jason F.
QUOTE (rrp @ Mar 7 2012, 08:27 PM) *
The owner i bought it from,said he had the frame and fork powdercoated black,and applied new decals.I never asked him what original color it was. I sure im wrong here,but i don't remember a black Proline running around in 81,only reason why i wanna have it changed. Can you offer some color trivia?

oh good! then blast away!!! not sure I think red white and black and chrome.....
COASTY
Yeah I don't think Prolines came in black so fix her up proper. Beautiful frame too. It's the only thing left in the hobby that I want.
Dr.Frankenripper
Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but the fact they didn't come in black and it's already there and it looks pretty dope as is - I'd actually leave it for a bit..... But since repop decals aren't hard to get and there relatively cheap, I'd get the right era ones and but them on the black frame set for a while - you could always change it again later.
cheez
Blast it, paint it red, (white was the most comon color for them IMO) and get the correct decals for it

I'd love to have one of those, ( I enveyed Tom Catchings BITD) I just have the forks in 4" head tube
osrlracer
rrp, that is one SWEET score right there !!!!!!! white,red or chrome are the only colors I've seen. can't wait to see the build progress !!!! I always thought a black one with some custom gold leaf decals would be crazy cool !?!?!?!?
rrp
QUOTE (osrlracer @ Mar 8 2012, 05:22 PM) *
rrp, that is one SWEET score right there !!!!!!! white,red or chrome are the only colors I've seen. can't wait to see the build progress !!!! I always thought a black one with some custom gold leaf decals would be crazy cool !?!?!?!?

Thank you very much,osrlracer.That sounds rather gnarley,but i have to match everything up. Im still in shock what i paid for the frame and fork,guessing the black had a lot to do with the price.
rrp
QUOTE (Dr.Frankenripper @ Mar 8 2012, 08:11 AM) *
Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but the fact they didn't come in black and it's already there and it looks pretty dope as is - I'd actually leave it for a bit..... But since repop decals aren't hard to get and there relatively cheap, I'd get the right era ones and but them on the black frame set for a while - you could always change it again later.

I was looking up the years for decals. He had put the right year decals on there,1981. I put 1980 decals on my white 2011ProLine Pro xl,and people luv the whole concept. I had a 1980 white Proline so i know the differece in decals,really luv the 1980 sticker kit.. I ordered a set of red ano envy rims with the new DK megawatt hubs,blue with white spokes and light blue nipples. So the frame must be chrome,white or red-to make it look trick,the colors must flow. Thanks for the input,really means alot.
rrp
QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 8 2012, 10:13 AM) *
Blast it, paint it red, (white was the most comon color for them IMO) and get the correct decals for it

I'd love to have one of those, ( I enveyed Tom Catchings BITD) I just have the forks in 4" head tube

Yes,white was the most common,for sure. Since we race under the lights,mostly. The white pops real nice when it is dark,although, the rims i bought would be rather sick on a red frame and fork,maybe ill take youe advise. I wish J&R would call to say to pick up the rims,ready for a rolling frame.
Mr. Smith
QUOTE (Dr.Frankenripper @ Mar 8 2012, 02:11 PM) *

^ ^ ^

That's exactly what I would do !

It looks like an og survivor.

Once I read the black looks bad and I clicked onto the pics I'm thinking what the heck are you talking about. But that's what nice about the hobby ... You can powder it, chrome it paint it pink (hypothetically speaking) and it still would be cool.

But that black looks bad ! It looks tough in black shall I say.

I would leave it go and build it as is.

Just my $.02

Rob
rrp
QUOTE (Mr. Smith @ Mar 8 2012, 09:38 PM) *
^ ^ ^

That's exactly what I would do !

It looks like an og survivor.

Once I read the black looks bad and I clicked onto the pics I'm thinking what the heck are you talking about. But that's what nice about the hobby ... You can powder it, chrome it paint it pink (hypothetically speaking) and it still would be cool.

But that black looks bad ! It looks tough in black shall I say.

I would leave it go and build it as is.

Just my $.02

Rob

So everyone likes the black,i guess im shocked! I really thought you all would like to see it back to original.Im just so use to seeing the original colors. I was wrong on the decals,he had put 1981RedLine Carrera decals on,not ProLine,but when i look up 1981 ProLine the same decals appear"the ones he used". I have a white set here,after buying the 1980 sticker frame/fork kit for my 2011. So,since this being said,maybe i'll ponder on the color. Im going to remove the wrong decals when she arrives. I will then put on the 1980 set,and post some pics. I will then take everyone's input and feedback,if the black gets mad raves,well,black it shall stay.

Thank you all very much on your posts.
rrp.
Cruzdogg
Black is back ... be diff, You can always change the color since its not a survivor
cheez
I have seen maybe 3 red ones, one in person, I still say red with the first gen PL decals.

If you are gonna leave a non-stock color you might as well go with gold leaf graphics too. Go big or go back to an OG color combo IMO

Still in shock cause you got a smokin deal or because you've never had that big a charge on your credit card before? biggrin.gif
PHXOS
Chrome it
Pauly
Day-Glo pink it!
cheez
QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 8 2012, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE (PHXOS @ Mar 9 2012, 11:34 AM) *
Chrome it

Were your ears burning? Yours was White laugh.gif
rrp
QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 9 2012, 08:59 AM) *
I have seen maybe 3 red ones, one in person, I still say red with the first gen PL decals.

If you are gonna leave a non-stock color you might as well go with gold leaf graphics too. Go big or go back to an OG color combo IMO

Still in shock cause you got a smokin deal or because you've never had that big a charge on your credit card before? biggrin.gif

Ya know..,i was thinking red myself,after re-thinking the color combination.I already have a white 2011,so to have both colors,makes me like the idea for red. I was actually thinking about candy apple red,not to many coats of tinted clear,just enough to try and match the original red. And yes,white 1st gen decals are mandatory. Funny about the big charge on the card smile.gif I was getting ready to buy a 1994 Robinson Pro from England. The shipping was $179 and the frame and fork was $145. Just the fact of being a 81 Proline ,i seen them go for alot more than two bills,im just under..Thanks for the validating the color choice. drinks.gif

jipster43
My vote is for red, but I'd use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/powder. Less chance of the welds getting compromised by an unfamiliar blaster and it's quick and easy.

JP smile.gif
Glen
Good looking frame as it is.
Mr Coaster brake will know if black was an og color scheme.
If the current paint looks goo I say leave it alone.

A rare appearance from Dr Frankeripper.

long time ... no hear....
rrp
QUOTE (jipster43 @ Mar 9 2012, 11:04 PM) *
My vote is for red, but I'd use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/powder. Less chance of the welds getting compromised by an unfamiliar blaster and it's quick and easy.

JP smile.gif

You must have been reading my mind. I was wondering the same thing. I do plan on racing this thing. I surely do not want to have this frame and fork blasted twice. I'll ask the seller the process he took in preparation before he had the thing powdercoated black. If it was blasted before,i thank you for the advise. I'll go the paint stripper route. To be honest,im already worried the tabs on the forks are gonna snap off and lose the front wheel unsure.gif,lol,that would suck!

Thanks again,really appriciate it. drinks.gif
RRP
cheez
If you have it powder coated try to find a guy who uses walnut shells, plastic media, baking soda or glass bead. Oxide based abrasives can screw metal up real quick and powder can hide screw ups pretty well. Being 81 I'm wondering if they weren't still painted then. I still use paint for parts I know didn't come powder coated to remain accurate. DAMN less than 2 bills for that you friggin stole it! If you go with powder there are plenty of candy reds out there getting a match to the RL candy shouldn't be hard at all
Mr. Smith
Come on guys ...

I thought you were experienced vbmx guys ! laugh.gif

If anything "glass bead" the frame. wink.gif

Walnut shells and the like are for plastics.
I even use old glass bead on Skyways and it works perfect.

Just rough enough to grab a better surface than paint stripper ....

Unless you are going to "properly" hand wet sand the bare metal and then wash down with lacquer thinner. Man I've been doing auto stuff since 1990.

BACK to the topic. If you do strip it and redo the finish you need to know the og color or forget it !

Just my $.02 and I'm only another jackbag behind a key board but I've been around cars and bikes since 1976 and I was born in 1971. I was rebuilding 1/4 midget engines in 1985 as a freshmen in high school.

Rob

rrp
QUOTE (Mr. Smith @ Mar 13 2012, 07:18 PM) *
If you do strip it and redo the finish you need to know the og color or forget it !

I understand this,and would luv to match it up. Red Barron was saying something about the forks,not sure about the frame.They don't have enough of a flat spot to scan for a code. As i was looking for a color code,i came across a two year old thread,asking the same,on this forum.. The op never mentioned the code.,bummer. I wish someone knew it,Cheers.

RRP.

Rob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.