Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alloy spoke nipples
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
cheez
I really don't remember anyone using these in the 70's when did they become popular/common? Would they be considered correct on a mid/late 70's light weight mini build?

I cruised through the BMXA mini build article but it wasn't mentioned that OZ used them for that build

Man it would be cool to find that bike as a survivor somewhere
cornfed
QUOTE (cheez @ Mar 1 2012, 09:20 AM) *
I really don't remember anyone using these in the 70's when did they become popular/common? Would they be considered correct on a mid/late 70's light weight mini build?

I cruised through the BMXA mini build article but it wasn't mentioned that OZ used them for that build

Man it would be cool to find that bike as a survivor somewhere

I think Asahi nipples would be correct for the late 70's. I had them (still have them on my wheels) in '82. They were longer than most are now, like 16 - 17mm and were measured in gauge (14g, 15g etc). They were made in different anodized colors too. Period- correct Asahi nipples might be hard to find. I think they went out of business, or merged w/ Wheelsmith or something, and I think Sun / Ringle/ wheelsmith / Hayes brakes (Asahi?) are all the same Co now. Not sure...

If any aluminum nipple is period correct, it is probably these.
Jason F.
I had them on several sets in 83-85, not sure when the exact first production was.
cheez
Yeah I have seen them on 80s bikes as well but don't recall seeing them on any bikes at the track in the 70's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.