Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing an Om Flyer
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
GotRipper
Im considering an OM Flyer. I really like the bike, however Im considering giving racing a try maybe at some point. Im 6'0, and just wondering if this bike is still consider to big to race compared to say a Floval. Im most likely going to ride street/light trails for the most part.

Thanks,
Chris
cheez
Shoot man I see guys riding multi speed MTBs at the races. If you like the way it rides race it. The Cruiser class started with 26 inch cruisers anyway. If you want to have the best chance to be competitive I'd go with the Floval if your into SE, otherwise I'd go with Supercross. JMO
Cruzdogg

I'm 5'9 and race on a 26er SE jump bike with 8 speeds now that I ride mt bikes more than bmx

The gears don't matter but I am more confident on the big wheels and front shock

24's feel small to me when I ride one, started in 1981 on a Kos anyway so I've come back

Like Cheez said bunch a guys on 26 wheels, Check the 26er race thread lots of good info
GotRipper
Just an update. I did pick up the bike last night its a 2009, very clean, great price. Will post pics later.

Chris
GotRipper
QUOTE (GotRipper @ Feb 13 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Just an update. I did pick up the bike last night its a 2009, very clean, great price. Will post pics later.

Chris

Ok, I put air in the tires and made some adjustments. I have to say im very impressed with how it rides. It was strictly road riding, but i felt 14 yrs old again.
Len WEED
Race it man. I was gonna start racing my 26" Quad last year before I got injured. Like the other guys said a bunch of dudes race 26" Dirt Jumpers with front suspension. I have both style bikes and have also had a few OM's and I actually prefer the rigid SE 26ers on the track over the front suspension DJ's.
cableman
I love how my 09 om rides! Maybe ill race it one day now that im getting my 5 year old the new lil ripper. I changed a bunch of things on mine to rid the darker blue, i like a little customizing!
Where you at in NY?
GotRipper
QUOTE (cableman @ Feb 15 2012, 04:02 PM) *
I love how my 09 om rides! Maybe ill race it one day now that im getting my 5 year old the new lil ripper. I changed a bunch of things on mine to rid the darker blue, i like a little customizing!
Where you at in NY?

Cable, Im in Rockland County, next to Westchester County.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.