Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 79 PK Ripper Survivor
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Restoration Tips & Tricks
RetroRipper
I had this collecting dust in the barn for the last 15 or so years til I stumbled onto this site. I'm not a collector or rider, so I don't know what direction to take. Do I restore it first or just sell it to someone who can do something special with it? Tell me what I have, and what to do with it!

MarkMc
The parts on it don't quite look 1979. I'm gonna guess on the right rear dropout, you'll see a serial number. PK4XXXX or higher.

Probably 82 or newer.

Super cool bike, nonetheless.

tobeone
Restore it dude and enjoy it smile.gif
RetroRipper
QUOTE (MarkMc @ Jan 6 2012, 03:43 AM) *
The parts on it don't quite look 1979. I'm gonna guess on the right rear dropout, you'll see a serial number. PK4XXXX or higher.

Probably 82 or newer.

Super cool bike, nonetheless.

Thanks man, I couldn't find the serial number so it was a guess. It's a 5xxx number, so that puts it at 1982.

QUOTE (tobeone @ Jan 6 2012, 05:29 AM) *
Restore it dude and enjoy it smile.gif

I'm a complete newb- how do I start restoring it? I don't want to lower the value (assuming there is one)
tobeone
QUOTE (RetroRipper @ Jan 6 2012, 11:38 AM) *
Thanks man, I couldn't find the serial number so it was a guess. It's a 5xxx number, so that puts it at 1982.

I'm a complete newb- how do I start restoring it? I don't want to lower the value (assuming there is one)

I don't know if there is a correct way 2 answer the question as for different people there is different ways for me it was about the bikes I dreamed of as a kid and trying 2 replicate them by sourcing parts and trying 2 build a dream bike 4 others it's probably tryin 2 rebuild a bike they once owned . As a kid I always wanted a pk ripper Ive had 2 now a floval flyer and a quadrangle 4 over ten years and never finished a build .not much help I know but look at what's out there and how far u want 2go .the ripper is bmx and value is dependant on desire and they are very desirable good luck on the journey dude smile.gif
MarkMc
How to restore. There are 2 schools here.

1. The it's a survivor only once.
2. Strip, repowder and bling.

Up front, I'm a #1 type. I feel anyone can take old parts, refinish them and make a super shiny bike. Hundreds of guys have done that, and, after a while, they all look the same.

I love "refreshing" survivor bikes. Take the bike apart. Repack the bearings, clean all the surfaces. Re-assemble it, and, replace only the things that are damaged or broken. The grips for instance.

At that point, you end up with a bike that 1. has "stories" left on the surface in dings, dents, chips and scratches, and 2, that it's rideable, as it's just a nice, clean bike, without hundreds of dollars spent on NOS parts. If you scratch it once more, it's not going to cause any grief.

eBay is a great, if not sometimes expensive, source of parts. Many members here can help you locate stuff if you ask.

Have fun!

corollagts
Or..............

Put it on Ebay.
RetroRipper
QUOTE (corollagts @ Jan 7 2012, 01:20 AM) *
Or..............

Put it on Ebay.

That's the route I'm going at this point. BMX is something I never got into, so there isn't a lot of attachment. But I can appreciate how great some of these old bikes are, mine included. I'll put the link up in the proper section.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.