Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: soaking in cider, i meen vinegar
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Restoration Tips & Tricks
2old4tricks
i have the pro star and i want to clean it up a bit. another user told me that og prostar stickered frames are hard to find. if i soak , will it damage stickers or am i tooth brushing it spot by spot?
omartcruisers
Vinegar takes time but works well. You could mask off the stickers to protect them.
2old4tricks
QUOTE (omartcruisers @ Dec 7 2011, 05:04 AM) *
Vinegar takes time but works well. You could mask off the stickers to protect them.

whats time? a day , week?
omartcruisers
I guess it depends on how much rust and how thick it is but I have had some parts take 4 to 6 hours and others take days. It's pretty cool to watch the chemical reaction though, or at least I thought so. I have had some stickers go in the vinegar and come out fine but I have had other destroyed. In your case I would try to mask the are off since it's a Hutch and all. Most of the parts I have done were not as desirable.
timt
QUOTE (omartcruisers @ Dec 8 2011, 04:57 PM) *
I guess it depends on how much rust and how thick it is but I have had some parts take 4 to 6 hours and others take days. It's pretty cool to watch the chemical reaction though, or at least I thought so. I have had some stickers go in the vinegar and come out fine but I have had other destroyed. In your case I would try to mask the are off since it's a Hutch and all. Most of the parts I have done were not as desirable.

I soaked my Auburn rear triangle for a week. Stickers look the same as before I dunked it. I was hoping it would make them new again laugh.gif
omartcruisers
QUOTE (timt @ Dec 8 2011, 04:45 PM) *
I soaked my Auburn rear triangle for a week. Stickers look the same as before I dunked it. I was hoping it would make them new again laugh.gif

It would be awesome if you could buy something for a buck 76 a gallon and have it restore stickers and eat rust. I have had some stickers damaged by vinegar soaking and others not. Not exactly sure why, but being that he is dealing with a F/F that has to the best of his knowledge original stickers, I'd play it safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.