Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two old bikes
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Mid School BMX
crazyhorse477
I have two of my old bikes left from when I was young niether of them are original but all parts except tires are vintage. one is a haro group 1 rs2 it has alot of upgrade parts on it profile cranks, suzie sealed bearing hubs, uni seat, urchin pedal cages, peregrine seat post clamp, gt epoch headset, and a dk stem it is still rideable and complet. The other bike is a red line rl20a it has vector bars , odyessy gyro, and flight 401 cranks. I have a few questions I am trying to decide what i want to do with them i think they are both 1986 but not for sureat one point I stripped all the paint off the haro so it is all chrome .The redline is still painted but missing a few small brake parts,chain, seat,and the lug nutts. if i decide to sell would I be better off parting them out or selling as is? IF it would be better to part them out than taking them apart now shouldn't hurt. the main reason I am asking is I keep thinking about taking them apart to clean them up some and don't know if this is a bad idea. if I am not commited to finishing them I might just end up with a box of parts.I very much enjoy riding but have bought a modern cruiser and am happy with it I still put air in the haro and ride it some but it is in need of some TLC.I will post a few pics if I can figure out how.
Afterhours
Just what kind of "cat" is that in the picture?
Mr. Smith
QUOTE (Afterhours @ Nov 30 2011, 04:14 AM) *
Just what kind of "cat" is that in the picture?

^

What kind of comment is that ? huh.gif

The bikes man ... the bikes .... Add a comment about the bikes. laugh.gif

Like this Sir :

" They are very nice. Rebuild them and ride them. " wink.gif

Rob rolleyes.gif
crazyhorse477
The cat behind the front wheel is a Bengal the one in the hallway is a plastic Lion. thanks for the comment about the bikes. I have alot of other hobbies and I have been afraid if I take them apart I would never get around to building them back. The more I look around on here the more I think about going ahead and trying to make them nice once again.Is there any intrest in bikes like these that are not all original like most of the bikes i see on here?When I bought these new I bought some of the parts that are on them now so I never rode them with all the correct parts on them but that seams to be a big part of vintage bikes now.
Mr. Smith
Those bikes have era correct parts.
Parts no less you added BITD.
It doesn't get much better than that unless you are attempting to build a "catalogue" bike.

Many of these bikes were built from a F/F set not bought as a complete.

If I were you I would leave them completely together until you start and finish rebuilding them and then you will not lose any parts. wink.gif

Certain parts you do not want to lose.
For example the cranks ... the bolt which attaches the sprocket to the arm.
Those are factory button head bolts which are hard to find.

The closest style of bolt to those will still hit the BB cups so only a button head bolt will work properly.

Keep that Redline what ever you do.
By far it's a very nice survivor piece.
Original paint & declas on the F/F & Redline cranks. Plus Peregrine mags.

^

It doesn't get much better than that.

Rob
race_inc
Those being your bikes from BITD is pretty cool, wish I was so lucky! Me personally, I would hang onto those, clean them up and enjoy them as you did when you were a kid! Those are cool bikes!

Oh and BTW, welcome to the site and quite possibly your new sickness! tongue.gif
profile22
QUOTE (crazyhorse477 @ Nov 30 2011, 03:36 AM) *
I have two of my old bikes left from when I was young niether of them are original but all parts except tires are vintage. one is a haro group 1 rs2 it has alot of upgrade parts on it profile cranks, suzie sealed bearing hubs, uni seat, urchin pedal cages, peregrine seat post clamp, gt epoch headset, and a dk stem it is still rideable and complet. The other bike is a red line rl20a it has vector bars , odyessy gyro, and flight 401 cranks. I have a few questions I am trying to decide what i want to do with them i think they are both 1986 but not for sureat one point I stripped all the paint off the haro so it is all chrome .The redline is still painted but missing a few small brake parts,chain, seat,and the lug nutts. if i decide to sell would I be better off parting them out or selling as is? IF it would be better to part them out than taking them apart now shouldn't hurt. the main reason I am asking is I keep thinking about taking them apart to clean them up some and don't know if this is a bad idea. if I am not commited to finishing them I might just end up with a box of parts.I very much enjoy riding but have bought a modern cruiser and am happy with it I still put air in the haro and ride it some but it is in need of some TLC.I will post a few pics if I can figure out how.

If you ever want to sell (complete) the Haro to good old Europe, let me know. :-)
crazyhorse477
I officially am hooked I have both bikes apart and I am fixing them they are both shaping up very well. I have the parts for the redline looking very good the brakes and all the small parts look very good after a little cleaning and rubbing. the wheels have been the worst part but I have them looking good and very white now I can hardly wait to get it back together. the paint and decals looked way worse in person than in the picture the decals were cracked very bad and the paint under them was completly diffrent I couldn't make myself not repaint so I am waiting on th powder coating to get done than I can put it back togeter. I have bought all the parts I need and have everything waiting. tongue.gif I think that I now have the sickness!
crazyhorse477
I have been making pretty good progress think all I need for the red line is the upper gyro cable then i will be riding . It looks just like I remember it was always clean and looked like new. the haro is almost done also I never found any decals for it it was white and orange when I bought it new but I had it powdercoated I went with white and red I may try to find some plain haro decals and put on it. here are some pics of them so far. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
GBOSS
QUOTE (crazyhorse477 @ Nov 29 2011, 08:36 PM) *

Nice bikes ad YES they will clean up great drinks.gif
GBOSS
QUOTE (crazyhorse477 @ Jan 16 2012, 08:17 PM) *
I have been making pretty good progress think all I need for the red line is the upper gyro cable then i will be riding . It looks just like I remember it was always clean and looked like new. the haro is almost done also I never found any decals for it it was white and orange when I bought it new but I had it powdercoated I went with white and red I may try to find some plain haro decals and put on it. here are some pics of them so far. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Thats %100 better drinks.gif
Pauly
They look good. You bought the "official" Redline reissue decals. There are better copies of the originals out there if you know where to look. What bars are on the Redline?
crazyhorse477
the bars on the redline are vectors I think they are vc8s I put them on right after I got it. My sister found out that I was working on my old bikes and she gave me some stuff she had in her basement. ihave one picture of me on the redline my old number plate and all my old bmx trophies. i have both bikes rideable if i can stay off them long enough I will put some pictures of them completed on here. Here is the old picture of the redlineClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.