Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haro copy, early torker? ID help please
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Restoration Tips & Tricks
Superkav
**Previously posted this thread on RADBMX and anoth BMX sitebut no valid responses, so apologies if you're reading this for the 2nd time**

Hi guys

I've got a frame that I need some help to ID, it was sold to me as an early Torker/Haro and although it looks very much like a Haro Gen1 I'm 100% sure it isn't and was fairly content with it being a good copy that I could paint up and ride at the track. When I bought it I was told there was no serial and it wasn't until very recently that I even bothered to really scrutinise the frame. I found a very faint serial that I couldn't determine by eye so I took a rubbing. Even with the rubbing it was hard to make out but it appears to be T519O692. (the O is an upper case O not a zero) There is also what 'could' be half an 'M' at the front (making it MT 519 O 692) but it's so faint it could just be a scratch.

I know there are some good Haro Gen1 copies so if anybody has one that tallies up with this serial then please let me know so I can put this one to bed.

I've had a look at both the Haro Gen1 and Torker serial number guides and it 'could' be an 81 Torker but it's almost exactly a Haro Gen1 framest.

Similarities with Haro/Torker

Machined headtube
Gusset at head tube has welds at front and back with a gap in the middle
Twin top tubes with frame brace and seat gusset.
Chainstays join BB at the bottom (not higher like some copies)

I've drawn the dimensions in the pics so have a look and let me know what you think the manufacturer might be.

**EDIT**
The top tube was measured from pipe to pie rather than centre of heat tube to centre of seat tube so the proper length is 19".

agentheinz
To my untrained eye, I think that IS a Gen 1.
omartcruisers
Weren't the first Haro's made by Torker?
MarkMc
What I'm not seeing is a coaster brake tab, which I think you'd have to have.

Also, the down tube seems to be in a bit too high.

And I thought the Haro's had an "F" in the serial number. Format would be TXX NNN F, where X is the month type code, and N is numbers. So, it would be Something like TWW 123 F. Yours isn't close to that.

There is a Haro Registry, google that up, and see if you can locate those guys, that's going to be your best bet.
mr coasterbrake
the milling of the headtube is too "square" compared to a Haro.

maybe this is just how the pic looks, but the downtube looks too big a diameter(?).
omartcruisers
Could it be some sort of Torker 540? Didn't Kuwahara have a twin top tube freestyle frame? The blue looks Haro though but the freestyle Torkers came in a similar color.
Superkav
Like I said, I'm 100% sure it's not a Haro but more an early Torker (if anything) Looks very much like an Ultimax frame but I was more intrigued by the serial which if it does indeed have an M at the front, dates it as an 81 Torker.

omartcruisers
QUOTE (Superkav @ Nov 29 2011, 08:41 AM) *
Like I said, I'm 100% sure it's not a Haro but more an early Torker (if anything) Looks very much like an Ultimax frame but I was more intrigued by the serial which if it does indeed have an M at the front, dates it as an 81 Torker.

The box gussett and knurling at the dropouts are more indicative of a mid-80's frame than an early 80's frame. I really feel you have some sort of early Haro. Maybe the freestyle guys would know better? You could try posting over there if you haven't.
mdmike
it is not an 81 torker.
cheez
Some real nice welds, so it ain't junk

Didn't Red Line do some twin top tube frames with that Ford grabber blue like color?

From whats in the museum it looks like a dead ringer for Haro freestyler. The absence of a coaster brake tab could just be a factory oops
mr coasterbrake
QUOTE (cheez @ Dec 19 2011, 02:57 PM) *
The absence of a coaster brake tab could just be a factory oops

the real Haro dropout and coaster mount were just one piece.

and the right side dropout only had knurling on the "outside" , so it can't be a right welded on the left side, either.
Indy
Not a Haro although in 82 Torker did make them for him until 84. It matches Torker exactly and the serial number matches Torker format back then as well. There is a guy that does nothing but Torker research you can find if you google torker serial number. He decodes them on the website and also shows the multiple formats that were used. There is no doubt to me that is a Torker, or a fake of one, but it's not a Haro. Reason I think it's not a faked Torker is simply the welds up front, true way to tell Gen 1 Haro is by getting in there and inspecting welds and gusset as Haro serial format is much easier to duplicate vs Torkers more cryptic approach.

Just my .02 but I own both, even a Haro born before Haro forks were manufactured and as early as it is, it was still done in 82, and yes all with coaster brake mounts. I have one IDENTICAL to that, my neighbor bought it brand new at our local shop and in 1983 I got it from him so I know it's real, just wish he would have bought the forks with it that day smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.