Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wondering -- why race the Grands?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
backmarker
Was trying to think of a reason for racing the Grands this year -- can think of lots of reasons not to, like

Haven't rode since Labor Day weekend. Here in the Midwest and probably the East as well, tracks have been shutdown for well over a month. Hard to stay tuned for racing when no outdoor tracks are open. Yea, I know, there are some indoor tracks within a few hours drive but these hardly serve to keep a racer tuned for such a big race as the Grands. Makes it difficult to race and compete against others who have been outdoors racing the past few months.

The only practice day is Thanksgiving day, and it only amounts to a few laps at that. Hard to imagine spending such a holiday at a Denny's, or other equally poor substitute to thanksgiving at home.

Transfer system means I would probably end up racing only two times, being in an older cruiser class. There's a lot of money and time (drive from Indy to Tulsa at least 10 hours) for a couple of laps.

With all the motos the ABA runs through, tracks are usually lame. They have to be, to get through teh numbers.

It's held indoors in a rodeo arena, which usually means restrictions on riding bikes in the area, nasal issues from breathing the dust over teh event days, and others i can't be arsed to write on about. It's nothing like having an event of such magnitude in an open state park in beautiful park setting with little restrictions on riding around while in wait for the few motos of racing.

Of course, I'm only addressing the racing aspects. The social aspects of the event could be enough to bring one across.

-- backmarker

g-mo
This post is absolutely hilarious. The war is over bro. Please stay in Indy. We don't want you ruining our fun.......LOL.
mackdaddy
ditto on what g-mo said!
fastjimmy412
Boy those are some lame excuses. Enjoy your family picnic, we are going to the show. I am driving 17 hours and we will have a great time as always.
SirMarco
QUOTE (backmarker @ Nov 21 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Was trying to think of a reason for racing the Grands this year -- can think of lots of reasons not to, like

Haven't rode since Labor Day weekend. Here in the Midwest and probably the East as well, tracks have been shutdown for well over a month. Hard to stay tuned for racing when no outdoor tracks are open. Yea, I know, there are some indoor tracks within a few hours drive but these hardly serve to keep a racer tuned for such a big race as the Grands. Makes it difficult to race and compete against others who have been outdoors racing the past few months.
• Suck it up and get to some of these indoor track, the rest of us do. I haven't raced much at all this season but indoor season brings out people from the wood works. I have some of the best races all season at this time.

The only practice day is Thanksgiving day, and it only amounts to a few laps at that. Hard to imagine spending such a holiday at a Denny's, or other equally poor substitute to thanksgiving at home.
• You will get more then enough practice in the 2 that you are given to get you ready for the race. I can that I have never not had enough practice at Grands.

Transfer system means I would probably end up racing only two times, being in an older cruiser class. There's a lot of money and time (drive from Indy to Tulsa at least 10 hours) for a couple of laps.
• They run a 3 round system at Grands. Only race of the year like this. You will race both days.

With all the motos the ABA runs through, tracks are usually lame. They have to be, to get through teh numbers.
• Grands is always the best track of the year. It's always big and fun to ride. It's never ever a let down. You have more then one way to get through the entire track. They build it like this to make it interesting. You have your big jumps for the rampers and tech sections for your riders who excel in that. It really makes for great racing.

It's held indoors in a rodeo arena, which usually means restrictions on riding bikes in the area, nasal issues from breathing the dust over teh event days, and others i can't be arsed to write on about. It's nothing like having an event of such magnitude in an open state park in beautiful park setting with little restrictions on riding around while in wait for the few motos of racing.
• Google map the arena then check out its website. They hold dirt oval track racing for cars inside and monster trucks. It's the biggest arena I have ever raced in.

Of course, I'm only addressing the racing aspects. The social aspects of the event could be enough to bring one across.

-- backmarker
-SirMarco in RED
Elvis
QUOTE (g-mo @ Nov 21 2011, 02:58 PM) *
This post is absolutely hilarious. The war is over bro. Please stay in Indy. We don't want you ruining our fun.......LOL.

This

Also: Say, you really are a backmarker, aren't you?

Me, I'm going to be batter-dipped and deep-fried in BMX for four days right here before winter puts its move on all the good fun (and bunky, it's a three lap transfer); I'll get to see some pros duke it out; see some old friends, make some new ones, get enough gossip to provide post fodder for months to come ... I'm seeing nothing but fun.

But then I'm a positive guy.
g-mo
You really wanna get a good laugh... go read this. What happened since then? You had so much fire.....LMAO.
sxebmx
We've had a sweet Indian summer in New York. Rode trails over the weekend.
HRPdesigns
wondering -- why race the Grands?

Because it's "The Grands"! Until I went to my first one I did not really understand what that meant.

The Greatest BMX Race on Earth. Just attending the race is worth the cost of getting there, getting to race it is a bonus.
hardees86
are the grands going to be in august or ? in 2012 seeing there are no nbl grands? it would be so much nicer to drive 14 hours in aug then in nov here in wi we have 6" of snow on the ground
CowhieDesigns
Oh boy.......if you can get there you'll get the picture, but I'm sure this isn't the reason since you didn't list it.

You only have to do it once to realize why it's the Grands.

and there are lots of options for a great turkey dinner!
Elvis
Kram1
Traveling from Penn. to Calif. this year fighting for a top 10 NAG spot, and then skip Grands? Hell no!!

I may be wrong, but I don't recall any restrictions on riding in the parking lot outdoors, and if I'm recalling correctly, it looks like its going to be pretty nice in Tulsa for the whole week. Maybe there should be, but I don't recall much for riding restrictions inside either.....

There's also the double point race event in Sand Springs (a Tulsa suburb) on Wednesday if you need a little pre-Grands tune-up. We went to that last year, and met a lot of people that have been making it a part of their Grand Nationals trip for years. I was surprised it wasn't super crowded, but that might have been due to the threat of severe thunderstorms that evening.

But yeah, if you haven't been racing at all since Labor Day, going to Grands does seem pretty pointless for you. Not sure why you did that with the tracks open even way up in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota thru the end of October.
CWracer
That trip up from Brazil is probably a little long for you.

I actually agree about the track time problem. That's one thing I'm lacking in for this race and it does concern me. Racing our area indoor doesn't really count for track time as far as I'm concerned. I mean, yeah, it's better than nothing. But it's way too short and time on the track is very limited. Also, it's tight and easy to crash on, which introduces the issue of potential injury before the grands. My idea of track time is a couple of hours at least 3 times a week. I get rusty pretty quick without it.
Stileman
I know this is a joker post. Trying to stir some stuff up.

Why you would race is totally up to you. I try to think of it more as to why to "attend" the Grands.

It's one of the 2 best events of the year(I still think the worlds is a little better). So many different things to determine. Am/pro titles plus the NAG 5 challenge. There are always story lines going in on all the titles. Something unexpected. Better than watching a soap opera or fake reality shows. THis is real realty. No scripts, anything can and will happen. It's a great gathering of fellow BMXicans and chance to share stories with others. It's a great chance to see what the factories have coming up(Like Interbike for BMX). The arena is Huge and the best arena for running a BMX race(Good spectating areas, large floor, indoor manufacturors row, etc).

I could go on and on, but if you are truly a BMXican you need to Attend the Grands.
brokebmxer
I will give you the only 2 reason not to race the grands
1 you cant get the time off from work
2 You dont have the coin

If the above are true start planning for next year Every BMXer of any level should go at least once
thebondtrader55
Goodness!

We've been many, many times and often got less results than we desired but about what we really deserved.

No matter the outcome, we never had less than a great time!
BLKTHOR

Wow man, you are very lost and you need to find yourself. Go to the Grands do not race just walk around a get a feel for the race, have a good time just hanging out and meeting new people, the next thing you know you will get your BMX racing mojo back .

peace
Thumperpilot
Was looking at the track today. Was thinking of how many reason there is to race!! Some people will race, some people will watch it on GO211, and some will live in the past.

The last official ABA Grands people. Come on out and get you some!!
crash813
Heck, we go just for the Swag bags!
Thumperpilot
NICE!!! We just got done stuffing those bad boys with the goods!!

RBIGroup
All that needs to be said, ABA Grands!!! No other reason needed, this is the must attend event..... I am trying to get all worked out to were I can go, wasn't looking good, but things have changed and I am going to try to be there, with some of the best in the sport, the ABA Crew and some of the best races in the world!!!

Buntster
Bill Curtin
The Grands is not a rodeo arena. It a race held on 10,000 yards of dirt that is stored for this event several miles away. There are no horses near this stuff.

The building is almost a half million square feet (thats almost 12 acres) of polished concrete floor with 60' high ceiling, 80' above the track. We haul in enough dirt to build two outdoor tracks and there are more team pit areas than the populations of a small town in IL.

Yep, just a rodeo race... scratch_one-s_head.gif
Thumperpilot
1/4 mile long building end to end. You could race drag cars in it. Nuff siad!!
bnd
I went in 99', 00' & 02', some of the best BMX memories EVER.
If it's good enough for Steven Tyler..........yeah, THAT Steven Tyler, it's good enough for you bud.

b.
RBIGroup
The building is almost a half million square feet (thats almost 12 acres) of polished concrete floor with 60' high ceiling, 80' above the track. We haul in enough dirt to build two outdoor tracks and there are more team pit areas than the populations of a small town in IL.

If I remember correctly, the building is 1 city block long without any additional pole support.... I am willing to bet, there will be more people at the ABA grands then in the town I live, we have about 1200 citizens....

Buntster
bnd
Let me add, I'm the type that needs alot of practice. I had so much of it at Tulsa I rode away with time still left in my practice block.
Need some alone time? ride your bike over to the other side of the arena & it's peaceful & quiet. The place is massive. Need some more practice? The locals have a race night I believe that week. The track is like a huge outdoor track only inside.

Go check it out.

b
Thumperpilot
Hey, hey, hey. BND, you forgot Huey Lewis hangin' out with the BMX folk in Tulsa as well.
Jason F.
that much space they should have 2 tracks to keep the motos flowing....that would also maybe open up some practice time?? be pretty freaking cool!
bnd
I talked to Huey at Reno 2000 while in line to buy something. Really nice guy.

I can't wait to hear all the stories from 1st time Tulsa attendees.

b.
Bmx Prof
As I re-read his post... I thought to myself... he probably shouldn't race the Grands. Instead, he can hang in Indianapolis for the weekend and watch the Colts get one step closer to drafting Andrew Luck. Nothing shouts Thanksgiving weekend like 0-11. Thank God for the Turkey coma, maybe you'll be able to sleep through most of the game, its clear that the Colts players will.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will celebrate the end of an era with the last ABA grands. Next year it is all USABMX.
JOT123
I agree with most of the people on here when it comes to the importance of the Grand’s, but I just don't understand why the ABA runs it on the most expense and most traveled weekend of the year. My humble opinion is that it should be ran on a more travel friendly weekend…
sxebmx
QUOTE (JOT123 @ Nov 22 2011, 08:53 AM) *
I agree with most of the people on here when it comes to the importance of the Grand’s, but I just don't understand why the ABA runs it on the most expense and most traveled weekend of the year. My humble opinion is that it should be ran on a more travel friendly weekend…

For some weird reason it seems like people would rather spend 3x the money traveling instead of taking 2-3 vacation days.
Mr Rosh
hahaha. now you guys see the type of people we have to deal with in Indy. This must be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read and we are all now dumber for having read through it. He obviously has no idea what hes talking about. Maybe that guy should come, would be great to see his post-grands post eating crow. Maybe people don't always get the results they want or expect in Tulsa, but no one can say they didn't have a good time and/or a great show wasn't put on. The first timers will definitely be blown away.

G
mister2dt
QUOTE (sxebmx @ Nov 22 2011, 07:59 AM) *
For some weird reason it seems like people would rather spend 3x the money traveling instead of taking 2-3 vacation days.

We parents need to save those vacation and sick days for when we need to stay home with the kids when they are sick. Thanksgiving week works out great for a multitude of reasons, not using up time off from work and not having the kids missing school are two of the top reasons. It works, the higher cost in airfare is made up by the abundance of sub $75 hotels within 5 miles of the race. There are even sub $50 hotels that are very much worth booking within 5 miles.

Im loading bikes in the truck right now, getting on the road at about 2, arrive in Tulsa about midnight. Meet up with all my old high school buds, being from Tulsa and not living there now, Thanksgiving also works for me like a mini reunion every year.
sxebmx
QUOTE (mister2dt @ Nov 22 2011, 09:10 AM) *
We parents need to save those vacation and sick days for when we need to stay home with the kids when they are sick. Thanksgiving week works out great for a multitude of reasons, not using up time off from work and not having the kids missing school are two of the top reasons.

Good points.
The5thUltra
Lol@ the Grands, that ish aint all that..

Hehehehe..
DaBeast
sarcastic.gif

longere
If you guys only knew....

That Dumb Arse played the system a number of times. Traveled from Indy to Oklahoma, qualified out third round and won the main.

How quickly some of you are to judge because it's not the way you see it. Even worse, some of the top ABA people are jumping on the band wagon.

Just beacuse it's not your way doesn't mean it's wrong.

Longere
g-mo
QUOTE (longere @ Nov 22 2011, 10:14 AM) *
If you guys only knew....

That Dumb Arse played the system a number of times. Traveled from Indy to Oklahoma, qualified out third round and won the main.

How quickly some of you are to judge because it's not the way you see it. Even worse, some of the top ABA people are jumping on the band wagon.

Just beacuse it's not your way doesn't mean it's wrong.

Longere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0
Weaver
the fact that somebody can sign up the day of and race or sandbag all year so they can take home a big trophy and tell their friends they "Won the biggest race of the year in the sport" is kinda laughable no?

For this "Grand" race shouldnt it be age group only? Bad enough to have to sit around for days on end for a few race laps around the track... makes it worse that its over a holiday when family would wonder why you want to go sit in a rodeo arena and come home with the "Reno Cough".

and then theres the fact its in Tulsa...

Gavved
The ABA Grands is an event (not just a race) that every racer should go to at leaste once. There are alot of people who show up on Saturday and dont even show up Sunday just so they could say they have been there.

The NBL Grands were allways more serious because allmost all of the people there were running for a plate, but the ABA grands you can have a little more fun at because of all the extra people that show up (in my opinion).

Mike Fields
I love Thanksgiving in Tulsa at the Grands.

It is a long race and the extra day or two of vacation makes it workable.

I am with the family I truly want to be with - my BMX family.

It is an inexpensive place and the people of Oklahoma are kind, hospitable, easy-going and easy to be with.

I find the inexpensive hotels palatable, the limited dining options satisfactory and by booking early, I get cheap airfares.

The facility is the best I've ever been to in the US for a race.

The tracks are almost always excellent, certainly not "rodeo" quality.

And our ABA friends run the biggest race of the year with precision, class, grace and skill.

I LOVE the Grands in Tulsa.
mister2dt
rodeo arena pops up a lot in this thread. the Expo Center is not a rodeo arena. It is an events center. car shows, car races, indoor fairs, trade shows, the list goes on, rodeo? no, the rodeos are in the bok center, not the expo.
Bags1
Why race it? Hmmmm...

About 7 or 8 years ago I had a conversation with Colin Styles about the Greatest races to go to. (We did not include the Worlds, because that is a different animal). The ABA Grands was first on his list, with the NBL Grands 2nd. Races such as Rockford, The Ohio Christmas Classic, Nashville, Southpark, Reno, etc all made the list.

So why go? It is a bucket list item. Because it is a race above all other races. As has been mentioned up thread, this is the best facility (even as a NiBLer I marveled at the lcoation). I will be there in 2012 for sure. Hopefully I can check Rockford off the list at some point as well.
g-mo
QUOTE (Weaver @ Nov 22 2011, 10:32 AM) *
the fact that somebody can sign up the day of and race or sandbag all year so they can take home a big trophy and tell their friends they "Won the biggest race of the year in the sport" is kinda laughable no?

For this "Grand" race shouldnt it be age group only? Bad enough to have to sit around for days on end for a few race laps around the track... makes it worse that its over a holiday when family would wonder why you want to go sit in a rodeo arena and come home with the "Reno Cough".

and then theres the fact its in Tulsa...

They race cars in rodeo arenas? huh.gif

The funny thing about the baggers is that there are almost always 5 or 6 guys that are doing the same thing.

Age only does not work in the US.

If you only plan on racing "a few" laps, its probably best that you stay home and watch.
Bclark281
I've raced a grand total of 3 times this year. My daughter 5-6. It doesn't matter to us. I know that I probably won't make my main, and I'm ok if she doesn't make hers, either. The simple fact that we are doing this together is WAY more rewarding than some giant trophy that I really don't have any place to put. The whole thing is just an amazing experience. Plus, there's some pretty good racing going on.
Weaver
QUOTE (g-mo @ Nov 22 2011, 10:48 AM) *
The funny thing about the baggers is that there are almost always 5 or 6 guys that are doing the same thing.

Age only does not work in the US.

If you only plan on racing "a few" laps, its probably best that you stay home and watch.

why does age only not work?

a few laps= 1-3 laps in motos, 1 quarter maybe, 1 semi, 1 main. so a range of 4-6 laps... divided by days... carry the...

you get the point.

the amount of hours spent in Oklahomsucks, traveling, etc vs actually racing on the bike is sad. things could be done to help this... mixed opens? what the hell is that? nov and inter bagger classes at "the greatest race on earth"... again... wth?
g-mo
Age only doesn't work because the system in the US is a business. Business are in place to make profit.

You get the same amount of laps or less at any other BMX event. Moot point.

Mixed opens - see sentence one... Girls win the majority of those classes anyhow.

Weaver
QUOTE (g-mo @ Nov 22 2011, 11:12 AM) *
Age only doesn't work because the system in the US is a business. Business are in place to make profit.

more way than one to make a profit with a business... if you didnt notice, some people avoid the race. retention failure is killing the sport.

You get the same amount of laps or less at any other BMX event. Moot point.

you saw my math right? it included "divided by days". I raced more laps in 2 hours time at a 4x race this summer that you would over 2 days at the grands... im talking about time on the bike racing vs time driving (not all of us can battle on like db44 while tweeting about his co-pilot) and the time being stuck in Tulsa...

Mixed opens - see sentence one... Girls win the majority of those classes anyhow.

money. i understand. failure to evolve... i dont understand.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.