Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TANGE forks?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
a113ycat
I found these in a warehouse clean up. They are new old stock never mounted for sure. They are Tange forks Cro Moly but Ive never seen these type before. I will get some pictures up asap just looking for some insight as of now.
Thanks
Mr. Smith
We need some sight before we can give you insight.
laugh.gif
Unless you are looking for someone to rattle off every model of Tange forks made.

You put up a pic and someone here will answer your question.

Rob

* I'm not saying I'll necesarily know but there are some extremely knowledgeble people here !
Race Inc dude
cro-mo, prolly trx
JAY MADDEN
Tange "Muff Busters".....extremely rare!!!!
76 Mongeese
Is it square tube or round tube?
Mr. Smith
Or is it oval, or aero, or Cycle Pro / SE Innovation like ... hence the "MX" Tange's ?

Where is that crystal ball ?

Anyone, anyone ?

Rob
a113ycat
QUOTE (Mr. Smith @ Aug 31 2011, 11:50 PM) *
Or is it oval, or aero, or Cycle Pro / SE Innovation like ... hence the "MX" Tange's ?

Where is that crystal ball ?

Anyone, anyone ?

Rob

HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry for the delay in getting up the photos. We moved then had to evacuate due to wildfires. We got lucky but many of my friends and neighbors did not. These are the pictures. They are Tange TRX Cro-Mo and they are oval

Mr. Smith
Just messing around w/ bustin your stones.
Those Tange TRX are real nice forks.
I have a set on my one Webco.

As well they are fluted internally on the headtube for strength.
What year and month are your's ?

Mine are dated '80 ... forget the month.

Rob
MarkMc
Tange TRX had a run of about 1980-1983. They should have a date code of YM (Year/Month) on the steer tube. 0A = 1980. 2L would be 1982, Dec.

Great fork, but, not that uncommon. Even NOS, you see 1-2 pairs a year it seems. But, still, pretty darn cool.

Tange made their own branded forks, but, also made forks for Cycle Pro and Kuwahara among others.
Mr. Smith
^ Thanks Mark ^

Information like this is priceless when restoring a bike properly.

Rob
a113ycat
QUOTE (MarkMc @ Sep 10 2011, 02:07 AM) *
Tange TRX had a run of about 1980-1983. They should have a date code of YM (Year/Month) on the steer tube. 0A = 1980. 2L would be 1982, Dec.

Great fork, but, not that uncommon. Even NOS, you see 1-2 pairs a year it seems. But, still, pretty darn cool.

Tange made their own branded forks, but, also made forks for Cycle Pro and Kuwahara among others.

These are stamped 1H not sure what the exact year is.
bmxcurator
On the bay for starting bid of $99 LOL
a113ycat
QUOTE (bmxcurator @ Sep 10 2011, 11:38 AM) *
On the bay for starting bid of $99 LOL

yeah I have 2 of these so I put one up for sale. Im going to use the other on my personal build project. I am doing a Kuwahara with the Tange forks, Skyway Tuff Wheel II's in red and a 9" crank. Itll be a Frankenstein for sure but Im thinking cool none the less. I need to just come up with a few more vintage bits and Ill be in the build process right now its all in my head. It looks good in my head though!
bmxcurator
Post pics when you are done!
bmxcurator
Speaking of frakenstein builds, this was envisioned in my head for a couple years before I built it. Its an '81 Univega Cruiser 100 (started as a mtn bike) I blasted the paint, shot it flat black, found these rediculous 144 spoke wheels, and made it for comfortable cruising with my kiddos. I wanted clean, so I used a coaster brake so no cables or calipers etc. The power block tires are very smooth, along with the big ass gel seat. Keep the vision and go with it. Don't bend to follow a trend or whats hot....not every bike needs to have hutch pedals, profile cranks and tuf-necks cool.gif
a113ycat
QUOTE (bmxcurator @ Sep 10 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Speaking of frakenstein builds, this was envisioned in my head for a couple years before I built it. Its an '81 Univega Cruiser 100 (started as a mtn bike) I blasted the paint, shot it flat black, found these rediculous 144 spoke wheels, and made it for comfortable cruising with my kiddos. I wanted clean, so I used a coaster brake so no cables or calipers etc. The power block tires are very smooth, along with the big ass gel seat. Keep the vision and go with it. Don't bend to follow a trend or whats hot....not every bike needs to have hutch pedals, profile cranks and tuf-necks cool.gif

That is a nice cruiser for sure. I bet the gel keeps it comfortable too for sure. I will most likely start my build this winter when this slow down for me a bit and be ready to go in the spring. I will be posting pics in a new thread as well.
oldschooldude
The 1H is the year and month on that fork. August of 1981. Those are nice forks.
a113ycat
QUOTE (oldschooldude @ Sep 10 2011, 07:13 PM) *
The 1H is the year and month on that fork. August of 1981. Those are nice forks.

Thanks Im hoping they look good on the bike in my head. I need to imagine a good headset for this bike too.
skdevore
Nice score on some sweet forks! I am using a pair on my National Pro build, since I found a frame but not the forks. Love the oval tubing! rolleyes.gif
Race Inc dude
I ran those forks and they held up great
a113ycat
QUOTE (Race Inc dude @ Sep 14 2011, 08:03 PM) *
I ran those forks and they held up great

Since you actually have experience with these, in your opinion how do they compare to the other manufacturers of the era?
cheez
QUOTE (a113ycat @ Sep 15 2011, 08:13 AM) *
in your opinion how do they compare to the other manufacturers of the era?

As good as any, the only ones I didn't like was the lugged, curved leg ones(can't remember the number). All the others were top notch. the alloy ones were sweet too
NPSAThunder
QUOTE (cheez @ Sep 15 2011, 11:18 AM) *
As good as any, the only ones I didn't like was the lugged, curved leg ones(can't remember the number). All the others were top notch. the alloy ones were sweet too

I think the curved legged ones were 5000 or 3000. I seem to recall seeing a magazine add and Tange had a straight and "bent" leg version in the same number. I had a set of the curved or "bent" legged ones that I never had any problems with.
cheez
Never had a problem with the set I ran for a short time either just didn't really like/trust the lugged construction for BMX

I'd like to have a set of the straight leg ones. I only recall seeing 2 or 3 of those since the 70s. They have gotta be on the grail list of forks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.