Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 21" chromoly street frame under 4 lbs!
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
Rodogg
I thought THIS was a pretty cool frame. They went outside the box and did a press fit euro bottom bracket.
s4lnj
decent price tag for todays frames as well. not bad, we'll see how that press fit euro catches on.
i remember the first move away from standard or euro was spanish, which quickly was overtaken by mid
JD3
What is a press fit BB? Haven't seen one yet. I wonder if they will catch on?
BS
QUOTE (JD3 @ Aug 7 2011, 11:00 AM) *
What is a press fit BB? Haven't seen one yet. I wonder if they will catch on?

No cups. Bearings press straight into the frame... and they already have caught on in the "freestyle" world. Mid and Spanish bottom brackets are both press fit and are the standard on that side of the BMX market.
JD3
QUOTE (BS @ Aug 8 2011, 01:18 PM) *
No cups. Bearings press straight into the frame... and they already have caught on in the "freestyle" world. Mid and Spanish bottom brackets are both press fit and are the standard on that side of the BMX market.

Thanks. Yeah, I see the mid bb a lot at work. It's the same thing as the American minus the cups. A kid came in the other day looking for a mid bb and all we had left was a few Redline American bb. I popped the bearing out of the cup and told him was good to go.

Just haven't seen the euro press fits in person yet.
BS
QUOTE (JD3 @ Aug 8 2011, 06:58 PM) *
Just haven't seen the euro press fits in person yet.

As far as I know this is the first one.
Rodogg
I honestly want more outside the box stuff. I hate trying to get bearings out. They need to make a bottom bracket bearing like a headset bearing. With a 45 degree angle meeting a 45 degree angle milled into the bottom bracket. The bearing will pop right out and the bottom bracket would last longer. You can really mess up a frame with press fit bearings. I believe KHE makes a bearingless bottom bracket. It uses a bushing so it technically will last longer and is lighter.
race_inc
Killer frame!
Jarvi
I think FlyBikes prototyped a headset type bottom bracket a few years back, although they didn't go ahead with it. Not sure of the reason.
pgringo aka P.hilip K.elso
QUOTE (Rodogg @ Jun 3 2011, 05:49 PM) *
press fit euro bottom bracket.

i was wondering when this was going to happen. when i first heard about spanish & then mid bb's i assumed they would use euro bearings.

i bet the 45* bb bearing thing won't work because people are lazy and when their cranks get loose it'll ruin parts and they'll ignore ish & end up with catastrophic parts failure & the mayhem that goes along w/ it.
pwh4130
I don't think an angled bearing would disperse the stress and it'd blow up soon. I know many riders who couldn't ride Euro BB's because they blew them up frequently.

I have no problem pressing bearings in with my bench vice or a bearing press if I am at work. Getting them out is easy with an old screw driver and a hammer or a bearing puller.

Not to sure how I feel about a sub 4 pound frame. I'm afraid it'd be flexy and fall apart.
Rodogg
QUOTE (pwh4130 @ Aug 31 2011, 02:43 PM) *
I don't think an angled bearing would disperse the stress and it'd blow up soon.

Axle bearings on cars and trucks have been angled for decades.
GBOSS
Cool,but its Materials 100% Japanese Post Weld Heat negative.gif

Don't buy anything if its NOT made in the U.S.A.
GBOSS
Yup,I seen this one posted somewere Whole bike under 4 lbs! good2.gif

race_inc
Ummm there's no way that "whole" bike weighs less than 4lbs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.