Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 540 flair?!?!?!
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
sonikk71
Well the young wonderkid of BMX has landed another one...

http://www.vitalbmx.com/videos/member/Bret...kylecarlson,363
BS
circus trick
sonikk71
QUOTE (BS @ Jun 2 2011, 03:28 PM) *
circus trick

tongue.gif
RandyS
Funny, the person who accuses me of being a hater puts my name on the title.
Green86FST
Wow ramp riding has gotten so complex.....but I sure miss tucked 10 foot fakie airs. Simple but FLASHY as all hell.
BS
tongue.gif

HA! You should see what their saying about the triple flip on BMX Board. You think we're "haters"...and those guys are "freestylers"!

I'll tell you what though, dude needs to get his own nickname. "Mad Dog" = Chris mf'n Moeller.
sonikk71
QUOTE (RandyS @ Jun 2 2011, 04:04 PM) *
Funny, the person who accuses me of being a hater puts my name on the title.

Oh come on take a joke. In light of recent posts I figured I would try and lighten the mood a little. Hence the smiley...
sonikk71
QUOTE (BS @ Jun 2 2011, 04:10 PM) *
tongue.gif

HA! You should see what their saying about the triple flip on BMX Board. You think we're "haters"...and those guys are "freestylers"!

I'll tell you what though, dude needs to get his own nickname. "Mad Dog" = Chris mf'n Moeller.

I dont care what they say on BMXboard. Just another example of keyboard cowboys going on over there.
At least we agree on something. Mad Dog will always be Moeller. Notice I called him Brett B.
bmxmom
that was cool. he did it like it was nothing too.
justride
I've thought about things like this. There's a point where more isn't more. Let me explain. You can go big and hard sure, but it's more for wow factor or best trick contests. I think sometimes doing these tricks at a comp will net lower than expected points because it isn't as flashy as combo tricks. It's fun to watch for sure, but it's a little hard to flow from one trick to the next when doing a huge trick like this one.

The other problem I can see is someone wanting to always one up the guy before. So you have a bunch of people really hurting themselves trying to land something even bigger and more wild. It creates a sort of stigma to BMX where people look at it and say "it's just dangerous for the sake of being dangerous". Not all will feel this way but I could see where someone being exposed to the sport for the first time might feel that this is a bit much. BMX has always been a little bit about luck too. Whether you race or do street/park there's an element of luck that plays into it. Wind at the wrong time and you might end up taking a crash. Misjudge just a bit and you'll meet the ground the hard way. Things like that. Tricks such as Triple flips and 540 flairs are very cool to watch but are very much luck I would say. You gotta do things just right and even then you might not land it just so. You pull and pray sort of thing.

Now hopefully BMX grows to be where skating is because I think the riders deserve it. I don't know if this will do it though. Again it's really cool to see and fun to watch but I don't know if it's exactly the right direction for growth of the sport and all that. Time will tell, and maybe I'm wrong.
RandyS
QUOTE (justride @ Jun 5 2011, 07:31 PM) *
I've thought about things like this. There's a point where more isn't more. Let me explain. You can go big and hard sure, but it's more for wow factor or best trick contests. I think sometimes doing these tricks at a comp will net lower than expected points because it isn't as flashy as combo tricks. It's fun to watch for sure, but it's a little hard to flow from one trick to the next when doing a huge trick like this one.

The other problem I can see is someone wanting to always one up the guy before. So you have a bunch of people really hurting themselves trying to land something even bigger and more wild. It creates a sort of stigma to BMX where people look at it and say "it's just dangerous for the sake of being dangerous". Not all will feel this way but I could see where someone being exposed to the sport for the first time might feel that this is a bit much. BMX has always been a little bit about luck too. Whether you race or do street/park there's an element of luck that plays into it. Wind at the wrong time and you might end up taking a crash. Misjudge just a bit and you'll meet the ground the hard way. Things like that. Tricks such as Triple flips and 540 flairs are very cool to watch but are very much luck I would say. You gotta do things just right and even then you might not land it just so. You pull and pray sort of thing.

Now hopefully BMX grows to be where skating is because I think the riders deserve it. I don't know if this will do it though. Again it's really cool to see and fun to watch but I don't know if it's exactly the right direction for growth of the sport and all that. Time will tell, and maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you.

By the way, I have no problem with the video in this thread other than it not being landed under the lip, as more skater than freestyle bmxer landing anything below the top third of the tranny isn't right. But I'm sure that will come with time and a bigger tranny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.