Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First ever TRIPLE backflip!
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
RandyS
Stupid. When did BMX become the circus.
doug118
QUOTE (RandyS @ May 28 2011, 11:26 AM) *

When did you become ignorant?
RandyS
QUOTE (doug118 @ May 28 2011, 05:16 PM) *
When did you become ignorant?

It's a circus trick. No more skill than a single or double, much less style. You make it or die trying. Can't wait for the quad, gosh that will be revolutionary. Witty comeback by the way.
Sirdigalot
thats awesome nomatter what that randy guy says
Rodogg
QUOTE (RandyS @ May 28 2011, 10:36 AM) *
It's a circus trick. No more skill than a single or double, much less style. You make it or die trying. Can't wait for the quad, gosh that will be revolutionary. Witty comeback by the way.

You obviously don't know how to do any tricks! Otherwise you would know there is a world of difference with every added full rotation. "Much less style" !!! The landing was beyond perfect. That in itself was crazy style.

"you make it or die trying" ..... thats what separates the men from the boys .... thats whats brings the big crowds ...... MAN! Do you even ride a BMX?????

It is circus style!!!!! NITRO CIRCUS!!!!!! If you want to see some amazing stunts, they will be in vegas in a month or so. While your there.... you can get a life! wink.gif

RandyS
Wow, you experts sure are bitter about someones opinion.

MAN! Do you even ride a BMX?

Do I even need to comment on this?

OK, I will. What is a BMX?
reed
I havn't been on Vintage in about a month. So today I log in to see if there is any talk of this and sure enough here it is..... the same old bashing crap.

Maybe if he did it on clips it would have been better.LOL.

No more skill than a single backflip???? you gotta be kidding me! Thats like saying jumping a 40ft pro sect takes no more skill than a 12 ft double!
GRIZZ
Ignoring the haters, did you see that he is still GOING UP, while flipping. UP, gaining altitude, so he can clear the top of the landing ramp. All while doing three backflips. My mind is still spinning. From someone that saw the first 540 ever and thought to myself, "wow, this could change things", the triple backflip is the new standard. Now, we need to see someone nail it on a standard dirt course.

And for the record, I ride a BMX and once did a 3/4 backflip into water and some other stuff, so you can trust me.
oldhed
@ randy, dude, theres a difference between an opinion and just cutting some one down because they did something you can't. seriously, why would you openly criticize someone for accomplishing something that hard? and if its so easy and uncomplicated for you, why dont you post your video today of you doing a triple? just make sure you do it with style. i mean really, is that what this site has become, a place for people to get trash talked when they accomplish something really cool? i guess your "opinion" of woody's 24k trickstar is it"s just a yellow bike? by the way, where's that video of you doing a stylish triple back flip? laugh.gif biggrin.gif
RandyS
My opinion of any Hutch is the same. I guess a 24k gold Hutch would be more per pound. This really is going nowhere.
bmxmom
crazy. forget about the backflips. i wonder how many people would mess their pants standing at the top of that ramp just thinking about riding down it.
Rodogg
HA HA HA, WHERE is the love???
oldhed
i've got tons of love for all my fellow RIDERS. I just don't feel it's right for someone to openly trash talk someone for an awesome accomplishment. Let alone make and idiotic statement like "it's no more skill than a single or a double much less style". I'm 42 and I ride my bmx everyday. I've gotten my girlfriends 5 year old son, her 7 year old son, and even her 12 year old daughter into oldschool bmx. I've loved this sport/hobby since I was 5 myself. I just do not condone bashing people for accomplishments.
RandyS
I still haven't gotten an answer on what a "BMX" is.

Openly trash talk? I said it's taking it to a level of stupid. Scott Murray can pull a double backfilp on a 250T every once in a while, doesn't make it right. At some point it becomes simple hucking. If you make it you can be a youtube hero, if you don't, you don't.

Skwerly
well i thought it was pretty cool, if not extremely daring and a little stupid. biggrin.gif

whoa. dude has more skills than i do, that's for sure haha.
BS
I'll admit that it is a huge accomplishment and it sets a new standard for BMX...

...but that still doesn't mean we have to enjoy watching it.

Aitken tables > triple flips

Somebody watch Anthem/Anthem II
jesboogie
best part of the video (besides the clean landing) was dude pedaling HARD down the roll in. Talk about do or die! I am not the biggest fan of the flip tricks, but that sure beats the crep out of a smith to 180

jd
yes, I ride Bmx, poorly
The R
A physics lesson about why this is so difficult:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/06/...e-so-difficult/

sonikk71
QUOTE (RandyS @ May 28 2011, 09:26 AM) *

Racers...always looking down their noses at anyone who doesn't ra...Oh wait?! What have we here!?!?! Some friend of yours works with a guy who flew his truck in a straight line a long ways and you are all "proud papa" on it?

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....p;#entry1097253

Consistency. You lack it.

abdracer
This dude is nuts trust me seen in person fellow Newzealander rider right after this tripple flip went right back up and went for a double flip flip whip he also won the red bull dirt pipe this year
Rodogg
QUOTE (abdracer @ Jun 1 2011, 08:21 PM) *
This dude is nuts trust me seen in person fellow Newzealander rider right after this tripple flip went right back up and went for a double flip flip whip he also won the red bull dirt pipe this year

LUCKY!!!
It must have been awesome!
RandyS
QUOTE (sonikk71 @ Jun 1 2011, 09:53 PM) *
Racers...always looking down their noses at anyone who doesn't ra...Oh wait?! What have we here!?!?! Some friend of yours works with a guy who flew his truck in a straight line a long ways and you are all "proud papa" on it?

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....p;#entry1097253

Consistency. You lack it.

Big difference between something that was well engineered, including some serious protection around the driver and a guy in a Protec. Watch the ramp as he goes off it, bet they didn't factor in 6" of forward flex. If they did they would have used more 2x4s.

Why is everyone so worried about what I think, why don't you go ride your "BMX".
abdracer
He used a FMX ramp with extra lip and he didnt just go out and do it had it planned practiced in to foam pit and then a air bag gets some mean height and na i didnt see that tripple flip in person i was of racing i ment i seen him ride in person he is nuts and good on him its in the record books now so sweet now i see andy buckworth going for a tripple front flip i guess ya will say that no big deal to aye its nuts if any thing goes wrong well u get the idea
sonikk71
QUOTE (RandyS @ Jun 1 2011, 10:11 PM) *
Big difference between something that was well engineered, including some serious protection around the driver and a guy in a Protec. Watch the ramp as he goes off it, bet they didn't factor in 6" of forward flex. If they did they would have used more 2x4s.

Why is everyone so worried about what I think, why don't you go ride your "BMX".

You have no idea what amount of engineering went into the triple flip attempt. You seem to think that Tanner taking a calculated risk is acceptable but Jed doing it is not.(And dont try and tell me there was no risk...Iron Man Stewart messed himself up good jumping one those trucks recently in a "stunt" that was well engineered and had serious protection similar to the truck Tanner was driving) Now would I have worn a full face Bell helmet rather than a Protec? Yes, but watch the behind the scenes video on the jump... http://youtu.be/IrCIIqn6uhMHe took his precautions.

Dont be fooled it isnt about you. It is about being sick and tired of haters. People who are constantly a downer and always busting people's chops when they do something great. Notice in your buddy's video I didnt say "Oh man he had help... he had a motor, and a rollcage around him, and the budget of HotWheels to back him up." No I gave the guy his props. He deserves it. I for one am sick of people on here not having respect for their fellow BMXers. The racers hate the freestylers the freestylers hate the racers I mean come on its all BMX. (We should be hating on the fixies anyways:P ) So I really dont care what you think, but if you act like a jerk on this forum you had better be prepared to be called out on it. You whole post smacked of BMX racer elitism to me. (if it wasnt then I misread you but it sure sounded like it) Equating freestyle with a circus is basically an insult to those of us that ride. That's like saying racers have no skill cause all the do is pedal fast. Not the case at all.

RandyS
QUOTE (sonikk71 @ Jun 2 2011, 06:30 PM) *
You have no idea what amount of engineering went into the triple flip attempt. You seem to think that Tanner taking a calculated risk is acceptable but Jed doing it is not.(And dont try and tell me there was no risk...Iron Man Stewart messed himself up good jumping one those trucks recently in a "stunt" that was well engineered and had serious protection similar to the truck Tanner was driving) Now would I have worn a full face Bell helmet rather than a Protec? Yes, but watch the behind the scenes video on the jump... http://youtu.be/IrCIIqn6uhMHe took his precautions.

Dont be fooled it isnt about you. It is about being sick and tired of haters. People who are constantly a downer and always busting people's chops when they do something great. Notice in your buddy's video I didnt say "Oh man he had help... he had a motor, and a rollcage around him, and the budget of HotWheels to back him up." No I gave the guy his props. He deserves it. I for one am sick of people on here not having respect for their fellow BMXers. The racers hate the freestylers the freestylers hate the racers I mean come on its all BMX. (We should be hating on the fixies anyways:P ) So I really dont care what you think, but if you act like a jerk on this forum you had better be prepared to be called out on it. You whole post smacked of BMX racer elitism to me. (if it wasnt then I misread you but it sure sounded like it) Equating freestyle with a circus is basically an insult to those of us that ride. That's like saying racers have no skill cause all the do is pedal fast. Not the case at all.

I believe the human body has a finite ability to absorb trauma, it has nothing to do with whether it's freestyle, racing, or jumping off a moving train. There are 4 so called action sports I have been involved in from almost day one and all have reached that point to some extent, some really great athletes have walked away because of it and some have been carried away on a stretcher, a few with a sheet over them. I never called freestyle a circus trick, I called hucking yourself to a do or die extent stupid and a circus trick. I have no need to apologize to anyone for my views, especially someone who refers to a bike as a BMX.
bmxmom
how bizarre that a thread about a cool bmx achievement has turned controversial
pnj
bmx freestyle has always been about progression. From the first rock walk to the first quarter pipe air to the first wall ride to the first .....

I remember when 4x8 box jumps were standard. then they went to 5x10.

Now people jump mega ramps like it's nothing.

Progressing, changing, always moving forward. That is freestyle to me.

Rodogg
I had to post this part of an interview with the man ... Chad Kagy ... he's spot on about people like RandyS ... laugh.gif
Q
I’ve heard the argument within the BMX community that events like Mega Ramp aren’t really helping the sport grow because it’s not relatable and stuff…What’s your take on that? Do you think these huge ass ramp contests and demos are a good thing for BMX?
A
"I’m tired of other people telling me and the rest of the world what BMX is and isn’t. It’s freestyle because you’re free to have any style you want. The other people that try to dictate what BMX is for other people are making the BMX community look bad by not standing together as an industry. BMX is fractured and full of drama and it doesn’t need to be that way. I like to ride everything from street to dirt to vert to mega. Right now I like vert and mega most because I really like to go fast, jump far, and go high on quarter pipes. I don’t hate on the 25th street edit posted this week of nose manuals and 180’s…it’s not my thing, but I can appreciate it without adding some hate to a broken industry. The big ramps are a crowd pleaser and entertainment, so it gets the general public watching BMX, which is a good thing for everyone in the industry. More knowledge brings more interest, which brings more buyers of BMX brands. BMX can have a lot more influence and power if all the riders stood together, but some people feel it’s still cool to put people down to make themselves feel better. I barely read the forums anymore since kids are too busy criticizing everyone else’s riding style to go out riding and find out what they’re true riding style is."

Here is the link for Chad's full interview. Nitro Circus debut in america this weekeng at the grand ...... I wish I was going!!!!

pnj
Awesome post and a great attitude!
BS
I had to post this part of an interview (loose quote) with the man ... Brian Foster ... he's spot on about people like RandyS (& BS)...
Q
(I can't really remember what the question was. It had something to do with "progression". There was mention of a Chris Duncan quadruple truckdriver or something.)
A
(OK, this is a loose quote): "More isn't always better. Biscuits and gravy is good but you can only put on so much gravy before it all just turns to mush"

Here is the link to nothing. The Texas Toast Jam happened last week ...... I wish I had been there!!!!

(Just playing around a little bit Roddog)
RandyS
QUOTE (Rodogg @ Jun 3 2011, 06:12 PM) *
I had to post this part of an interview with the man ... Chad Kagy ... he's spot on about people like RandyS ... laugh.gif
Q
I’ve heard the argument within the BMX community that events like Mega Ramp aren’t really helping the sport grow because it’s not relatable and stuff…What’s your take on that? Do you think these huge ass ramp contests and demos are a good thing for BMX?
A
"I’m tired of other people telling me and the rest of the world what BMX is and isn’t. It’s freestyle because you’re free to have any style you want. The other people that try to dictate what BMX is for other people are making the BMX community look bad by not standing together as an industry. BMX is fractured and full of drama and it doesn’t need to be that way. I like to ride everything from street to dirt to vert to mega. Right now I like vert and mega most because I really like to go fast, jump far, and go high on quarter pipes. I don’t hate on the 25th street edit posted this week of nose manuals and 180’s…it’s not my thing, but I can appreciate it without adding some hate to a broken industry. The big ramps are a crowd pleaser and entertainment, so it gets the general public watching BMX, which is a good thing for everyone in the industry. More knowledge brings more interest, which brings more buyers of BMX brands. BMX can have a lot more influence and power if all the riders stood together, but some people feel it’s still cool to put people down to make themselves feel better. I barely read the forums anymore since kids are too busy criticizing everyone else’s riding style to go out riding and find out what they’re true riding style is."

Here is the link for Chad's full interview. Nitro Circus debut in america this weekeng at the grand ...... I wish I was going!!!!

If you clowns are going to continually attack me at least accuse me of the right stuff. Yes I said a triple had less style than a single or double, are you going to dispute that? That is not what the original post was about, it was simply a couple of words in a paragraph. Nowhere did I say anything about the specific riders style. Nowhere on here have I done any of the things in this post. Everything I have posted after the first one explained what I meant by the first post, I don't need to go over it again and I stand behind it. It happens to be my view after having friends, friends of friends, and people I have never met but who's talent I respected end up in wheelchairs, live with constant pain, or dead. Since you have decided to accuse me of being a "people like" please feel free to pull up the hundreds of posts I must have made over the last 15 years being a "people like". I've been RandyS on every board I've ever posted on since 1995. BMX, Moto, Skate, and Snowboard. I have no problem with calling people out or talking #$*^ for the right reason, I occasionally will push peoples buttons to amuse myself but if you want to accuse me of being a hater back it up or STFU. Maybe you should go outside and ride your BMX.<<<<<<Yes I'm making fun of you there, maybe you don't even know why.
Rodogg
QUOTE (BS @ Jun 3 2011, 11:36 AM) *
I had to post this part of an interview (loose quote) with the man ... Brian Foster ... he's spot on about people like RandyS (& BS)...
Q
(I can't really remember what the question was. It had something to do with "progression". There was mention of a Chris Duncan quadruple truckdriver or something.)
A
(OK, this is a loose quote): "More isn't always better. Biscuits and gravy is good but you can only put on so much gravy before it all just turns to mush"

Here is the link to nothing. The Texas Toast Jam happened last week ...... I wish I had been there!!!!

(Just playing around a little bit Roddog)

Them there was funny!
Being in cali, I hope your going to the old school reunion at the bellflower bmx park this weekend. Shoot, if you can't make that one, S & M and Co. are throwing a contest at the Livermore skate park.

I can't take you too serious BS. I just get an image of a .38 special with tassels and a bell laugh.gif
justride
Not to bring up this thread again, but I gotta know something..

When RandyS is making fun of people by telling them to "Go ride your BMX" what the hell does that even mean?
Rodogg
QUOTE (justride @ Jun 5 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Not to bring up this thread again, but I gotta know something..

When RandyS is making fun of people by telling them to "Go ride your BMX" what the hell does that even mean?

RandyS ..... I assume, as I don't know him, is probably among the older bunch and, I am assuming, he looks at bmx for what it stands for .... bicycle moto cross or racing .. . with that in mind, one can argue that flipping a ramp is not BMX ..... once again, that is my assumption. thats the only sense I could make of it anyways .....

RandyS, don't think everyone here is attacking you, poking fun maybe, and bad mouthing your opinion for sure but I think we are all glad your here and riding bmx...... whatever that means to each of us wink.gif
RandyS
QUOTE (Rodogg @ Jun 6 2011, 07:21 PM) *
RandyS ..... I assume, as I don't know him, is probably among the older bunch and, I am assuming, he looks at bmx for what it stands for .... bicycle moto cross or racing .. . with that in mind, one can argue that flipping a ramp is not BMX ..... once again, that is my assumption. thats the only sense I could make of it anyways .....

RandyS, don't think everyone here is attacking you, poking fun maybe, and bad mouthing your opinion for sure but I think we are all glad your here and riding bmx...... whatever that means to each of us wink.gif

BMX freestyle is every bit as much a part of BMX as BMX racing. Ramp jumping was a part of BMX before freestyle was a recognized term. I love watching Vert, Mega Ramp and Dirt Jumping, I'm a little anti park being as much skater as BMXer but it's undeserved. But your bike is not a "BMX", despite having heard a few younger misguided pro dirt jumpers use that term. Just cuz Wikipedia says it doesn't make it right. It's not something I would ever call anyone on unless they're coming after me. How about we call this done, I love progression, I don't love pushing too far for the sake of pushing too far. That's my view and I'm sticking to it. I feel the exact same way about racing, that happened a week ago in the Netherlands.

Oh, yeah. I may not have the same reaction to a triple flip on an X Games style Mega Ramp, the sketch factor comes way down without the gap but I'd still rather see something new not just something more.
abdracer
well u light see that tripple back flip on the mega as i just heard Jed been invited to x games but ramp prob not big enough for it but i bet he will throw it anyway or some other crazy trick
irodetoday
QUOTE (RandyS @ May 28 2011, 12:50 PM) *
Wow, you experts sure are bitter about someones opinion.

MAN! Do you even ride a BMX?

Do I even need to comment on this?

OK, I will. What is a BMX?

its ok man!

the phrase "riding a BMX" is commonly used by the Euros...its actually very cool. just another way to say "lets go shredd on our bikes"

get yourself a issue of Case magazine and open up a whole new world

its all good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.