Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a bike
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
Race Inc dude
I'm looking for a bike to ride at the local bike/skate park. I'm an oldschooler and not familiar with today's bikes. I am looking for a a bike that I can upgrade as I go if I hang with it. I don't wan't junk and I don't wanna spend a ton. Shouldn't I be able to get something respectable for $400. I don't wanna build one and is there such thing as a USA made complete that's respectable ? I have a 94 standard sta but it's a heavy tank. I used to ride it at challenge park in Joliet and found the weight to be a challenge. I am old and suck but still like to ride. Best I can do it now are peg stalls, small spines, table jumps. I am so fired up every time I go because I feel like it is the time of my life. I would have never dreamed an old 46 yr old lazy guy could be so consumed with this still. I just need a decent lighter bike.
BS
There are a lot of great completes out there for pretty cheap. The quality has improved significantly over the past several years. My preference would be one of the Fit completes. All of the completes are going to be taiwanese but, like I said, the quality has improved significantly over the years.
Rodogg
This is going to be your best bang for your buck. for an older guy, I think you'll be better suited with a longer top tube, it makes the bike feel great with the steeper headtube angles and shorter chainstays that street/trail bikes have these days.

its the only bike i think you'll find in this price range with a 21" top tube and double wall alienation rims and mission parts are awsome too, the hubs are compatible with oddessey parts like drivers and axels etc, .... I would seriously consider this bike, it really is the best bang for the buck and if your old school, the geometery is perfect for all around riding and trails ..... I spent 400 on a new we the people and I fell in love with all the new technology but hated the bike ... 20.4 top tube, 13.25 chainstay and I was bending the single wall rims right out the box .... its all since been replaced and turned out to be great at telling me what I didn't want ..... BS is right to suggest FIT and their parent company is american/rider owned but I dont think they even offer a 21" under 400 dollars ...... good luck

http://www.danscomp.com/102029.php
Race Inc dude
wow, thanks for the responses guys. Another thing to mention, when I watch guys riding parks, at least 4-5 years back, I see a lot of guys up on the front wheel with brake locked doing stuff. I think I really want a front brake because a number of those tricks realy appeal to me. I know they seem super technical and probably are but I graviate towards that style of riding. Old school brakes never worked as good as they do today. I rode with Dia compe mx900's and they were okey but if I want a super good front and rear brake, what should I look for. I do realize setup is critical and plan to make it work best as it is designed to work.
BS
Dia Compe 990's (U-brakes) and their successors. Odyssey's, Revenge Industries, Fly, etc.

Roddog touches on an important point. Most of the completes will not have long top-tubes. I don't know how tall you are but his advice is sound. You're probably going to need a brake plate to mount a 990 on the front if you buy a complete bike. Otherwise you'll have to get a fork that has 990 mounts welded on. Front brakes are cool but they're sort of out of fashion. Everybody just does foot-jam tricks on the front wheel now. There's a thread on here entitled "Front brake revolution" that would be good for you to watch. A couple of guys that are still rocking that technical front-brake mini-ramp riding. It's good stuff. Not my style but good stuff.
Terrorabbleone
I've got a DK r/t built up with all the parts off a kink apex that is in pretty good shape I will sell you and it falls right in your price range if interested.
Race Inc dude
lots to think about here. Maybe I outght to build a bike. I am 6'-1" and prefer a longer top tube but can do 20.5. A good f/f combo maybe would be best. I have some profile cranks, seat and 990 brakes off my Standard. My old wheels are bfr tripple wall with bullet proof hubs but a non cassate hub. I think I want the modern gearing and also a front brake.
Rodogg
6'1" is pretty tall .... I would check out Odessey's Adam Banton's ride he's tall and runs a nice set up with front brakes ... The frame and fork route is always a good one minus the money but you get what you want .... you can get an S & M frame with some pitchforks with brake mounts biggrin.gif

the f/f choice will most likey cost a lot more but I think its so worth it.

check out the adam banton tag at the bottom of this link and you'll find a bunch of videos of him doing front brake tricks......

http://bmx.transworld.net/1000100599/featu...ton-bike-check/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.