Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Central Illinois Tracks
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Brian L
I see that the tracks in the northern and southern parts of the state are represented, but what about central Illinois? I haven't raced at all of the following tracks, and I am sure there are some I am leaving out, but please post your memories if you raced at:

Decatur
Springfield (YMCA and Riverside)
Champaign
Assumption
Farmer City (indoor and outdoor)
Loami
Canton
Charleston
Pekin
Peoria

I know that at least a couple of these tracks are still in operation, but most of the ones listed are not. If I left any out, by all means post them here!
dsmith
i raced the national at peoria in about 82...huge downhill start as i remember..they had to mix my class if my memory serves correct..i had to race girls....lol
serider
The best track was left out,Toronto Raceway in Springfield. My Dad was theT/O when it was closed down also was involved in Assumption bmx and was the original T/O at YMCA track too.
Brian L
QUOTE (serider @ Apr 25 2011, 10:45 PM) *
The best track was left out,Toronto Raceway in Springfield. My Dad was theT/O when it was closed down also was involved in Assumption bmx and was the original T/O at YMCA track too.

Where was Toronto Raceway? Now that you mention it I think I do recall at least hearing about it. As for Assumption, I remember the Ohl family ran the track there. In fact, my very first BMX race was at that track, in 1983. I remember the first time I was at the track and saw real BMX bikes for the first time. One that made an impression on me was Scott Ohl's Floval Flyer. Many years later, in '94, I wound up working a summer job with Scott and I bought that Floval from him. I sure wish I still had it! After Assumption closed at the end of the '85 season, the starting gate wound up being sold to the track in Loami in '88 when they were building it. The track in Assumption sat for several years after it closed, in fact my friends and I used to drive over there and ride the track. Sadly, a bunch of morons with their ATVs and motorcycles basically destroyed what was left of the track and the city, fearing a potential liability, wound up plowing it.
stritz51
I remember racing at a indoor dirt track at the fair grounds in springfield around 1980. I will check tomarrow for pictures.
CAyers
I raced:
Charleston
Effingham
Champaign (Outdoor Parking Lot) NBL Event?
Farmer City
Decatur
Springfield
Quincy

I'm sure there are others but not sure of them
cheez
None in LEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Roy?

Champaign park district was gonna put in one at the new regional park till the economy tanked
Brian L
When did Effingham have a track? I have never heard of that one. In fact, since I started this thread I am amazed at all of the tracks that used to exist in this state but are gone now.
cheez
I'd consider Effingham south Illinoid and lump it with Vandalia, Mt Vernon and Carbondale
EricEngle

This is Springfield, 1981. It's a state race, but I can't remember if it's a qualifier or the championship. Hard to tell if it's spring or fall. #78 on the left is Henry Overturf and #48 on the right is Carl Herreweyers from Schaumburg Schwinn. Jim McMahon of Sundance Cycle can be seen in the background. Looks like Ross and maybe Grant DuBois with him.

This is also Springfield, but I think it's closer to 1983 or 1984.
Str8talkr
QUOTE (EricEngle @ Sep 22 2011, 11:42 AM) *

This is Springfield, 1981. It's a state race, but I can't remember if it's a qualifier or the championship. Hard to tell if it's spring or fall. #78 on the left is Henry Overturf and #48 on the right is Carl Herreweyers from Schaumburg Schwinn. Jim McMahon of Sundance Cycle can be seen in the background. Looks like Ross and maybe Grant DuBois with him.

This is also Springfield, but I think it's closer to 1983 or 1984.

...And that's Mike Morressy in the lead!

Str8
dk24
rantoul had 2 tracks. 1 was in the mid to late 80's and than another in the mid 90's. Both shut down due to lack of intrest in running them. Tilton, il over by Danville also had a track. Farmer City is still running. Voted Illinois track of the year for 2011. Indoor track is shutdown temp. though.
cheez
The Building Farmer City BMX was using at the fair grounds got a higher paying tenant. It would be nice if that farmer who has that big azz building across from contractors supply (rt 150) would let them use it. That building just sits there and they could have a full size track in there it's four times as big as the one they were using

Fat Man
QUOTE (Str8talkr @ Sep 24 2011, 03:03 AM) *
...And that's Mike Morressy in the lead!

Str8

that is a awsome pic of riverside. We still race there now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.