Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazing 1980 track
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
mxmug
The following video features what would have been a very hitech track for 1980. It features;

1 air gate
2 digital timer
3 groomed and packed like a modern track
4 lanes marked as if the 30 foot rule had allready been implemented
5 kids hitting the doubles like a rtythm section.
6 trees and park like setting

Any one know where it was/is?

Mx Mug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZpCDyXNx4
Jason F.
WOW how did they pedal so fast and stay on their bikes without clips.........

sarcasm.
sanjosebmx
looks like a movie clip..look at his other videos...
killer old school video
COASTY
It's in Australia. Damon Bevan (member here) Can be seen in the factory JMC gear. He would of been 12 or 13 in this I think.
Also theres a Factory Quicksilver Pro in there too. Probably Alistair Johnson.
Looks like a Sydney Track but I don't know which one.

Oh and the skatepark bit at the end is probably Ryde. I rode there a few times myself.
COASTY
The second vid is def Ryde Eastwood Track. Theres one of my old team mates in there and Damon again.
Cool vids
BenOr
Nice job. I slow motioned it and saw Damon's last name. The hacks also were a give away.
jipster43
The track featured in mkpart1 is AWESOME!

JP smile.gif
Elvis
Awesome thread; thanks.
rhoads157
AWESOME! They actually raced to the finish as well.
Afterhours
QUOTE (Jason F. @ Feb 4 2011, 01:54 PM) *
WOW how did they pedal so fast and stay on their bikes without clips.........

sarcasm.

I laughed, but I like your sense of humor.

That is one sweet video, thanks for sharing.
TONE
Yeah, it was funny......but you dont understand it.

QUOTE (Afterhours @ Feb 5 2011, 02:36 AM) *
I laughed, but I like your sense of humor.

That is one sweet video, thanks for sharing.

BMXDAD72
QUOTE (TONE @ Feb 4 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Yeah, it was funny......but you dont understand it.

Awesome. Just awesome.
sanjosebmx
really? This video and thread and it turns into a 'clips vs flats' you suck no you suck?

god..
maximum85
cool stuff...
Jason F.
QUOTE (sanjosebmx @ Feb 5 2011, 01:13 AM) *
really? This video and thread and it turns into a 'clips vs flats' you suck no you suck?

god..

Pretty sure we are all laughing, your post does suck however..... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
azaussie
QUOTE (COASTY @ Feb 4 2011, 04:29 PM) *
It's in Australia. Damon Bevan (member here) Can be seen in the factory JMC gear. He would of been 12 or 13 in this I think.
Also theres a Factory Quicksilver Pro in there too. Probably Alistair Johnson.
Looks like a Sydney Track but I don't know which one.

Oh and the skatepark bit at the end is probably Ryde. I rode there a few times myself.

Definitely Australia. Looks like the guy crossing the finish line at the 50sec mark is on a Cobra (Queensland brand right?)
COASTY
Yeah it looks like it. Red, white and green jersey.
Cfw
QUOTE (sanjosebmx @ Feb 4 2011, 11:13 PM) *

god..

It's more simple minded than that. Tone is an Afterhours dingleberry. You'll find him chastising Afterhours on almost every post.

Cool vid though.
caferacer
This video is from the 1981 N.S.W state titles in Nowra a town about 3 hours south of Sydney in Australia.
This track was well ahead of it's time, eletronic timming board, air ram gate even if it was allready half way down when up.
That's me in the Factory JMC gear in maybe a moto or semi, because i won the main that year.
Lots of riders in there that went on to do well in the years after this to, the guy in the red, white and green Cobra gear is Todd Easterbrook who later rode for Factory Diamond Back.
caferacer
The last few seconds are of North Ryde skate park which was the first park in 1980 to let bikes ride there, myself and the guy in the blue and white gear who wins that last race where there the first day they lets us in there.
If you look to the left of the shot there was a huge half pipe that Darrell Young broke his ankle in within hours of arriving in Australia in december 1981.
Now a car park owned by a bus company.
caferacer
2 nd video is from 1981 from my home track, Ryde Eastwood BMX track which was the first BMX club and race track in Australia.
Im in this one a fair bit to ! And some good friends of mine who also still race today.
mxmug
Cafe
thanks for the info. If you dont mind give us more details of the track and that days racing.

wx wug
Reilley1
I posted this before and had interesting replies

COASTY
hahaha Oh Rick, thats opened a few cans before now!
COASTY
QUOTE (caferacer @ Feb 16 2011, 11:48 PM) *
The last few seconds are of North Ryde skate park which was the first park in 1980 to let bikes ride there, myself and the guy in the blue and white gear who wins that last race where there the first day they lets us in there.
If you look to the left of the shot there was a huge half pipe that Darrell Young broke his ankle in within hours of arriving in Australia in december 1981.
Now a car park owned by a bus company.

Bottom of the page is me and Dean at Ryde for Pancake mag.
Other pic is Ryde Skatepark these days.

boersma31p
QUOTE (mxmug @ Feb 4 2011, 05:22 PM) *
The following video features what would have been a very hitech track for 1980. It features;

1 air gate
2 digital timer
3 groomed and packed like a modern track
4 lanes marked as if the 30 foot rule had allready been implemented
5 kids hitting the doubles like a rtythm section.
6 trees and park like setting

Any one know where it was/is?

Mx Mug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZpCDyXNx4

With the exception of the air gate (ours was spring loaded), and no digital timer, Gordon Barnett Park in Orlando was like that. I remember watching expert and pro classes going so fast down the first straight that their legs were a blur, and riding out the whoops, doubles, and steps (the old kind of rhythm sections) was the only way to win.
Jet Black
I can remember racing at the Nowra Track b4 the air gate & timing were installed.
They often hosted big events that would draw the "usual suspects" down from Sydney to steal their trophies.

I have no idea why none of the Champion Cycles team didn't make the journey down for NSW State Plates.

I do remember running into Caferacer with my brother one night in Nowra just after he had been questioned
by the local Cops as to why he was riding around the streets late at night.....No comment as to what we were
doing riding our bikes around Nowra at that time of night , least we didn't get caught smile.gif

Ryde Skatepark in the real early days , I think I'm carving the mini bowl in this picture.

I had good faith in my Board riding back then , but absolutely no faith in the safety gear I owned , so I stayed
outta the Big Bowl (genuinely scary) & could get a reasonable ride to slam ratio in the halfpipe without breaking
any bones , that said , swapping up from 4 little wheels to 2 X 20inch wheels was the best transport & lifestyle change
I ever made.

I still got the Tony Alva signature board somewhere & Matt has the same vintage board with a signature deck by a guy called
Tony Hawk , we didn't know who he was , but the underside graphics of a skeleton with a sword looked cool so he bought it ,
down in Burwood Skate Shop <heh>

JB

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.