Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RAMPAR-- a BMX bike or not
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
gravyhound
I have an old 1978 or 79 rampar I think from my childhood, I got it from my older cousin's husband in 1988 and was wondering if it was considered a BMX bike or not and I will get the numbers off of it soon and is there anybody out there that can find out exactly what it is?
daveolear
QUOTE (gravyhound @ Jan 4 2011, 06:13 PM) *
if it was considered a BMX bike

Of course not
Afterhours
Here's one. Looks like a bmx bike to me.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/rampar/493

cheez
Pics would help, some were worthy some were not. If this is what it looks like the answer would be not. The RA 10 made by BMX Products is the Raleigh to have IMO

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=238167
Racer
LOL it is. Toby Henderson and Jeff Bottema raced for Rampar. They made everything from low end mild steel bikes to full 4130.
cheez
QUOTE (Afterhours @ Jan 4 2011, 10:27 PM) *
Here's one. Looks like a bmx bike to me.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/rampar/493

little more than 10 years older than the one asked about, but a sweet bike none the less
Monster-Robot
I love the Rampar suspension bikes. Never got to ride one as a kid but they always looked so cool in the ads or stores.

I enjoy this Rampar as an occasional rider. It's quite the wheelie machine.

COASTY
Or theres this one.
Made by BMX Products. 1978 Rampar Team.
Kurt.
Oh yeah Glenn!
Lonewolf
Even if the bike is the mild steel version, it's worthy. Heavy, but worthy. It's what I grew up on and I became a pretty dangerous dude at the track.

Whatever you do, don't chuck it.

QUOTE (COASTY @ Jan 5 2011, 02:31 AM) *
Or theres this one.

This is really nice. I guess Toby and Jeff would have been on these.
COASTY
Thanks Kurt. The tires and wheels will be changed soon hopefully. I hate those tires.
Yeah Lonewolf. Same as the Raleigh ad where Toby does the powerslide. Also they both had red versions as well.
Monster-Robot
QUOTE (COASTY @ Jan 5 2011, 02:31 AM) *
Or theres this one.

Now THAT'S a Rampar !!!
gravyhound
thats the exact bike I have and the same color.

CHEEZ.
Pics would help, some were worthy some were not. If this is what it looks like the answer would be not. The RA 10 made by BMX Products is the Raleigh to have IMO

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=238167

Greg_Hanna
If your really lucky, it is or was a silvery blue color and is a super rare and desirable Rampar R9. I loved those bikes when I first saw them with all the Dura-Ace components!!

I passed on an NOS R9 in a shop window here in Chicago back in 1988 (Puyries Bikes in either Evanston or Skokie) and have regretted it ever since!! Wish I knew which local collector got it, I would love to see it again!
mxmug
QUOTE (Lonewolf @ Jan 5 2011, 02:03 AM) *
Even if the bike is the mild steel version, it's worthy. Heavy, but worthy. It's what I grew up on and I became a pretty dangerous dude at the track.

Whatever you do, don't chuck it.

I agree. I logged a whole lot of hours on a r10. Thats what 1 really learned to ride on before i started racing.

Mx Mug
Brian B
Coasty,
Your Rampar is amazing. Thanks for posting.
gravyhound
QUOTE (Greg_Hanna @ Jan 5 2011, 10:40 AM) *
If your really lucky, it is or was a silvery blue color and is a super rare and desirable Rampar R9. I loved those bikes when I first saw them with all the Dura-Ace components!!

I passed on an NOS R9 in a shop window here in Chicago back in 1988 (Puyries Bikes in either Evanston or Skokie) and have regretted it ever since!! Wish I knew which local collector got it, I would love to see it again!

After seeing this http://burnerworld.8.forumer.com/a/posts.p...4791&start= my bike may be an R9 cause it has the sunshine hub that is threaded on both sides of the araya rims
Greg_Hanna
Post some pics of it, I would love to see it.
Afterhours
QUOTE (gravyhound @ Jan 6 2011, 06:26 AM) *
After seeing this http://burnerworld.8.forumer.com/a/posts.p...4791&start= my bike may be an R9 cause it has the sunshine hub that is threaded on both sides of the araya rims

That is one of the coolest videos I've seen of old school riding. And to think someone started a thread questioning trails being BMX.
Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (Greg_Hanna @ Jan 5 2011, 11:40 AM) *

I went from a Mag scambler to the Rampar r-9 light blue with Super mighty comps and sunshine hubs with araya 7c rims. It was super light compared to the 32 lbs Schwinn.
gravyhound
I got the numbers off my rampar but the first character Im unsure about it appears to be a litter eather E B H P or F the rest of it is 909072 so does anyone know how, where or who can decode this.
gravyhound
The serial is E909072 and I saw another bike with a very similar number so it looks like the frame is a 1979 R10 I thought the wheels where off an R9 cause the rear hub is threded on both sides but the rear hub is stamped BMX SunShine japan 3 84, The rims are anodized dark blue and the sunshine hubs are black im just now getting it cleaned up for pics as it was put away back in 1992. the bike was red when I got it back in 1988 but not sure if it was original and I have repainted it a time or two back then. I think im going to go to work on it but not sure what to do with it. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? color, parts, tires so on
gravyhound
QUOTE (Greg_Hanna @ Jan 6 2011, 10:00 AM) *
Post some pics of it, I would love to see it.

Well I finally got it all cleaned up after sitting under my parents deck for 19 years

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Racer
Thats for sure a real BMX bike. Those bars are big, what brand are they? That bike looks like it is just waiting for someone to go ride it.
If its the original chain make sure you replace it or go easy on it, no gate starts
So we know by the serial number it is a 79. We also know the hubs are from 1984 and therefore not the original hubs or wheels. The stem of course isnt original if the bike was sold complete. But a killer classic stem for sure.
gravyhound
I have no idea on the bars, the bike is the way I got it from my cousin's husband in 1988 other than the seat, tires , brakes and pedals.
AMixon
QUOTE (Greg_Hanna @ Jan 5 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Oh, those R9s, wow having one of those back made you a god among mortal men! Most of us E-town kids started on R10s and I think someone had an R11 (not sure who) but the pictures of Toby with that Bottema fork coming out of a drained swimming pool was on my wall back then!

Puyries (RIP) was a fantastic local shop and the old man was really a nice guy when I visited him as an 'adult.'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.