Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trails layouts..
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
okibono
Hey folks, can anyone point me in the right direction for the proper sizing of jumps, spacing of jumps, turn radius, ect?

I've checked out Lee's Pump track info, and I am looking into building a nice, flowable, set of jumps and rollers by my house.

TIA
mxmug
Have you purchased pump track nation? If not I highly reccomend it.

Mx Mug
okibono
Yeah, I do have that. Lotsa info. But very pump specific.
mxmug
How much room do you have?
okibono
Alot! Lol if I wanted to I could put up a full sized track! I have enough dirt for that, too!
dnichols
QUOTE (okibono @ Dec 25 2010, 07:30 PM) *
Alot! Lol if I wanted to I could put up a full sized track! I have enough dirt for that, too!

Well, if I had the land..that is what I would do. I think the UCI website had some info at one time.
woodybmx86
I actually am not sure if there is really a trail specific site that had any of that info... that i know of.
okibono
heck, even a race specific site...
tlcrouch355
Here is a link to the UCI track building site.

http://oldsite.uci.ch/BmxTrackBuilding/start_content.html

There are sites/ forums that are dirt jump specific. Out of respect for Mike and site rules I will not mention them. Do some searching they are out there.

woodybmx86
I was thinking you were looking for a site that had specifics on jump sizes, angles, such... those really arent out there. It's kinda trial and error... I will say some general guidlines are to have AT LEAST the length of the biggest jump of the two Between each jump... sometimes more, depending on how steep you want it.
Stileman
definitely trial and error along with some looking at it. It also depends on how crazy you want to make it. The taller the jumps the more disance you need between jumps. If you go about 4 foot high you need a minimum of 26-28 from the landing to the next lip. For each foot of height on lip or landing plan a foot a length to compensate(5 landing to 5 lip add 2 feet).

sometimes to you have to get out to some other trails and see what they got. The main thing about first starting trails is to set up start and finsh areas and your basic turn positioning. aviod up hill at all cost and pay big attention to drainage. If you have a good general layout then changin jumps is the easy part. If you screw yourself with where you turns are then it makes it tough to change. ALso pay attention to sun light.

Trails are the one thing that I love most about BMX. You have the ability to build whatever you want. It gives you a chance to create the terrain and how to ride it.
BS
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Dec 26 2010, 05:35 PM) *
It's kinda trial and error...

QUOTE (Stileman @ Dec 27 2010, 09:41 AM) *
definitely trial and error along with some looking at it.

sometimes to you have to get out to some other trails and see what they got.

You've already gotten some good advice here. I've had trails at 2 of the houses I've lived in as an adult and have built them off and on since I was 12 years old. My dad is an engineer and I'm sort of anal so I do have a few rules of thumb that I go by. I cannot emphasize enough what Stiles said about going places and looking at what others have. I used to have a list of all my favorite features at the trails I'd been to. I walk things off to get length and stand in front of lips to check height. I've even taken photos from the side of a lip to try to figure out it's steepness and I've used those photos to build mine.

These are some recent jumps that I had at my house in Bakersfield, CA before I moved:

This was actually the day that I tore them down so they look sketchy, dry and weedy. There's a 4.5' tall 13' gap into the turn at the top, the turn has about a 15' radius and is about 4' tall. the six pack coming out starts with a 3' tall lip, 11' gap, then 4' x 12', last one is 5' x 13'. I wanted them to get bigger as you went. There's another 180* berm at the end of the six pack and you could actually do laps. The space between the landings and lips (between jumps) is fairly tight at 21' and 23'. I wanted it to not be flat at all between them. The yard I built them in is slightly uphill (the 6 pack is uphill) but I offset this in this manner: The first lip is ground level, then I dug down one foot between first and second then 2 feet into the third so it effectively goes "downhill" even though the yard slopes up slightly. I actually did mess around with measuring radii of the lips and I used a 9' radius on the last lip in the six pack (the 5' tall lip). 9' gave it some pop especially with these shorter gaps. My yard was only about 165' long so it was a little tight. I was trying to figure out a way to get some speed (with the 180* berms) and have some "decent" sized jumps that would be fun. That would keep me sharp for when I get the opportunity to jump some "real" big jumps.

I built this whole thing with only myself and a shovel and no outside dirt. I miss it terribly. I actually cried the day I tore it down (I'm crying in those photos) and I'm choking up a little bit right now. It's been two years ago.

Trails are the best.
BS
Trails are the one thing that I love most about BMX. You have the ability to build whatever you want. It gives you a chance to create the terrain and how to ride it.

+1 bazillion

Just do it (do something). If you don't like it, change it!
BS
C'mon Mike, at least let it hang out in racing for a day or two. Everybody in this thread are racers. Nobody is going to see it in here.
okibono
You guys have been very very helpful...And for you folks who have shot me the PM's, thanks alot!

Ya'll getting me all excited. laugh.gif

And mod's, like I said in the other thread, I am gathering this info to become a better racer! I can't jump for squat, have decent hp, and now I plan on building the worlds largest collection of "gradually increasing in size tabletops"...

TO BECOME A BETTER RACER...

upsetbmx
QUOTE (okibono @ Dec 28 2010, 03:42 AM) *
You guys have been very very helpful...And for you folks who have shot me the PM's, thanks alot!

Ya'll getting me all excited. laugh.gif

And mod's, like I said in the other thread, I am gathering this info to become a better racer! I can't jump for squat, have decent hp, and now I plan on building the worlds largest collection of "gradually increasing in size tabletops"...

TO BECOME A BETTER RACER...

these threads are worth a serious browse-through.

pump tracks
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217062

DJ , Pump Track plans
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=402237

What is Trails?
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225841

okibono
great, great stuff..

thanks.
BS
sometimes to you have to get out to some other trails and see what they got.

To expand on what Colin said earlier, that six pack line that I posted about above actually had influences from several different sets of trails. One of the first ones was the 10-pack line at the Sheep Hills trails in Costa Mesa, CA. That one started with about a 90* berm into it and had 5 sets of doubles that grew as you went, taller lips and bigger gaps. I always thought that if you could get through a section like that that grew as you went you could be considered a "good" rider. (Getting good backside pump to get you into a larger double). That's where the idea of "bigger as you go" kind of started for me and that was one of the lines that inspired it.

I was going to post a link to Timmy Ball's section in the S&M video "BMX Inferno" to showcase the line but I can't find the link right now.

Discussing the inspiration for some of my trails may be boring but I thought it would be fun. Back with more later.
okibono
Keep it coming bs!
BS
Jason Ball - S&M BMX Inferno

Does the link in that thread still work? I can't see it from work.

It's funny that you're from San Diego. There has been some really good trails down there at time (and may still be today, I don't know). I'm sure if you ask around you'll find some and probably plenty of resources for building what you want to build.

Danny Meadows used to have a backyard setup (MLR), although I've never been there. I'm sure he would be a tremendous resource.
upsetbmx
QUOTE (BS @ Dec 29 2010, 06:57 PM) *
. . . .
I was going to post a link to Timmy Ball's section in the S&M video "BMX Inferno" to showcase the line but I can't find the link right now.

Discussing the inspiration for some of my trails may be boring but I thought it would be fun. Back with more later.

you can watch it on BMX Movie Database: http://bmxmdb.com/films/152-Bmx-Inferno

i also was heavily influence by that video. back around 95/96 i watched it all the time. not just the 10 pack, but also some of the other stuff, like having a 1 foot tall bump jump set about 12 or 14 feet back from a pit/bowl then a double out of it. see 00:40 in the Jason Ball section.
BS
QUOTE (upsetbmx @ Dec 29 2010, 02:45 PM) *
like having a 1 foot tall bump jump set about 12 or 14 feet back from a pit/bowl then a double out of it.

It's funny that you brought that up. That was going to be the next item of discussion.

For me, there's almost no better feeling than having a long, low jump that dives down and then into a bigger, steeper lip that just pops you right up. One example that I was going to give was at the Twin Palms trails in Riverside, CA they used to have a setup like this. Also at Twin Palms the had that little bump-jump kicker that dropped you down into a ravine and then a bigger, steeper tabletop jump after. Pretty sure that one is featured in the Schwinn video "American Muscle". Brian Foster manuals into it, bump jumps it and then 360's the table if I remember right.

Great feeling. Dive down and then...BOOST!!!
BS
Forgot to say: It's not exactly like that but on that six pack it's one of the reasons the first lip is at ground level. It's just even with the ground (not dug down in front of it) and then it's only 3 feet tall. Then after the landing it's dug down into a bigger lip. That's one of the feelings I was going after with that one.
BS
Along the lines of that jump down into a pit and then boost out of it:

One of the biggest rushes I've had with a situation like that was at Bo Usher's trails in Pomona, CA. These were built into a hillside and traversed the hillside. There was a section of jumps that then dove down into a ravine. You'd get to mach speed and then hit a lip out of the ravine. 180 degree berm to the right and then jump down into the ravine again to a lip where you could boost it straight or hip it to the left. These were some of the best "roller coaster" type feeling trails I have ever ridden. I'm not sure they inspired that much for me at home becuase my area was flat but the hillside and the ravine made for a cool rush of speed. These trails were covered pretty well in videos and magazines. I have a few pictures I can post. I need to find some links to some video that highlight these trails (I think they are even featured in that BMX Inferno video linked above but maybe not in Timmy Ball's section).

Trails inspiration is awesome.
BS
This picture is from the old Bo Usher's trails. This is on the jump out of the ravine. Super fun dive in and boost out section. Brian Foster at the controls:
okibono
Yeah, that spot used to get alot of ink... Great pic BS.

I was pricing some Bobcat rentals earlier today... biggrin.gif
woodybmx86
QUOTE (BS @ Jan 4 2011, 06:32 PM) *
Along the lines of that jump down into a pit and then boost out of it:

One of the biggest rushes I've had with a situation like that was at Bo Usher's trails in Pomona, CA. These were built into a hillside and traversed the hillside. There was a section of jumps that then dove down into a ravine. You'd get to mach speed and then hit a lip out of the ravine. 180 degree berm to the right and then jump down into the ravine again to a lip where you could boost it straight or hip it to the left. These were some of the best "roller coaster" type feeling trails I have ever ridden. I'm not sure they inspired that much for me at home becuase my area was flat but the hillside and the ravine made for a cool rush of speed. These trails were covered pretty well in videos and magazines. I have a few pictures I can post. I need to find some links to some video that highlight these trails (I think they are even featured in that BMX Inferno video linked above but maybe not in Timmy Ball's section).

Trails inspiration is awesome.

yeah, I was so bummmed... I got out to Cali right after they got torn down. Marvin Loetterle, Stricker, my buddy Chris Rhoades (Goshen to the CA crew) and I headed that way, I got to see where they were. We then headed over to... I believe they were called Backyard Trails... which were in the midst of getting torn down too. but we got to ride.
I also rode Frontyard, 60s, Castillos, Bo's 2, some racer trails in Riverside, Mission, some other downhill trails in San Diego, some trails with a jumnp in to a HUGE jump out down there (featured in a couple vids), Of course Hidden and Sheep, some other random trails in the Bo's area, the Temeculah ones Midget Cory rode alot, some random ones on a mountain that Marvin and Stricker rode alot with a race type 30+ footer I tried to hit while wet, Some ones that the whole SHL crew along with Nasty, stricker, etc, hit (I have lots of video from there), and a few other random ones. I dont remember alot of their names, or even where they were. Most of the time, I just loaded into a car and we hauled out... always a crazy thing to do when riding with Cory... sheesh.
BS
Robbie Morales some 15 years ago at Bo's. This is the hip option at the end of the line:

Shoot woody, I'm from Cali and I haven't been to half of those trails. I'm going to cover a couple of those in a future issue of "Trails Inspirations"! HA!

QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jan 5 2011, 10:43 AM) *
...some other downhill trails in San Diego

I've mentioned this to you before (and you denied it was you. Said it was one of your brothers) I swear I've seen a picture of you in Ride, maybe Snap, at those trails doing something like a one-handed X-up or a toboggon or something. Goatee, full page, color. It may have been on the subscription page. If I can find it I'll scan it and post the pic.
BS
Neal Wood at Bo's:

The lip you see in the background of this photo is the one that Brian Foster is jumping in the Ride cover photo above.
BS
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jan 5 2011, 10:43 AM) *
60s

The 60 trails were also an inspiration. They were downhill. You would hit this little 180 degree berm and then you would never pedal again. The first set was just a little tiny double and then the last set was like a 6' tall lip and 20-something foot gap. It was one of the best feelings in the world, starting out on just this little nibbler set and they by the end the jumps were so big you just felt like you were tied onto the end of a bullwhip or something. The section would just take control of you. I was digging around for a picture of Taj Mihelich doing a big Grizz-air there but I couldn't find it.

The 60 was a big inspiration to do a "downhill" set. My yards have always been level but I've tried to simulate it by digging down further after each set and before the next lip. It simulates a downhill section even if you're on flat ground.
okibono
really good stuff....lovin it.
upsetbmx
QUOTE (BS @ Jan 24 2011, 11:43 PM) *
The 60 trails were also an inspiration. They were downhill. You would hit this little 180 degree berm and then you would never pedal again. The first set was just a little tiny double and then the last set was like a 6' tall lip and 20-something foot gap. It was one of the best feelings in the world, starting out on just this little nibbler set and they by the end the jumps were so big you just felt like you were tied onto the end of a bullwhip or something. The section would just take control of you. I was digging around for a picture of Taj Mihelich doing a big Grizz-air there but I couldn't find it.

The 60 was a big inspiration to do a "downhill" set. My yards have always been level but I've tried to simulate it by digging down further after each set and before the next lip. It simulates a downhill section even if you're on flat ground.

where was that? was it in videos?
okibono
Man, still working on this. It's just takin awhile. The money I was gonna use for the skid steer went to, uh, um, my new Standard cruiser. Can't wait to ride a bike that fits me.
BS
QUOTE (upsetbmx @ Feb 27 2011, 08:05 AM) *
where was that? was it in videos?

Rubidoux. North side of the 60 freeway. I can't remember if it was in any videos but there were definitely quite a few magazine pics from there.

QUOTE (okibono @ Feb 27 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Man, still working on this. It's just takin awhile. The money I was gonna use for the skid steer went to, uh, um, my new Standard cruiser. Can't wait to ride a bike that fits me.

Shovels are cheap. I've never used equipment to build anything. Only to tear them down.
okibono
Man, I bought one. But uh, I got a bad back. If I stress it out building then I can't ride for a week or two...or work for that matter.

That allowed me to come to the skid steer decision. Plus, there is alot of dirt to move around.
pnj
bad back = do yoga daily. 20 minutes a day can do a lot for you.
okibono
who what where and how?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.