Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riding trails solo
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
dreamerproject
I LOVE riding trails. It's actually been more of my thing than racing lately. Less pressure to "perform". Just riding and jumping for the joy of it.

Problem is, like most of us over 18, we all have busy lives; work, kids, etc so sometimes it's hard to coordinate a trail sesh with friends. Like today, I wanted to go ride (actually took off work to go do it) but couldnt get schedules to jive. Again, it's not a gripe 'cause I know there's times I cant get away from something. I'm realistic that way. It sucks to grow up! LOL

So, yeah, I could go to the trails alone. No biggie....unless I blew up big time and no one else around to summon help. Let's face it; it could happen. (and did happen to someone I know and thank goodness he wasnt alone or he might have died) It's obviously not an issue at the track or even the skatepark 'cause there's usually people around. That's not necessarily the case at the trails. I've even especially been reluctant to do it with my 7 yr old in tow.

So do any of you ride trails alone and not worry about it? Are you reluctant to for the aforementioned reasons or did so and had something disaterous happen?
BS
I ride trails alone a lot...and I do worry about it, a little.

I try to always have my phone on me and I hope that if something happens I can at least get a 911 call off. This may sound morbid but I'm ready to go when my time comes. I have a wife and two kids but I also have life insurance and a tremendous passion for trails.

I'll admit, if they're really burly I won't do it unless there's somebody around but I do take risks.

I'm 41 and I can't even hardly pay people my age to go ride trails with me. All they want to do is "race". I'm still a racer but there is nothing that I've found in this life that compares with flowing a nice section. The trail riding "crew" gets thinner and thinner for me every year and that really bums me out. I'm not that stoked to ride with teenagers anymore and heck, you can hardly get them to ride the trails anymore. It's actually kind of depressing but what the hell...

Yeah, I ride 'em alone.
dreamerproject
QUOTE (BS @ Oct 8 2010, 09:59 PM) *
I ride trails alone a lot...and I do worry about it, a little.

I try to always have my phone on me and I hope that if something happens I can at least get a 911 call off. This may sound morbid but I'm ready to go when my time comes. I have a wife and two kids but I also have life insurance and a tremendous passion for trails.

I'll admit, if they're really burly I won't do it unless there's somebody around but I do take risks.

I'm 41 and I can't even hardly pay people my age to go ride trails with me. All they want to do is "race". I'm still a racer but there is nothing that I've found in this life that compares with flowing a nice section. The trail riding "crew" gets thinner and thinner for me every year and that really bums me out. I'm not that stoked to ride with teenagers anymore and heck, you can hardly get them to ride the trails anymore. It's actually kind of depressing but what the hell...

Yeah, I ride 'em alone.

That's kinda my feeling about it. It seems like it's all "gates, gates, gates..practice, practice, practice" etc. Lately, that stuff's just gotten old. For the people who are NAG contenders etc, I understand. I'm not one. I love riding for more than just racing...I love it for the joy of riding. Thing is, riding trails IS good "practice" and it's a heck of a lot more laid back.
joelwitte
ya, you def. can't let the fact of riding alone stop you from riding trails, just stay within reason
BS
QUOTE (dreamerproject @ Oct 8 2010, 03:06 PM) *
NAG

I actually have one of those from a few years back. I just don't feel like I need another one. Been there, done that. Worst day at the trails is better than the best day racing? Maybe...

QUOTE (dreamerproject @ Oct 8 2010, 03:06 PM) *
I love riding for more than just racing...I love it for the joy of riding.

Amen. I like to ride. Even at the track, I just plain like to ride. Results be damned. Did I have fun that day? Or not?

QUOTE (joelwitte @ Oct 8 2010, 03:10 PM) *
ya, you def. can't let the fact of riding alone stop you from riding trails, just stay within reason

Yes.
dreamerproject
I'm not hitting even remotely big stuff or even medium stuff. Just dont wanna be the victim of a disaster and not be able to get help. (I dont ride with my phone in my pocket like some do. I'd end up smashing it with my luck)

That said, I may just end up riding alone. I'm not sure what the big hang up is about riding trails other than time constraints. (which, again, I completely understand cuz I have my own) I just know I dig it! (get it? dig it? haha)
Just JeffB now
I used to ride Z Boaz alone pretty frequently (R.I.P. Z Boaz). There was that line in the back with the two no-gap step up`s and then 3 medium doubles that I`d hit all by myself for hours. It was peaceful, quiet, and quite Zen. Then the Kids would show up and start hootin` and hollerin` and the language...geez. Someone needs to talk to their parents...

Oh man, I`ve become THAT guy.

Anyway, I rode some fun stuff by myself. Not really a big deal. Crashed a few times but I`m here to tell about it.

woodybmx86
I ride em alone. or whenever. If its really big... dont know how many times I might do it... so need someone there to see it... hahah.
Yeah BS... feel ya. Teens jsut wanna hit everything... they dont chill... and the guys around here that DO hit the trails, are usually my dirt jump buddies... when eveyrone is sesshioning three whips, flip variations, etc.. doing x-ups and tables just seems, well, eaah.

My bro Brian just called me, told me big trail jam at one of THE places in IN tomorrow... I'm down, but dang it, that place is a little scary, and lots of big dudes will be there... I dont know. we'll see.
dreamerproject
Besides all the worrying about it...it's just not as much fun alone.

Took my 7 yr old to the skatepark this morning. We had a good time and he actually "rolled in" for the first time too. But even he said he likes trails over the skatepark. (The trails we ride has a little pump track that he has a blast on.)
C Panzera
QUOTE (BS @ Oct 8 2010, 04:59 PM) *
BS ya gotta get to Austin! The OM scene is pretty large these days. Actually, I have been hitting 9th early mornings just to avoid the rush of "New School Filp-Whippers". You D/FW guys make the 2.5 hour trip south and I promise you won't ride alone!!!! laugh.gif
Just JeffB now
QUOTE (C Panzera @ Oct 10 2010, 07:43 PM) *
BS ya gotta get to Austin! The OM scene is pretty large these days. Actually, I have been hitting 9th early mornings just to avoid the rush of "New School Filp-Whippers". You D/FW guys make the 2.5 hour trip south and I promise you won't ride alone!!!! laugh.gif

For sure! Gonna be down there in a week or two with both big bikes (the Full Squish and the Black Market). Probably spend a day at Walnut Creek. There`s a few sweet lines out there, plus I want to get in some good fast miles in while I`m down there.

BS
QUOTE (dreamerproject @ Oct 10 2010, 03:22 PM) *
Besides all the worrying about it...it's just not as much fun alone.

I dunno... I actually like to ride alone. With buddies is good but alone is sometimes nicer.

QUOTE (C Panzera @ Oct 10 2010, 05:43 PM) *

Yeah, the Austin scene seems pretty good with respect to the "mature" rider. I've actually NEVER been there but have wanted to go for quite awhile.
dreamerproject
QUOTE (BS @ Oct 8 2010, 10:59 PM) *
I'm 41 and I can't even hardly pay people my age to go ride trails with me. All they want to do is "race".

Case in point. Saturday, perfect weather, posted up a sesh suggestion (I seem to do it ALL the time) yet no takers AGAIN...and after Lav's deal, not motivated to go at it alone. I dont know alot of the "regulars" at the trail spot I go to, but one has an email address for the trails. Think I'm going to shoot him an email and suggest a facebook page for the spot so regulars can post up if they're going to be there.

It sucks that no one seems to want to ride.
dreamerproject
QUOTE (C Panzera @ Oct 11 2010, 01:43 AM) *

May be doing just that for the Halloween deal. (wanna hit Walnut Creek on the way too)
captincaveman
i only ride alone on the road other than that i never ride alone, you never know whats going to happen. i've seen too many things happen when people are around that i figure theres no reason to take the chance. If i do ride alone, cause like you said us older people have lifes and don't always have the same schedule i fight the urge to lift the tires off the ground haha
C Panzera
QUOTE (dreamerproject @ Oct 16 2010, 02:54 PM) *
May be doing just that for the Halloween deal. (wanna hit Walnut Creek on the way too)

Yeah, Walnut is running sooo good and fast right now(9th too) Pm me if you decide to come down. The Halloween Jam is always a good time

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3725496
HBPUNK
Never ride alone. In 8th grade at Green Hills (transplants call it hidden valley) it was getting dark and I wanted a few more runs by myself. I ended up knocking out 5 teeth a breaking 3 ribs, layed there for 3 hours by myself, I couldnt ride, breath or really move. My parents and friends came and found me and I learned a lot that day.
BS
This thread reads a little different now in light of what happened to T.J. Lavin and this Luke Esgate kid up north. I don't always have a way around riding alone. It's either ride alone or don't ride but it sure makes you think.
C Panzera
Looking back on it, I've cheated death quite a few times riding alone. But if it comes down to a solo sesh or holding the couch down, i'll take my chances. Trails+1
forevercruiserguy
QUOTE (BS @ Oct 11 2010, 10:27 AM) *
I dunno... I actually like to ride alone. With buddies is good but alone is sometimes nicer.

I find it easier to ride alone. Nobody wants to go so they flake and when they do show up it seems to be how quick can we get this over with....

Brian
irideloudpipes
i usually just dig if im by myself which is most of the time, but a bunch of my racer friends build a rollable line thats cool to hit when your alone and want to ride
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.