Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Build For My 9yo
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
dperalta

Last year I decided to build a custom frame for my kid. At 8 years old he was still too small for the 18" completes so I decided to build him a frame with a shorter top tube and rear end. It came out pretty decent and he's been killing it @ the skatepark and trails on it for a year.
Last week I decided it was time to build a new frame with an 18" TT and 12.5" CS. It couldn't have come out more perfect.

-Full cromo frame Just over 3.5lbs.
-Shortened DK Cruiser fork 1.5lbs
-Profile hubs laced to Alienation hoops
-Profile cranks
-Elemental stem
-27x9 Drive
Just over 18lbs complete!

Pics to follow as soon as I figure out why I can't upload them to Vintage as attatchments.

David

TuRBo Todd Britton
awesome! good for you!
irodetoday
nice work daddyo
jesboogie
Sick scoot, good work daddy o

jd
87PC
Very cool! How can I get one for my soon to be 9 year old?
dperalta
QUOTE (87PC @ Sep 17 2010, 09:27 AM) *
Very cool! How can I get one for my soon to be 9 year old?

Any custom frame builder can buildmthe frame and fork for you. I think it's best to just modify a good 20"-24" fork. You'll need to get a set of 150-160mm profile cranks and get a set of wheels built that can use a small one peice driver. I picked up a set of profile hubs used for about $100 and laced up the wheels myself, used an old set of 6.5" expert bars etc....
Jim Johnson
DAMN!

can you make a 20in full size for me!!????
dperalta
QUOTE (Jim Johnson @ Sep 17 2010, 12:40 PM) *
DAMN!

can you make a 20in full size for me!!????

Im starting on my cruiser frame this weekend. I don't see any reason for a custom frame if you can find something on the market that works. There are alot of great frames out there. I the case of this bike, there aren't any bikes available for an expert level 9 year old. The bikes on the market that are his size are toy quality. Fit and a few other companies make decent imported completes, but they're heavy. I'm building a 24" race frame for myself for the same reason, I'm 5'4" and most cruiser frame are just too big.

upsetbmx

so those are 18" wheels ? has he also ridden 20" before? like a mini or junior ?
dperalta
QUOTE (upsetbmx @ Sep 18 2010, 12:47 AM) *
so those are 18" wheels ? has he also ridden 20" before? like a mini or junior ?

Yeah, he's been racing for a few years and is currently on a junior. He also has a junior cruiser. Neither one of those bikes are of any use at the trails or skatepark. That's why he needed this bike.I'll try to post some video of him on it when I can. This bike has made a huge difference in his riding. He's 9 ex, and while I want him to do well racing, I try to keep him doing all types of riding. We went mountain biking today and we'll hit SkateParkofTampa tomorrow night. He's like a mini Barry Nobles. Lol
bmxdadio
QUOTE (dperalta @ Sep 17 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Any custom frame builder can buildmthe frame and fork for you. I think it's best to just modify a good 20"-24" fork. You'll need to get a set of 150-160mm profile cranks and get a set of wheels built that can use a small one peice driver. I picked up a set of profile hubs used for about $100 and laced up the wheels myself, used an old set of 6.5" expert bars etc....

I have a set of SUBROSA 18 forks for sale.. 60 white or for ten bucks more I'll powder coat them to your color choice-- basics
speedracer43
QUOTE (dperalta @ Sep 14 2010, 09:59 AM) *
Last year I decided to build a custom frame for my kid. At 8 years old he was still too small for the 18" completes so I decided to build him a frame with a shorter top tube and rear end. It came out pretty decent and he's been killing it @ the skatepark and trails on it for a year.
Last week I decided it was time to build a new frame with an 18" TT and 12.5" CS. It couldn't have come out more perfect.

-Full cromo frame Just over 3.5lbs.
-Shortened DK Cruiser fork 1.5lbs
-Profile hubs laced to Alienation hoops
-Profile cranks
-Elemental stem
-27x9 Drive
Just over 18lbs complete!

Pics to follow as soon as I figure out why I can't upload them to Vintage as attatchments.

David

Can we get the full specs on the geometry? What builder did it for you?
I am doing this for sure. I searched the world for a Mirraco Project 16 and my kid loves it but I want to migrate him to an 18" and the Mirracos are impossible to find and this is much cooler anyway.

Any idea who sells 18" rims?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
geharrison
QUOTE (speedracer43 @ Sep 19 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Can we get the full specs on the geometry? What builder did it for you?
I am doing this for sure. I searched the world for a Mirraco Project 16 and my kid loves it but I want to migrate him to an 18" and the Mirracos are impossible to find and this is much cooler anyway.

Any idea who sells 18" rims?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alienation Black Sheep are available in 18"

The custom is sweet for sure. Checkout S&M. The LTF is available in an 18".
dperalta
I built the frame myself. The tubing is .035 wall chromoly, 1 1/4" toptube, 1 3/8" down tube and 5/8" for the back half. I cut the dropout from 3/16" chromoly plate. I am not a weldor by trade but I have a tig and am somewhat proficient with it. I chose to modify a light DK race for by shortening it and making new dropouts for it since my son is 9 and I am sure it's more than up to the task. It weighs about 1.5 lbs compared to about 2.5 lbs for the 18" forks that come on most completes.
His friend has a really nice Fit PRK18 and we weighed that frame @ around 5.5 lbs.

Frame
18" top tube
12.5" chain stays 3/8 dropouts.
ht angle 74deg
st angle 72deg
bb height 1 5/8"
weight 3lbs 10oz.
Integrated headtube and externally butted seat tube.
Total cost of materials around $80.00
Time in the garage to build the frame about 3 days.

J&R stocks the rims and will cut spokes if you want to build your own wheels. If not I'm sure they'll be happy to build a set for you. Tires on the other hand can be very hard to find. For cranks, unless you can get a set off of one of the import completes, you will have to buy profiles. I had a few Profile spindles and bottom brackets laying around so I just had to buy a set of 150mm arms with they keep in stock. A set of morphine 6.5" expert bars fit the bill perfectly.
He got a few hours in at the skatepark last night and all I can say is without this bike he would not be able to ride the way he does and would not enjoy it at all. Try to throw around a 75lb Wallmart clunker @ the skatepark and you'll have some idea what it's like for an 80lb kid to ride a 25lb bike.
it took me 3 days in the garage to build the frame alone but it's absolutely worth it when I see him ride it.
speedracer43

I can't thank you enough for this. I emailed Standard today and they said they can do it custom so I needed the specs.
I had the same thought on the weight for the small guys. I bought him an 18" DK and it weighed 24.5 lbs.
Both my race and park 24s weigh less which is crazy.

That is when I found him a 16" but he is rapidly outgrowing it so I figure I will pass it to his 6 year old brother who is currently riding a 15 lb Redline 16" racing pit.

The funny thing is your 18" weighs the same as the Mirraco 16" which is aluminum.

I wish I could find somebody that did custom aluminum as that might be the way to go.
I will hit up J&R on the wheels.

I don't have your skills (or time) to do it myself but agree it is worth it.

Thanks again for the info. We are in Celebration Florida so we may see you at the SPot some time. You should bring him over to Vans for bike night one time.
We are there most Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Steve

QUOTE (dperalta @ Sep 20 2010, 11:10 AM) *
I built the frame myself. The tubing is .035 wall chromoly, 1 1/4" toptube, 1 3/8" down tube and 5/8" for the back half. I cut the dropout from 3/16" chromoly plate. I am not a weldor by trade but I have a tig and am somewhat proficient with it. I chose to modify a light DK race for by shortening it and making new dropouts for it since my son is 9 and I am sure it's more than up to the task. It weighs about 1.5 lbs compared to about 2.5 lbs for the 18" forks that come on most completes.
His friend has a really nice Fit PRK18 and we weighed that frame @ around 5.5 lbs.

Frame
18" top tube
12.5" chain stays 3/8 dropouts.
ht angle 74deg
st angle 72deg
bb height 1 5/8"
weight 3lbs 10oz.
Integrated headtube and externally butted seat tube.
Total cost of materials around $80.00
Time in the garage to build the frame about 3 days.

J&R stocks the rims and will cut spokes if you want to build your own wheels. If not I'm sure they'll be happy to build a set for you. Tires on the other hand can be very hard to find. For cranks, unless you can get a set off of one of the import completes, you will have to buy profiles. I had a few Profile spindles and bottom brackets laying around so I just had to buy a set of 150mm arms with they keep in stock. A set of morphine 6.5" expert bars fit the bill perfectly.
He got a few hours in at the skatepark last night and all I can say is without this bike he would not be able to ride the way he does and would not enjoy it at all. Try to throw around a 75lb Wallmart clunker @ the skatepark and you'll have some idea what it's like for an 80lb kid to ride a 25lb bike.
it took me 3 days in the garage to build the frame alone but it's absolutely worth it when I see him ride it.

jumpinjim
My son is riding an 18" Hoffman. He just loves riding. I switched the seat and post,other than that is stock. Nice lookin bike you've made.
dperalta
Speedracer, no problem. If there is any way I can help let me know. I'm starting on a similar frame this week but this on will be a very small 20" for my neighbors son. He is turning 12 and ready to move up to a 20" from his 18" Fit. We just built a nice set of wheels for that bike. I can see what my neighbor will sell them for. Old profile high flange hubs, completely rebuilt with new bearings and a 10t driver laced to Alienation hoops.
We love Vans but only get over there about every 4-6 weeks. Usually on Sunday night. I'd be glad to meet you over there some time so your kid can ride Jareds bike and see how it works for him.
I could be talked into building a couple more frames if need be, but getting Standard to build you a custom would be pretty sweet.

David
speedracer43
Would love to check out the bike. Let me know the next time you head this way.
I am also interested in those wheels and how much you could do the frame for. Standard is not cheap. Not that it should be.

my email is st@allstarvh.com
Name is Steve

Thanks!

QUOTE (dperalta @ Sep 21 2010, 09:11 AM) *
Speedracer, no problem. If there is any way I can help let me know. I'm starting on a similar frame this week but this on will be a very small 20" for my neighbors son. He is turning 12 and ready to move up to a 20" from his 18" Fit. We just built a nice set of wheels for that bike. I can see what my neighbor will sell them for. Old profile high flange hubs, completely rebuilt with new bearings and a 10t driver laced to Alienation hoops.
We love Vans but only get over there about every 4-6 weeks. Usually on Sunday night. I'd be glad to meet you over there some time so your kid can ride Jareds bike and see how it works for him.
I could be talked into building a couple more frames if need be, but getting Standard to build you a custom would be pretty sweet.

David

dperalta
I asked the neighbor and he isn't interested in selling the wheels because he's planning to have me lace the hubs to 20" hoops for his kids new bike.
Let me finish the 2 frames I'm starting on this week and we can discuss building one. Maybe well head over to Vans this Sunday or next.
speedracer43
Sounds good. Let me know.

Thanks

QUOTE (dperalta @ Sep 21 2010, 06:19 PM) *
I asked the neighbor and he isn't interested in selling the wheels because he's planning to have me lace the hubs to 20" hoops for his kids new bike.
Let me finish the 2 frames I'm starting on this week and we can discuss building one. Maybe well head over to Vans this Sunday or next.

h00ligun
very nice work, you did a great job
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.