Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quaker State Nationals Roll Call
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
Candy
A lot of people came and set up their EZ ups today, not sure what space will be left by 2 o'clock tomorrow. There's plenty of space, you just might be 2nd row.
DHennet
QUOTE (Candy @ Aug 12 2010, 10:12 PM) *
A lot of people came and set up their EZ ups today, not sure what space will be left by 2 o'clock tomorrow. There's plenty of space, you just might be 2nd row.

Thanks for the heads up. Second row is no problem. I haven't found a bad seat at a track yet. Any day at the track is a good day!

-Dan
bmxchauffer
Bill, do you guys need a cake or something for Krystal? I should have some time Friday night after racing to make one if needed. I'll have the granddaughter overnight but she'll be in bed by 10:00 so I would have enough time to bake and then frost when I get up at 6:00. I just baked three batches of chocolate chunk brownies for concession and 2 dozen jumbo muffins for Saturday morning as an alternative breakfast. There will be blueberry, triple berry, banana nut and chocolate chip. Let me know!! Can't wait to see you all!
Bill Hayden
Last I knew, Diane said she was bringin something, I just have to make sure when do he happy b-day stuff I get ya.
obsessive
46 motos for the pre race, the track is pristine. All of the pre race hype i heard about the Cedar Crew was right on. Nice work to those guys. Good battles in a couple classes. 9X was loaded with studs and 2 racks . Alltows Robinson got the win.

Also, on the Team Front.........Jacob Hootman was riding around in an Alltow jersey. Kid is a stud so congrats to Alltow for that nice pickup.
Dexter
racing was great today, the facility is fantastic! and thanks to OB for gettin me on the Mic today.. had a blast!
Dexter
Todays race was great! all the kids from our local track made their mains on what seemed to be a perfect day for racing.. the track was sweet, the weather was perfect, and the racing was HOT!.. great weekend, and The Major took two 2nds in class and cruiser... cant wait till tomorrow.
Racer
I remember that pink Excite me sign. That was back when Pink was still a cool color. I dont remember racing the National BITD though. Maybe my bike was stolen or something. I lived in the area from 88-93 on and off
obsessive
the country out here is breathtaking. What a nice race for the ABA to cap off their East Coast tour (not counting disney).

95 motos today

no JD

3 A Pro's

Weather was beautiful again and the track was real nice. Started to neeed some work at the end of the race and I'm sure they'll have that baby ready to go for tomorrow.

Rennen win Factory
AllTow wins Bike Shop
? wins Trophy

Expert classes that i can remember

8X Kruysman
9X Robinson
10X Pancho Larsen
11X Cloutier
12X Moore
13X ?
14X Roarty
15X Hootman
16X Vargo (killing it today)
17-18X ?
19-27 ?

anyway, i'm tired now but had a blast today.

coletrain
QUOTE (obsessive @ Aug 14 2010, 06:08 PM) *
the country out here is breathtaking. What a nice race for the ABA to cap off their East Coast tour (not counting disney).

95 motos today

no JD

3 A Pro's

Weather was beautiful again and the track was real nice. Started to neeed some work at the end of the race and I'm sure they'll have that baby ready to go for tomorrow.

Rennen win Factory
AllTow wins Bike Shop
? wins Trophy

Expert classes that i can remember

8X Kruysman
9X Robinson
10X Pancho Larsen
11X Cloutier
12X Moore
13X ?
14X Roarty
15X Hootman
16X Vargo (killing it today)
17-18X ?
19-27 ?

anyway, i'm tired now but had a blast today.

Spencer Cole won the 8X class ....Thanks again for announcing today...killer job. Stacy Cole
obsessive
Dude, so sorry on that one. How did I forget about Cole Train going wire to wire?

My bad, was throwing stuff out there off the top of my head.

Spencer was rocking it!!!!
Racer
3 A Pros or 3 AA Pros?
For a National ?????
Bill Hayden
Erick, 3 A pros, total of 95 motos yesterday and 89 today, fun track, great people. All good
deluxx bmx
QUOTE (Bill Hayden @ Aug 15 2010, 10:32 PM) *
Erick, 3 A pros, total of 95 motos yesterday and 89 today, fun track, great people. All good

+100....in a few weeks in Reno they will have 5 racks of A pros.....
Racer
How many AA pros at the race?
Still 3 A pros? For a ABA National?
Or was it a single point race?
Bill Hayden
It was a national, the 29 moto race in Cali had pros. Also, there was an NBL regional and last chance qual in Conn, Erick.
tj99
Track was in great shape..... I had a great time, even with no practice and missing my first moto due to the fact I could not race in Bethel (not qualified for regional championship).

It was awesome racing against the living Legend Kent Elliott (Cheri's brother). Looking forward to more ABA races soon!!!
Mcromwell
The east coast aba nationals have not drawn a large pro moto count consistently this year. they are not advertised as a pro race either in the defense of the ABA

We had a blast and my son loved the track. The 6x class is pretty much the same anywhere east of Arizona as they all travel so it was our usual crowd of bad little dudes and we pulled a pair of seconds and a 4th on the cruiser so it made the trip a little bit sweeter

I think I am having more fun by the week and this one was perfect for little guys. Had a mini golf course and Ice Cream on site as well as a little store.

We would go back for this one if it was on the 2011 ABA schedule. All of the staff was great and we felt like it was one of the best atmospheres we have seen. Great job Cedar BMX see you next year I hope

Mike and Braydon Cromwell
Bob D
QUOTE (tj99 @ Aug 16 2010, 06:06 PM) *
Track was in great shape..... I had a great time, even with no practice and missing my first moto due to the fact I could not race in Bethel (not qualified for regional championship).

It was awesome racing against the living Legend Kent Elliott (Cheri's brother). Looking forward to more ABA races soon!!!

O.K. I said I would never post again!!!! BUT I have to tell everyone TJ99's story!

He pre-signed to race. BUT he decided to race NBL @ Bethel instead, but he wasn't pre-qualified to race saturday. So he drives like a madman from Conn, to CedarBMX...gets there for the start of the 2nd round of moto's. Never been to the track, didn't look at the track, literally gets out of his car, rides up the dirt hill as they are announcing moto 29(his moto). See's me and asks me where slot 9 is! So I was like "where were you?" He was like "well they wouldn't let me race at Bethel so I decided to come here!!!!!"
Anyway, he gets in the gate and being a NBLer he hits the gate so hard, he almost kills himself! Gets back on the gas and goe's into the first berm last, I lose sight of him as most of the berm is hidden from the gate. He comes back into sight leading the pack! I was in awe! I tanked my moto and didn't make the main.
So I talk to TJ99, tell him when to go on the gate, he goes up for his main, his gate is bad, but not as bad as the first one. He goes into the first turn in 5th, comes back into sight in the lead, and proceeds to win the main, with guys trying to bump and park him all over the place! He just rides it like he stole it!..... 2 laps, 2 wins, thanks for coming!
Now he's going to start racing more ABA??? Well maybe he'll help me out? Conn district #1 cruiser chase just got really interesting. I'm sure the ABA NAG # chase will be interesting too!
Well, I just had to share that. TJ99 is a cool dude, and has helped me a lot along the way!

Big Thanks to the staff at CedarBMX for kicking serious @$$ all weekend long, and especially to ROB VARGO for sunday mornings pep talk! He got my head on straight and I was able to get 5th sunday! Thanks to everyone!
Bill Hayden
Toms was a great race!
CedarBMX
Bob D, Thanks for sharing that story, I remeber TJ99's race really well and I had no idea he had just showed up like he did. All of the racing was fantastic over the weekend and we really hope to see many of the riders that participated come back again real soon.

No big deal about the pep talk either Bob, you knew what you had to do and went out and proved it.

We enjoyed hosting the event and hearing so many compliments about our facility, and if I missed telling anyone in person...thanks so much for coming!
bmxchauffer
I am so glad everyone had such a great time. It was a beautiful weekend for racing. I'm bummed that I missed Sunday's action but I woke up with one of those sinus headaches that pound continuously if you even move your head the slightest bit. My son took one look at me and decided it wasn't worth it if I was going to be in pain all morning. All day Friday and Saturday I heard nothing but compliments about our track as I'm sure Rob, Mark and Candy did as well. We had so much fun and for a change I got to watch the races although I did keep checking with the people in concession and they kept telling me to go sit and enjoy! I want to thank all the volunteers for givving me the opportunity to watch a race for a change. You guys rocked!!! You already know how much I love Cedar, I'm just glad everyone else was able to see what I see every week and fall in love with Cedar as well!!!!
Racer
Thanks Bill.
Im just shocked. I dont ever remember a ABA National with 3 Pros. Heck the 1980 NBL State Championships had 4 Pros show up. 3 raced 16X *&^%^$#$ since the 4th pro refused to race with no added money.
Everyone keeps talking about the sports progressing.
29 Motos for a California National and 3 Pros for a National near the metro centers of Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey.
This on a track that has been there since dirt was invented.

If they keep progressing the sport whats next next?
No pros? California Nationals with moto counts in the teens ROFL.

Yet everyone backs the NBL and ABA 110%
Just frustrated Bill, as my vision for a new sanction would rock the BMX community and everyone just keeps taking their medicine.
justinuv
i remember while at the track them announcing somebody was video taping the nationals for a podcast on itunes. i cant remember the person name and i cant find it on itunes. anybody know the persons name? or have found it? thanks
tsmith9233
Bootny Lee...
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bootny-...bmx/id371568440
Bill Hayden
Erick, we have discussed your vision, and I think it while different, it would get kids involved. The sport for a number reasons has devolved
BmXchicofNY
Def. a fun national, I wish it was at cedar every year! Lots of good racing even with the small moto count (95 sat, 89 sun). Thanks to the Vargos and everyone else who got the track ready for the national, it was in awesome condition and a great facility run by awesome people.

Christian the Machine Cloutier was on fire this weekend, dominating his class after a month off due to an injury-he kicked butt!

Sam Wow showed how hard shes been working with another double win in 14 girls, look out for her at the aba & nbl grands!

Jena Sagendorf and Lexa Jones gave a good battle all weekened with Jena taking the win sun and lexa on sat.

Kyle Rittenhouse showed he can hang with the west coast boys in 10ex! Watch our for Kyle!

Rj Vargo looked smooth and way fast in the 16ex/cruiser class and took home some wins for the weekend. Rj was riding AWESOME this weekend!

Cameroon Moore is back in action and made his wins look easy while he aired out the tripple.

Evan Sinchack picked up a nice 2nd in 9ex on Sunday, welcome to the YGs team!

Young guns had a small rider turn out but still managed to take 3rd on sat and 2nd on sunday against some well known factory teams such as Rennen, GHP and more.
Racer
LOL Bill I purposely havent shared Half my vision or plans for running a new sanction. So not even you or Brett know half of what Im thinking. wink.gif
Just weird that no one else seems sad that after 35 years as a sport, the biggest sanction in the world draws just 3 Pros to a National in a major metro market and no one cares. I think Pro Racing is a huge part of the success of any racing sport or sport for that matter.
obsessive
Racer

Look, if this were Rockford, or South Park, I get your thoughts. But, you have the NBL Grands, Reno (is it a pro race?) coming up along with the Supercross Chula race. Races that the pro's are training for. Most of these guys are not going to want to risk it for a small race in Pennsylvania. I just don't have a problem with it. Now, like I said, if it were Rockford or Nashville then I'd be concerned.

OB
ac463
QUOTE (obsessive @ Aug 18 2010, 11:48 PM) *
Racer

Look, if this were Rockford, or South Park, I get your thoughts. But, you have the NBL Grands, Reno (is it a pro race?) coming up along with the Supercross Chula race. Races that the pro's are training for. Most of these guys are not going to want to risk it for a small race in Pennsylvania. I just don't have a problem with it. Now, like I said, if it were Rockford or Nashville then I'd be concerned.

OB

im training for nbl grands and still showed up to throw down at cedar.......its what we do we ride bikes and race bmx......im not gonna stay off my bike cause im afraid to fall before grands lol....sucks to show up and only have two other guys to race when last time i was at this race we had semis....but we still went hard had fun and made some money.
obsessive
but ac, thats cause your a beast man. Seriously though, I like your take, but I'm not sure its the norm. Most of the guys I know are looking toward the big show, that's all i'm saying. And to them, skipping the smaller race is part of getting ready (right or wrong its their choice).

From my standpoint, we only had 3 pro's but you guys still raced hard and it was competitive. Sorry you didn't have more to play with.

Best of Luck

OB
CedarBMX
QUOTE (Racer @ Aug 18 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Just weird that no one else seems sad that after 35 years as a sport, the biggest sanction in the world draws just 3 Pros to a National in a major metro market and no one cares. I think Pro Racing is a huge part of the success of any racing sport or sport for that matter.

I was hoping for more pros, but it didn't turn out that way. Keep in consideration that there were those NBL LCQ's going on all over the place and there were plenty of reasons for people to hit a big race close to home. It's all good though, we were very happy with the moto counts for the weekend, it was a big increase from 3 years ago when the ABA rig rolled into town.
One thing though...I don't consider this a major metro area, it's not an easy race to fly into. If you want to find a good price on flights, you pretty much have to look to Philly or New York, which are around 2 hour drives.
Regardless, we were very happy with the turnout and all of the compliments we received.

The main thing is we had the top notch announcer here for the race. wink.gif
jj
Rob, I heard lots of good things about the race and track from my riders and other riders. I was pretty bent that I wasn't able to make it down! The family scheduled a party on me and I would have ended up on double secret probation if I ditched it.
cornfed
We had a great time @ Cedar BMX. The track was fun and the race went off without a hitch.
ac463
QUOTE (obsessive @ Aug 19 2010, 07:57 AM) *
but ac, thats cause your a beast man. Seriously though, I like your take, but I'm not sure its the norm. Most of the guys I know are looking toward the big show, that's all i'm saying. And to them, skipping the smaller race is part of getting ready (right or wrong its their choice).

From my standpoint, we only had 3 pro's but you guys still raced hard and it was competitive. Sorry you didn't have more to play with.

Best of Luck

OB

ha no i know its not the norm....not like i took time off from training to recover for this race, which might explain my lack of a first str8 last weekend ha......but its hard for me to sit home and not go race when i have the chance to....its why we got into it in the first place was to race and have fun....i train just like the next guy and definitly train for the big races...but i couldnt pass up cedar, love the track and the people it was a good weekend for me.
Racer
I know where Cedar is smile.gif Ive raced it many time s.
See my Avatar that was taken at a York, PA National.
I dont go by Moto Counts. In the old day there were a ton less classes.
The track was always one of the smoothest and coolest with all the trees.
Kevin C for President!
CedarBMX
QUOTE (Racer @ Aug 20 2010, 02:41 AM) *
I know where Cedar is smile.gif Ive raced it many time s.
See my Avatar that was taken at a York, PA National.
I dont go by Moto Counts. In the old day there were a ton less classes.
The track was always one of the smoothest and coolest with all the trees.
Kevin C for President!

You should check back sometime, Kevin C. hasn't ran the track for 7 years.
bmxchauffer
My kids have raced Cedar through 3 different track operators and I only purchase bikes and accessories from the original Cedar Track Operator - Dave Johns. Now, I can't attest to how things were when Dave ran the track but I can to the others and in my personal opinion Rob Vargo and Mark Merrifield and their families and track crew have done more for the sport of bmx at Cedar than either of the other two, and I mean no disrespect to the former t.o.'s. They both did what they could with what they had at the time. Under Rob and Mark, memberships have increased, we've had two Nationals in 4 yrs., for the past I believe 6 but possibly only 5 years the PA State Finals have been held at Cedar, (that only happens when you get enough points through new memberships and renewals), they've replaced all the old run down buildings, the track is in the best condition it's ever been, our concession food is actually good and reasonably priced and we're a tight knit group that enjoys our track and all it has to offer. I almost forgot we've been a Top Ten East Coast track every year since Rob took over. So, Rob Vargo for President!!!
obsessive
QUOTE (CedarBMX @ Aug 19 2010, 01:59 PM) *
The main thing is we had the top notch announcer here for the race. wink.gif

Click Here

Flattery will get you everywhere my friend biggrin.gif

CedarBMX
HA HA...That's all you Brad!!
Mr Rosh
The race went off without a hitch. We had a great time at the Red Barn Village. Only regret was not having time for the family putt-putt tournament. I've been racing at Cedar since 1988 and must say Rob and Co. have done a tremendous job with the track and facilities. I really like the "old" new layout, the first turn needed that for YEARS! It was cool having an obstacle off camber coming out of the first turn and the unique "wedge" between the two doubles. Definitely one of the smoothest tracks I've ever ridden. Rob showed his true love and committment to the track and riders when he was in the 2nd turn all day on Saturday trying to patch up the divet the rain had caused by getting under the Soil-Tac. His perseverence paid off as the 2nd turn was rock solid and a non-issue on Sunday. We always look forward to coming "home" to race Cedar. BTW...I definitely would not of said "home" when Kevin C. and ComPlains Bike Shop were involved. Hats off to a great track and a great race. I am sure the ABA was dually impressed.
CedarBMX
Let's back up a bit here...Kevin did a great job at running the track, so much that he was inducted into the ABA Track Operator Hall of Fame. When I mentioned to Racer to check back sometime, I just wanted to point out that the track operators had changed quite a while ago, and thought maybe he didn't know. I certainly didn't want to see anything personal said about anyone.
Bill Hayden
Hats off to all that have kept it running over the years
Plainsbike
QUOTE (CedarBMX @ Aug 21 2010, 06:49 AM) *
Let's back up a bit here...Kevin did a great job at running the track, so much that he was inducted into the ABA Track Operator Hall of Fame. When I mentioned to Racer to check back sometime, I just wanted to point out that the track operators had changed quite a while ago, and thought maybe he didn't know. I certainly didn't want to see anything personal said about anyone.

Thank You Rob. Everyone please, let's not take a fantastic weekend and what I consider the best run & better run BMX track ever SINCE I left it in 2003 and turn it into something else.

What many people don't realise about Cedar is that I really think by now it is probably the longest running ABA track, will be 30 years old come next year, in the same location that it started from. Not too many tracks out their that can claim credit such as this.

Why has it lasted? From the very beginning when Dave Johns opened the track it always had a good group of people behind it. Dave had a great group, when I took it over in '85 we did the same thing, always had that core group of hardworking individuals that stuck together thru the good times and the bad, and made it all work. I hosted 3 nationals, 1990, 97 & 99 and I loved every minute of them. Throughout those years the track progressed and it is the responsibility of the succeeding track Operator to take things to the next level. When I stepped out in March of 2003 I handed the track to a group that within 6 months damn near killed it and if it wasn't for Rob stepping in at that moment it probably would have ended right then and there.

Since Rob & company has taken over they took Cedar way into the future, new reg/snack bar, paved staging..new gate, revamped the electric, they changed the track around a bit, went back to the "Old School" layout, but definitly have put their heart & soul into the track.

As far as some of the naysayers, yeah..I made some mad, but this isn't about me, it's about the best run BMX track I think out there, and I also think there are many people with this same opinion.

Congratulations Rob, Candy , Mark & the rest of the crew at Cedar BMX Park.

Kevin
Dexter
QUOTE (obsessive @ Aug 20 2010, 11:41 PM) *
Click Here

Flattery will get you everywhere my friend biggrin.gif

Oh man, and here I thought he was talkin about the pre race! LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.