Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I ride my om flyer on moutain bike trails
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
Micheletti
I just bought a crooks and castles 26" om flyer. I live in Houston Texas. We have some montain bike trails around the area. Is this type of bicycle equipped to ride this type of trails?
jond63
QUOTE (Micheletti @ Aug 3 2010, 07:52 AM) *
I just bought a crooks and castles 26" om flyer. I live in Houston Texas. We have some montain bike trails around the area. Is this type of bicycle equipped to ride this type of trails?

If it pedals and rolls, you can ride it on trails. Keep it adjusted and replace parts as they break and you should be fine.
It definitely won't be as smooth of a ride as a suspended mountain bike, but sure, you can ride trails all day long. One member here, Tanker Cranker, rides a vintage 20" Mongoose on the local Denver trails, and he rides them WELL. Passes and drops mountain bike guys every ride.

It takes skill, and can rattle your teeth out...
DanThrift
I've ridden my 2008 OM FLYER at some local trails here in N. Florida. We have tight, sometimes sandy singletrack with alot of roots. Not much elevation. Lots of fun.
furiousstyles
You might want to consider knobier tires, lower gearing, and a front brake if you do it a lot. But I rock mine on trails here in Flagstaff sometimes. There's even a race "Cruiser Nation" here every fourth of July that bombs down a moto-trail here that supposedly OMs have won in the past.
upsetbmx

yes you can ride an OM flyer on mtb trails. (just as much as any single speed rigid mtb).

BUT

an MTBMX aka MTB-Dirt Jumper may actually be a better bike for it. you keep the bmx feel but with the benefit of suspension fork.

Just JeffB now
I`ve got a friend who is incredibly fast on the MTB, but I can stay on his wheel when he`s on his XC bike with gears. WHen he gets on his 21lb single speed rigid 26" it`s all I can do to keep him in sight. Yeah, the OM would do ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.