Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Racing help Freestyle
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Dirt, Vert, Park, Street & Flatland BMX
irodetoday
My son has been racing for 1 year. He has earned his way to 6Ex racing NBL Nationals. But, his passion is Freestyle. I think he's pretty good for a 6yo...ya know drops in...can air out of bowl...bunny hop roll back.....whips and x ups even when racing.........and he's pretty tough too.

Is racing helping his Freestyle?

He has straight out told me......"Freestyle Dad"

But, I keep racing him, thinking he is learning "life skills" and bike skills.

Whatcha think?
upsetbmx
QUOTE (irodetoday @ Jul 29 2010, 02:56 AM) *
My son has been racing for 1 year. He has earned his way to 6Ex racing NBL Nationals. But, his passion is Freestyle. I think he's pretty good for a 6yo...ya know drops in...can air out of bowl...bunny hop roll back.....whips and x ups even when racing.........and he's pretty tough too.

Is racing helping his Freestyle?

He has straight out told me......"Freestyle Dad"

But, I keep racing him, thinking he is learning "life skills" and bike skills.

Whatcha think?

just let him ride both !!

both racing and freestyle have "life skills" !

lumpy
There are quite a few top freestyle riders that have a racing background... Either can help the other.

Brian
wds
So many of the top "freestyle" riders today still have a solid race background.
Brian Foster is the first to come to mind. Van Homan was a top racer as a kid as well. I've read many interviews with street/park riders that say they got started racing as a kid.
-Bill
BS
QUOTE (lumpy @ Jul 28 2010, 10:33 PM) *
There are quite a few top freestyle riders that have a racing background... Either can help the other.

Brian

QUOTE (wds @ Jul 29 2010, 08:13 AM) *
So many of the top "freestyle" riders today still have a solid race background.
Brian Foster is the first to come to mind. Van Homan was a top racer as a kid as well. I've read many interviews with street/park riders that say they got started racing as a kid.
-Bill

Racing doesn't really "help" freestyle but the best (in my opinion) "freestylers" have a racing background. They can haul arse and flow instead of just nibble on foot tall ledges. Brian Foster is the most glaring example but we need to get a little more new school than that. Chase Hawk is one of the best examples and Mike Aitken come to mind. There are many others (heck, even Aaron Ross who still races on occassion). Just keep it fun for him. Don't make it all competitive just let him have fun on the track. Riding all terrain is never a bad thing.
mannequinforce
If the kid can shred, let him shred!

Let him start riding trails. After all, that's what BMX really is. All my friends who are top experts ride trails and they have great style flow and speed.
woodybmx86
Racers:
Adam Strieby, Chris Gerber, Scotty Cranmer, Brandon Dosch, Aaron Ross, Chase Hawk, Mark Potoczny, Todd walkoviack, Taj Mihelich, Mike Aitkin, Steven Murray, Cory Bohan, Rick Moliterno, Jimmy Levan, Brian Foster, Van Homan, Cory Nastasio, etc, etc, etc.
In reality, more freestyle Pros have raced than have not.
irodetoday
Thanks everyone!

I want him to ride freestyle, I just don't want to loose him from racing...he's only 6. The move to X has been tough cause seems like he never has a class....even at Nationals.

I think we'll spend alot of time at Ray's this winter and I'll keep yinz updated.
BS
QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Jul 30 2010, 09:36 PM) *
more freestyle Pros have raced than have not.

co-signed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.